Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 07:08 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,191,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
This forces the dryer exhaust through the water from standard vent pipe?

Do you have a link for this product? This would be another idea I'd be concerned about. By your description it sounds as if this would create excessive pressure in the exhaust vent and restrict the flow of air. The dryer would probably have to work longer to dry clothes since it can't expel the moisture as quick and depending on how air tight it is you may be forcing lint filled air into areas that it shouldn't go. May even be a hazard.

I'd suggest loading up the dryer with and without this attached, run the same load through and time each load to see how long each takes.

I got the contraption at the local hardware store. My carpenter said they use them all the time in Boston. It's just the flex hose going into the top of the water container, which has large holes around the lid. The water mainly is there to catch lint and therefore you don't get that much lint in the dryer. The heat hits the water and steams up and out the holes. In the summer you can just switch the hose to outside. But it takes 25 minutes max to dry a jumbo load no matter if it's towels or whatever. I only do 5 loads of laundry every 2 weeks anyway.....and I don't use this to call myself "green" (clotheslines don't cut it with wind chill of 60+ below for the person posting above)

My kid has asthma and the extra moisture helps, haven't had any problems shocking things when touching them either. Besides, when I had my 113 yr old house that I hadn't finished rehabbing, I DID appreciate the extra heat. So, I have a new house with no heat issues, but I like the moisture. Granted, if I still lived in Houston I probably wouldn't use this thing...even in the winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 08:12 AM

18,468 posts, read 31,630,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Oh? Is there a checklist or some test to take to prove they are "green"??????

If you are REALLY GREEN you sure as heck don't have a computer or Internet connection

I am not green, never profess to be green. I don't give a rats ass about being green.

I just like using a clothesline, always and forever.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:28 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swanstone1 View Post
I got the contraption at the local hardware store. My carpenter said they use them all the time in Boston. It's just the flex hose going into the top of the water container, which has large holes around the lid.
So it's not actually going through the water but instead is blown across the surface of it and then exits the holes? As long as it's not being forced through the water it sounds like pretty good idea now that I think about it.

Quote:
(clotheslines don't cut it with wind chill of 60+ below for the person posting above)
Well they will dry, just take a week. LOL This is driving my Mother nuts because she's in a new house and the laundry room doesn't have a clothes rack yet. She always used to hang stuff to dry in the old house that had a really big rack, it's not about being green but simply to save money and she prefers hanging a lot of stuff.

Quote:
My kid has asthma and the extra moisture helps,
But you might introduce mold and mildew? My understanding is this is one thing they strongly suspect being a cause for asthma. If you think about it newer houses and even older houses have become much more air tight and in the same time frame we have this increase in asthma cases. Houses and buildings don't breathe like they used and you're trapping a lot of indoor air pollution. Add to that kids spend so much more time indoors than they used too.

Old 02-17-2011, 11:08 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,191,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
So it's not actually going through the water but instead is blown across the surface of it and then exits the holes? As long as it's not being forced through the water it sounds like pretty good idea now that I think about it.

Well they will dry, just take a week. LOL This is driving my Mother nuts because she's in a new house and the laundry room doesn't have a clothes rack yet. She always used to hang stuff to dry in the old house that had a really big rack, it's not about being green but simply to save money and she prefers hanging a lot of stuff.

But you might introduce mold and mildew? My understanding is this is one thing they strongly suspect being a cause for asthma. If you think about it newer houses and even older houses have become much more air tight and in the same time frame we have this increase in asthma cases. Houses and buildings don't breathe like they used and you're trapping a lot of indoor air pollution. Add to that kids spend so much more time indoors than they used too.
No siree....just came off a mold lung issue. Change the water after every use as you do the dryer screen as well. I am a mold-a phobe! I just happen to live in a very dry climate. Go see one or better yet buy one....what's a 20 spot? See what works for you...

Old 02-17-2011, 11:41 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,194,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I am not green, never profess to be green. I don't give a rats ass about being green.

I just like using a clothesline, always and forever.
I'm sorry, your post:
Quote:
UM, IF ANYONE uses a dryere, they are not green..
Led me to believe you did give a rats ass....

Old 02-18-2011, 08:30 AM

210 posts, read 471,214 times
Not to mention clotheslines are often prohibited by landlords, property owners, and HOAs because they feel they look tacky. I don't agree with this, but it is what it is.

Anyone can claim living greener if the change they proposing is to lessen their footprint on the environment. Most people live in various stages of 'green'. I commend people who attempt to live more consciously. One effort leads to two, and so forth.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:34 AM

469 posts, read 1,175,092 times
Interesting. What would you call this invention?

Old 02-18-2011, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
I'm sorry, your post:

Led me to believe you did give a rats ass....
No, you must have been led in a wrong direction.

I am just "pro-clothesline". I seems silly when people live in hot climates like over 90 degrees and yet no one has a clothesline. it just seems stupid to pay for a dryer and use electricity, and energy..

So many people profess to being green, yet somehow still use a dryer.

Old 02-18-2011, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feanix View Post
Not to mention clotheslines are often prohibited by landlords, property owners, and HOAs because they feel they look tacky. I don't agree with this, but it is what it is.

Anyone can claim living greener if the change they proposing is to lessen their footprint on the environment. Most people live in various stages of 'green'. I commend people who attempt to live more consciously. One effort leads to two, and so forth.

I know, it is a ridiculous thing, clothes, we all have them yet for some reason here in America it is really frowned upon to see them drying on a clothesline. European people for another reason have no problem with clotheslines at all. They will hang clothes anywhere.....

Ok, i can understand not in the front of the house, but certainly you should be able to hang them in the back.....

It isn't criminal to hang clothes......you would think like what you were asked to look at?????

Old 02-18-2011, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feanix View Post

I know, it is a ridiculous thing, clothes, we all have them yet for some reason here in America it is really frowned upon to see them drying on a clothesline. European people for another reason have no problem with clotheslines at all. They will hang clothes anywhere.....

Ok, i can understand not in the front of the house, but certainly you should be able to hang them in the back.....

It isn't criminal to hang clothes......you would think like what you were asked to look at?????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living