Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 09:51 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,194,123 times

Advertisements

For all the youngsters here..........

Quote:
The Green Thing

In the line at the store, the cashier told the older woman that plastic bags weren’t good for the environment.

The woman apologized to her and explained, “We didn’t have the green thing back in my day.”

That’s right, they didn’t have the green thing in her day. Back then, they returned their milk bottles, Coke bottles and beer bottles to the store. The store sent them back to the plant to be washed and sterilized and refilled, using the same bottles over and over. So they really were recycled.
Read the rest at: The Green Thing/Dusty Baker | Pick's Picks of the Day

Last edited by MissingAll4Seasons; 03-13-2011 at 03:11 PM.. Reason: Copyright violation - TOS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2011, 05:03 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,860,945 times
i think it is largely a good point. we should go back to the ways things used to be for a lot of things.

Old 03-12-2011, 06:03 AM

2,013 posts, read 3,547,254 times
Very nice post and so true.

Old 03-12-2011, 11:43 AM

1,882 posts, read 4,618,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
i think it is largely a good point. we should go back to the ways things used to be for a lot of things.
I was thinking the same thing, but I can't think of what. What can you name?

Old 03-13-2011, 05:45 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,860,945 times
most or all of what it says in the post, but these are very much personal choices that you can't force on people.

something as simple as bringing your own mug to the coffee place... You can do it, and they charge you a lot less, but very few do it. Same thing with bringing your own bags (although the incentive is a lot lower). Using your own bottle to fill water, instead of buying Dasani, etc.

i think everyone who can should grow their own vegetables and compost.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:09 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
I recall it being a big thing to collect glass soda bottles for the return money at the grocery store. I take aluminium cans to the metal recycler and cannot even buy a soda with the pawltry sum collected. Hand me-down clothes, including shoes, were the norm, not the exception (including shoes), as were homemade clothes.

Thanks for posting plwhit, brings back memories. Common sense thriftiness that kept "green" in the wallet was today's "green". What was old is new again....

Old 03-18-2011, 01:37 PM

39 posts, read 167,307 times
I think this a parenting issue. If we as parents continue to put convenience before all else, our children will most likely do the same when given a choice. We can all choose to make good decisions and choices and to teach those around us (children, parents, siblings, co-workers, teachers, etc) to do the same. It is a choice. I do believe that the more we choose to do the right thing, the more likely REAL recycling policies will be implemented once again. Also, we can support businesses to utilize common sense business practices, even if you pay an extra buck here and there.

Thank you for the trip down memory lane... THOSE were the days! THESE days I get a lecture for giving a dozen eggs from my own hen house to a neighbor (Do I have a food handler's licence? Are you kidding me?)

Old 03-18-2011, 08:49 PM

25,721 posts, read 18,797,332 times
Great post. And it's all the more painful going through our modern times when you remember much of the way it used to be. My grandfather was "greener" than most people today. It was a way of life back then. It was an issue of economics and values, not so much saving the planet. It was just simple common sense. The further we go down the leisure class road, the less of that common sense we will have.

Old 03-21-2011, 10:16 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,950,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
For all the youngsters here..........

Read the rest at: The Green Thing/Dusty Baker | Pick's Picks of the Day

Quote:
In the line at the store, the cashier told the older woman that plastic bags weren’t good for the environment.
This is something that really angers me. The audacity of a store clerk to make assumptions about my need, intent, and use of the bags.

I have been to a couple of stores where the clerk argued with me about the bags. I wasn't giving an opinion, I simply asked them to place the gallon jugs I was purchasing into bags. They told me that I didn't need to do that, I can just carry them and it is better for the environment. I explained to them that their job is to check out the products I purchase, not to lecture me on their political ideology and dictate to me their individual opinions. One persisted until I called out their manager to which he apologized repeatedly for the confrontational clerk.

People need to mind their own damn business and attend to their damn job rather than being pretentious little twits dictating their insignificant little opinions. There used to be a time where people had enough respect for others to not presume to tell others what to do.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:32 AM

229 posts, read 439,759 times
Those plastic bags aren't free, you know. I have read that some stores are charging 5 cents per bag to encourage folks to bring their own. Rather like Aldi's and other cut rate grocery places have done with paper bags for years.

Personally, I don't want plastic bags around my gallon jugs. It's easier to carry them with the built in handle, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living