U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 11:49 AM

6,476 posts, read 13,137,023 times

Advertisements

We usually have our yard sprayed every few months to control the fleas and ticks. But haven't done it in a few months because the last time we had the yard treated they must have used a lot of chemicals as our yard smelled like chemicals for days afterwards. Which got me thinking my dogs are walking on the grass that has the dried chemicals on it and that can't be good. Is there a green way that I can control fleas and ticks? Or is there a commercial company that can spray the yard that is green? Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2011, 02:28 PM

788 posts, read 1,247,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
We usually have our yard sprayed every few months to control the fleas and ticks. But haven't done it in a few months because the last time we had the yard treated they must have used a lot of chemicals as our yard smelled like chemicals for days afterwards. Which got me thinking my dogs are walking on the grass that has the dried chemicals on it and that can't be good.Is there a green way that I can control fleas and ticks? Or is there a commercial company that can spray the yard that is green? Any suggestions?
It's possible that your pest control company did not use more chemicals than the usual amount. By law, chemical containers must be rinsed prior to disposal, and the rinsate is then poured into the spray tank. These liquid concentrates often have an odor, which is noticeable, especially if it's new to you.

Another possibility is that the company has changed its chemical that is used to treat the yard. There are new products coming out all the time, with incentives to try them. Many companies change their chemicals, depending upon the season. In the wet weather theyll use powders and in the summer they'll switch to emulsifiable concentrates or flowables.

Check the paperwork that was left at your home at the time of service, and compare the chemical type and quantity to previous services. You can also contact the company to inquire about the unusual odor. Most pest control techs are familiar with their clients, especially when it comes to children, seniors, pets, and family members with lupus, asthma, and various other allergies. If not, they should be made aware of any special circumstances that exist in or around your home.

By all means, continue your search for a green alternative to chemical treatments of your property, and please post your results.

Old 04-01-2011, 03:19 PM

8,310 posts, read 21,754,443 times
There may not be anything better for remediating ticks than chickens. Seriously, chickens are hell on ticks. A guy on my block will toss a couple handfuls of dry catfood throughout his yard every so often - the idea is that it lures starlings and grackles to forage through his grass and eat ticks while they are at it. While I'm not sure that this is actually effective or even sane behavior, he does get a bunch of grackles and starlings picking through his yard.

You could try diatomaceous earth as a dessicant, that supposedly works but I have no first hand experience.

Keep your grass short - that has a real impact.

Here's a product that another city data poster tuned me in to: Bronco Equine Fly Spray Plus Citronella 1 Gallon Bottle
and it's MSDS information...
MSDS: BRONCO EQUINE FLY SPRAY PLUS CITRONELLA SCENT (http://msds.farnam.com/m000773.htm - broken link)

I think it works better than Frontline or any of the spot treatments, although it must be applied daily or every other day. Particularly good as insurance if you are taking your dog somewhere that you know there are ticks.

Bronco is approved for use on dogs (not sure about cats) and, while I'm not sure just how green it really is, the primary ingredient is pyrethrin (natural insect paralyzing agent derived from chrysanthemum seed casings with extremely low mammalian toxicity) in concert with piperonyl butoxide (a synthetic chemical that converts pyrethrin from a paralyzing agent into an insecticide - also very, very low toxicity in mammals). As a kindergartener I remember my classmates having to bathe in a pyrethrin/piperonyl butoxide solution to remediate a head lice infestation. It is still used as a head lice shampoo. Not very toxic stuff. The bronco also has citronella and I notice it keeps mosquitos off of my dog.

Old 04-01-2011, 04:25 PM

11,748 posts, read 27,321,510 times
The green way would be to get rid of the dogs. Ticks rely on mammals for part of their growth cycle. Remove dogs, squirrels, cats, deer, mice and other mammals and the problem will go away.

Chickens, and especially guineas, are supposed to be big bug eaters. However, guineas are loud.

Old 04-01-2011, 05:05 PM

214 posts, read 277,276 times
How to Make a Natural Flea and Tick Repellent for Pets | eHow.com
Natural Tick Repellent

If you can add garlic or vinegar to your pet's diet, the likelihood of being bothered by fleas and ticks decrease.

Adding the same to your diet makes you less attractive to biting insects as well. Homemade Italian dressing on your salads could help you through mosquito season.

Old 04-01-2011, 05:42 PM

383 posts, read 330,771 times
A food grade Fossil Shell Flour(I can't pronounce Diatomaceous Earth but it's the same stuff, you don't want the kind used in pools) will kill them, but it takes about a week, and if you put it in your yard it will kill pretty much all insect life out there. It's safe for animals and humans and edible, so I'd recommend rubbing it into the fur of your animals and powdering their sleeping areas, in the corners or under their sleeping mat, not on top.

Using Peppermint Oil will keep the fleas away as well as some other insects, I'm not sure about the ticks. Just put a few drops onto the palm of your hand rub your hands together and rub them over the coat of your animal.

Garlic is also said to keep fleas AND ticks away. If your animal won't eat it when added to it's food, you can try bologna, which is supposed to have garlic in it as well. Though I'm not sold on this actually working as I think the amount of garlic won't be enough.

I can confirm that Fossil Shell Flour and Peppermint Oil will keep the fleas away.

Old 04-01-2011, 06:25 PM

Thank you everyone for the suggestions. We don't have a tick or flea problem at the moment, probably because of the last yard spray and the dogs have the topical flea stuff. I was just looking for a suggestions for preventative yard treatment that was green that could kill the fleas and ticks. I wish I could go the route of chickens, but I live in the city, so not allowed. Will look into Diatomaceous Earth, my in laws have used it in their house, will see if they have something for the yard. If anyone else has any more suggestions please let me know.

Old 04-01-2011, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post
It's possible that your pest control company did not use more chemicals than the usual amount. By law, chemical containers must be rinsed prior to disposal, and the rinsate is then poured into the spray tank. These liquid concentrates often have an odor, which is noticeable, especially if it's new to you.

Another possibility is that the company has changed its chemical that is used to treat the yard. There are new products coming out all the time, with incentives to try them. Many companies change their chemicals, depending upon the season. In the wet weather theyll use powders and in the summer they'll switch to emulsifiable concentrates or flowables.

Check the paperwork that was left at your home at the time of service, and compare the chemical type and quantity to previous services. You can also contact the company to inquire about the unusual odor. Most pest control techs are familiar with their clients, especially when it comes to children, seniors, pets, and family members with lupus, asthma, and various other allergies. If not, they should be made aware of any special circumstances that exist in or around your home.

By all means, continue your search for a green alternative to chemical treatments of your property, and please post your results.
You might be right, they were bought out by one of the larger pest control companies a few months before our last spray. So maybe they switched their chemicals.

Old 04-01-2011, 11:28 PM

29,990 posts, read 20,952,792 times
I've been told that nematodes will help keep the fleas away but you have to keep your lawn watered religously to keep them alive. http://www.fleabuster.com/Products/B...nematodes.html

If you live out in the country guinea fowl are suppossed to be tick eating machines but they are noisy like a watchdog (actually better). Personally, ticks are so bad in my area that I have my dog vacinnated for Lyme's disease and I use front line on him (and still pick off the ticks). Sometime green is not the most effective way to deal with disease spreading insects. YMMV

FWIW, I do put up blue bird houses, wren houses and bat houses to help decrease the insect populations too.

Old 04-05-2011, 06:40 AM

4,748 posts, read 9,224,793 times
couldnt you just not spray at all... maybe you live in a very woodsy area??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living