Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 09:41 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,245,036 times

Advertisements

Sorry, Brady, I made a mistake with the name. I just fixed it in my post so no one else would get the wrong idea that you started the thread. I'm tired, I'm sorry. But folks, I meant to direct my message towards the original poster and moderators, of course. Sorry again, Brady, hope my correx will do. BRADY DIDN'T DO IT, PEOPLE. The anti-lightbulb awareness foundation did it. I'm over myself now, but glad I posted just the same. But this IS what happens when you get on chemo, you go a little crazy. GG

PLWhit,
Wow, that's some cleanup deal, thanks... more scary stuff, altho it doesn't mention the toxins in the OP's original link, rather talks about the mercury in them that needs careful handling. I too will never have these bulbs in my home again. Dang. Okay, I think I can leave now and not ever come back. Thanks, tho, to all who contributed to this thread. I was pretty upset before, it's amazing what winds up on our shopping shelves, and in our LIVES. Oh, well, that's the price of technology and lotsa population, hard to keep everything from slipping thru the cracks. But what MY real enemy is in today's "modern" world is factory farming, but that's another thread. GG

Last edited by gigimac; 04-25-2011 at 09:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 11:30 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,989,240 times
The EPA says even if you break a CFL, you get exposed to less mercury due to the mercury in coal that gets airborne during combustion when lighting an incandescent bulb.

Old 04-25-2011, 12:18 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
gigimac, While I will not apologize for starting this thread you have my sympathy that you were so easily upset by the thread and also about your breast cancer. This thread was meant to be informative. In my opinion, if the information helps one person I think it is worth getting out there. Obviously, you don't agree.

If you are easily upset by information I suggest you don't click on the thread next time you see a thread title that bothers you.

DCforever, you may choose to believe every "acceptable level" statement that comes our of our federal agencies. Others may not. History has shown there is often a conflict of interest in our federal regulatory agencies leaning toward the corporation standing to make a profit by having their product approved, even legislated into use, rather than the safety or welfare of the US consumer.

Old 04-25-2011, 12:32 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,342,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
there is no ban on incadescent bulbs. the law requires bulbs created starting in 2012 to be more efficient. and there are incadescent bulbs that meet those standards. the "they banned incadescent bulbs" is false information. but feel free to find for me any federal law that bans them.
Incandescent bulbs have been banned in the EU and EEC countries (so most of Europe, for short)

So I wouldn't be surprised if it became banned here to in a few years.

They've been primarily replaced by the slightly more efficient halogen bulbs (now modified to fit in normal sockets) and CFL's as well as LED lamps. Once LED technology improves a little more, I believe they will slowly phase out halogens and CFL's too.

Old 04-25-2011, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
DCforever, you may choose to believe every "acceptable level" statement that comes our of our federal agencies. Others may not. History has shown there is often a conflict of interest in our federal regulatory agencies leaning toward the corporation standing to make a profit by having their product approved, even legislated into use, rather than the safety or welfare of the US consumer.
I agree, the coal industry has been particularly successful at convincing people that coal doesn't cause tremendous health problems.

Old 04-25-2011, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
I agree, the coal industry has been particularly successful at convincing people that coal doesn't cause tremendous health problems.
That has what to do with CFL's? Or were you just deflecting the thread?

Old 04-26-2011, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
That has what to do with CFL's? Or were you just deflecting the thread?
Not at all. I thought you were referring to the mercury in CFL. If you power an incandescent bulb with 50% coal-fired generation, you get much more mercury released to the atmosphere from burning the coal than if you take the CFL and just break it. Maybe I misunderstood your point, but I believe the coal industry has been very successful at hiding this fact.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
Not at all. I thought you were referring to the mercury in CFL. If you power an incandescent bulb with 50% coal-fired generation, you get much more mercury released to the atmosphere from burning the coal than if you take the CFL and just break it. Maybe I misunderstood your point, but I believe the coal industry has been very successful at hiding this fact.
This thread is about CFL's. Feel free to start a seperate thread on coal if you wish.

Old 04-26-2011, 11:27 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,245,036 times
Well, they've taken our TVs (gotta have a box), and now our lightbulbs. If incandescent and CFL's are no good, and with halogen and LEDs on this thread -- I'm getting a little mixed up here -- BUT WHAT LIGHTBULBS can we use?

MOgal, I lost it, is all. Thank you for acknowledging me. But all info has potential of advantage, only if (a) truth is reliable, not one study or one person or one book... this is known as corroboration, which police and newspaper people need more than one source to say it's so, among other things; and if (b) a negative story can be countered by a positive story, kind of like balanced journalism. You don't say all cat canned food will kill your pet; you say Chinese product in cat food have killed X pets, which kinds to avoid, and which ones are okay, a story that was mishandled right down the line by jumping the gun. Some pets may have been saved by that, so how can I argue this point? Because some cats DID DIE by eating cat food, represented by large numbers reported. And I usually do ignore inflammatory type posts, but I had just dealt with one of those bulbs and saw the post, so I stupidly read it, but never dreaming a green living lightbulb post would kill me! In the end, I apologize again for misplacing my anger. I am angry at technology developing faster than humans can handle it, I am angry I ever read it, I am angry at all the swirling swamp stories out there, and I cannot explain why I am back here!

But, pray tell, WHICH lightbulbs are safe? GG

Old 04-26-2011, 11:54 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,194,123 times
What's wrong with the old incandescent light bulbs gigimac?

They are still sold in stores and are safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living