U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 01:18 PM

665 posts, read 1,523,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
When you say "organic" does that mean to you made from living carbon/hydrogen organisms without the use of non organic chemicals and pesticides, etc?

I don't think there is anything much less reactive with your body and rubbing a little aluminum zirconium on your pits. I can't imagine how it could be better to use something that would be readily absorbed into the bloodstream like most "organic" compounds would.
Sooo... you don't think that aluminum can be absorbed into the bloodstream from your armpits? Do you think aluminum is OK to breaking the blood/brain barrier?

Moderator cut: off topic
It's VERY obvious that the poster is looking for a healthy alternative to the common deoderant ingredients.

At this moment there are TWO definitions of the word "organic".... Moderator cut: argumentative

Last edited by MissingAll4Seasons; 05-09-2011 at 11:52 AM.. Reason: veering off topic and into personal attack territory
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2011, 03:09 PM

26,947 posts, read 5,795,572 times
Tom's of Maine deo I have seen but are usually a bit pricey...I have found some of their products at Big Lots......at least the toothpaste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyB View Post
Organic actually meant derived from carbon which really isn't necessary for deodorant (of course it's come to mean more from a food perspective.
I assume you mean natural or not derived from petroleum (an organic compound actually).

Crystal is - its just dissolved alum. There are Toms of Maine deodorants too.

All Natural Deodorant | Deodorant Crystal | Hypoallergenic Deodorant | Natural Deodorant | Alum Deodorant | Naturally Fresh Deodorant

Crystal Body Deodorant

Old 05-10-2011, 07:17 AM

15,574 posts, read 24,941,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
I know this sounds ridiculous, but if you quit antiperspirants/deodorants cold turkey you will only experience "spontaneous body odor" for a month or so. You're going to smell after a workout no matter what, but your body will get to the point that you are not emitting a noticeable odor as you go about your daily grind so long as you bathe daily.

I am going to agree with this. After always using deoderant and still sweating, so I ran out and didn't use it for a few days, I then noticed that I wasn't sweating under my pits....OK, so then I got the deoderant again, and as soon as I spray, a half hour later I am sweating....so I was experimenting with this whole deoderant thing...so i stopped using it, and unless I am at the gym or doing physical work i am not sweating under my pits.

Of course by the end of the day there is little odor, as a man, obviously I have natural man scents, but as of now, no I just don't wear it anymore, and my pits dont seem to be dripping anymore either. If you shower dialy there will not be an "stinky" problem.

I remember in another post another poster swore that the deoderant made him sweat more, I have to agree with that also.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:17 PM

553 posts, read 898,690 times
Tom of main sells and Trado JOes for about 3 dollars a stick.
But they only carry "original", which is fragrance free.

I heard that their "calendula" smells nice.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:22 PM

553 posts, read 898,690 times
Nothing absorbs into the bloodstream. there is no scientific evidence of any significant effect of the deodorant or soap, or lotion ingredients in your bloodstreem. it is all commercials from "organic" brands.
All this "organic" stuff is actually bad for the planet. They import all those oils from Africa, they cut the forest to grow it. The forest. they burn, burn burn fuel to bring it to other continents. It is all scam.
I am not against "organic brands", I am agains those who are fake organics (like Origins), those who are overpriced organics, and especially those who just abuse peoples paranoia by telling tales about "how not organic stuff is baaad for you".
But I love simple organic stuff, who in addition to being organic are also sustainable businesses, use recycled materials for bottles, use sustainably grown plants and overall promote sustainable living, not promote "paranoia". Line Dr Bronner or Avalon Organics or Aubrey. Love them.

Last edited by Dressy; 05-17-2011 at 08:30 PM.. Reason: to add

Old 05-18-2011, 04:29 PM

7 posts, read 47,737 times
Tom's of Maine makes an all natural deoderant that works ok. I assume you're looking to get away from products with aluminum in them? It's a great idea, however if you are used to using an anti-perspirant instead of a deoderant, you may be in for a surprise for the first few weeks. You will most likely find you have more body odor than the deoderant can "handle", trust assured this will go away eventually, but in the mean time just make sure you drink lots of water and eat plenty of fresh fruits and veggies.

Old 05-19-2011, 05:46 AM

665 posts, read 1,523,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dressy View Post
Nothing absorbs into the bloodstream. there is no scientific evidence of any significant effect of the deodorant or soap, or lotion ingredients in your bloodstreem. it is all commercials from "organic" brands.

haha ......... well you can keep slathering that acetone, petroleum, sodium benzoate or ethylene glycol on.

Do you really think that your skin is made of PVC ?

Your skin is porous, like a sponge,

EVERYTHING that touches your skin enters the bloodstream and has some kind of effect on metabolism and DNA.

Old 05-24-2011, 12:59 AM

2,806 posts, read 6,508,918 times
I love the crystal stick, and it lasts a really long time.
When it's super hot, I dab a tiny bit of spearmint or peppermint EO under my arms.

Old 05-25-2011, 10:12 AM

11,544 posts, read 25,944,668 times
Trader Joe's unscented deodorant with cotton for sensitive skin; parabum and aluminum free. Propilene glycol, water and ? sodium are the first three ingredients. I have extremely sensitive skin and low persperation; it works very well for me and doesn't cause itch, rash or any discomfort. I've been using it since I was diagnosed with a skin disease in '05.

As a side note I also use TJs laundry soap and hand dish soaps because they are ecology friendly, it does not harm pets or the septic system. Potassium Chloride salt for the water conditioner does not harm the septic system either. .

Old 05-27-2011, 09:39 AM

12,545 posts, read 18,403,820 times
my wife uses the body shop's deadorant. it's the best inexpensive one she's found. sephora sells one that's $18/stick that she liked, but the price is insane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living