Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2011, 05:34 PM

22 posts, read 28,508 times

Advertisements

Howdy all,

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I might go about finding out rather a State has Veganic Farmers that I could buy food from season after season and would allow me to Can my food for the other seasons? Just as one might with an Organic Farmer. The 'Stock Free Organic' term and organization was developed in 96 in the UK, in short it takes Organic to the next level and makes sure that no animal enslavement/parts in anyway go into the fields of the Organic Farms.

I'm moving in the next few months and I am needing 2 things to be solid before I consider moving to a location, I want to find a nice peaceful area away from the Seas of Concrete, otherwise known as Civilization haha, yet not to far from nice peaceful farmers like that to learn from and buy some food from.

I'm in Georgia at the moment, however I'm game to travel all the way to good old Alaska if need be Which is indeed a dream of mine, however I am also considering any state in between like perhaps NC, for which I do not know much about from this criteria, at the moment.

I also Posted this question in the Vegan Food Forum area of this web site as well.

Thanks for any information,

~Jason
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 10:21 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,766,834 times
Not to be an insufferable smartypants, but...

Let me google that for you

The Veganic Agriculture Network would probably be a good place to start. It looks like they recognize a handfull of operations in Florida, New York, Illinois, Arizona, New Jersey and New Mexico.

http://www.goveganic.net/spip.php?rubrique22

You may try sending them an email on their website as they will likely be considerably more helpful than just about anyone on this forum.

Last edited by jimboburnsy; 05-13-2011 at 10:31 AM..

Old 05-13-2011, 08:47 PM

22 posts, read 28,508 times
They are where I found the term Stock Free added to Organic, along with those places you listed, however my question was how do I find out rather a random place has Veganic Farmers, I have e-mailed them the question as well, with no response. You know, you could be productive if you are going to respond.

~Jason

Old 05-14-2011, 09:42 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,766,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthPhoenix View Post
They are where I found the term Stock Free added to Organic, along with those places you listed, however my question was how do I find out rather a random place has Veganic Farmers, I have e-mailed them the question as well, with no response. You know, you could be productive if you are going to respond.

~Jason
Well, unfortunately the continental United States is an enormous land with many culturally, politically and ideologically distinct regions as well as distinct climates and agricultural practices. There are too many random places to ask about all of them.

Organic agriculture is catching on to a large extent, but I have to presume that veganic agriculture is pretty far to a fringe. There isn't a well organized "finder" that I'm aware of.

Perhaps the expectation of productivity would be more realistic with some specific states / regions. There may be some people I could put you in touch with to point you in the right direction within a limited area, but beyond that I would try contacting state agricultural commissions and the entities that perform organic certifications. They will know or will be able to put you in touch with people who do.

Old 05-15-2011, 08:25 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,541,357 times
Hey Jason,

Looks interesting. We are setting up organic operations, and may look into this as an upgrade.

Maybe you can explain something to me?

From the link that Jimbo posted . . . .

Veganic fertility: Growing plants from plants - [Veganic Agriculture Network]

Quote:
Did you know... animals products are not needed for growing plants. Many people believe that animals are a “source” of nutrients, like nitrogen, potassium, and phosphorus. Yes, animal products contain nutrients, though these elements all come from the plants that the animals ate first! Instead of using blood, bone and manure, we can simply use plants directly to grow other plants.
AND

Quote:
Though not plant-based, veganic gardeners may also wish to use their humanure or urine to ensure that the nutrients they consume are given back to the soil. While humanure is only really a possibility in the countryside, urine can be used in the city when mixed with ten parts of water.
I am understanding correctly that under the Veganic model Critter Poop is not kosher, but Human Poop is?

Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living