U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 11:59 AM

5,090 posts, read 9,832,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Whats lucky about it and what makes you think oil is running out?..
Lucky because when it is gone, that will be one less thing to get in fights and bomb and kill folks -- including children -- over.

Like I tell our kids -- if they are going to fight over their toys, that must be a bad toy so we need to put it away.

As far as running out . . . are you serious? Have you seen or read any well production outputs? Not dogging you or being snarky on that. Can post some large sets of production data, if you would like.

Same game everywhere in the world. More and more wells, less and less production per well. Drill, Baby, Drill is a dead end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
You could easily double you milegage by only driving downhill. Getting back to the start is what costs energy.
Genius!

Replace cars with . . . . . . . .

Roller-coasters!

here comes a big hill ----- Ahhhhh!!!!!

Old 06-14-2011, 12:07 PM

34,253 posts, read 41,293,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
As far as running out . . . are you serious? Have you seen or read any well production outputs? Not dogging you or being snarky on that. Can post some large sets of production data, if you would like.

Same game everywhere in the world. More and more wells, less and less production per well. Drill, Baby, Drill is a dead end.
You maybe right but the Abiotic oil theory makes more sense to me than the current theory that all the oil we are using world wide (90 million barrels a day) comes from decaying plants and dinosaurs.
And knowing the extent of some peoples/companies thirst for all the money the idea that we could be being deceived on a large scale is not beyond the realms of possibility..

http://www.viewzone.com/abioticoilx.html

YouTube - ‪origin_of_oil.wmv‬‏

Last edited by jambo101; 06-14-2011 at 12:26 PM..

Old 06-15-2011, 12:35 PM

11,230 posts, read 7,483,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
In other words; you were just full of hot air.
To what hot air are you referring?

It’s not from my direction that a gaseous cloud is emanating.

Old 06-15-2011, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
You maybe right but the Abiotic oil theory makes more sense to me than the current theory that all the oil we are using world wide (90 million barrels a day) comes from decaying plants and dinosaurs.
And knowing the extent of some peoples/companies thirst for all the money the idea that we could be being deceived on a large scale is not beyond the realms of possibility..

Scientists Prove Abiotic Oil Is Real!

YouTube - ‪origin_of_oil.wmv‬‏
Without regard to the source -- the real numbers (and problem) rest on the production side of things.

Whether our Hydrocarbon supplies come from former Carbohydrates, or whether Oil is something just appears in the ground like water, lava, minerals -- or even if it comes from Magic Oil Fairies -- whatever "makes" Oil is not making it at anywhere near the rate we are producing it from the ground and burning it.

Here are the real hard measured recorded and published consistently numbers from Texas for the last 75 years. This is not from someone selling some book, futures, stock tips, 200 mpg carburetor, or any of the rest of the ding-a-ling stuff that goes with this.

Oil Production and Well Counts (1935-2009)

If you actually bother to open the link, you can see the real hard numbers in this real hard world. We now have 3 to 4 times as many wells as when this started back in 1935 -- and we are now back down to about 1930's level production. The peak was back around 1970 with over 3 times what production is now. As goes Texas, so has went the US, so has went Cantrell (Mexico), the North Sea, on and on and so goes the world.

Old 06-15-2011, 04:06 PM

8,955 posts, read 17,655,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
If you had come up with an idea that could double the efficiency of the internal combustion engine, would you tell?

With all the money tied up in the fuel industry, and the losses that this could easily cause so many companies and shareholders, would you dare to tell?
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Beclazone, the question itself is impossible. Internal combustion engines are ALL limited by the Carnot cycle. An auto engine is already fairly close to the limits, and there simply is no room left for an improvement that would double mileage.
"Doubling" your mpg can be as easy as walking more, riding a bike, public transportation but as harry pointed out man has pushed the IC engine to the limits now so there isn't any more mpg to get from fossil fuels.

Old 06-15-2011, 07:19 PM

14,176 posts, read 44,753,826 times
The X-prize cars show what can be done to get about 100MPG with existing technology - a small, light, aerodynamic body with a small, efficient, but powerful engine.

Another overall point would be hybrid technology and/or regenerative braking.

A third point is that the cooling system on current IC engines is there due to limitations on materials, in principle some sort of ceramic engine could be run with no cooling system at all, maintaining it as hot as possible given materials limitations. Such materials are not available yet. This is, I think, the general direction Ford was going with the engine Sunsprit posted about. (although not as far down this road as it's theoretically possible to go)

Harry Chickpea is of course right that the Carnot efficiency is the maximum theoretical efficiency of a heat engine given a high and low temperature - but this is as much about the necessity to reject process heat (the heat remaining in exhaust gases) to atmosphere, as it is about getting a high input temperature.

Most cars in existance can't double their stock MPG - I mean I guess you could swap a small Diesel into a 1960's muscle car, change the gearing, and get more than double the original stock MPG - but this proves little beyond that these cars were built for power, not efficiency.

It's also possible to modify a clone of something like an LS-6 (originals are worth to much to mess with) with say a Richmond Gear 6-speed, and take some different performance approaches with the engine (fuel injection for one thing, maybe a hydraulic roller cam, maybe go with a turbo engine instead of NA) to come up with a car that has 1960's muscle car performance with much better cruise economy - or go buy a current production Corvette for example, probably cheaper than you can build similar performance...

Old 06-15-2011, 07:31 PM

15,924 posts, read 17,382,767 times
Quote:

It’s not from my direction that a gaseous cloud is emanating.
I'd like to tell you where the gaseous cloud is coming from but I can't.

I wish I could tell you what the hot air is but I'd give everything away.

Last edited by plwhit; 06-15-2011 at 07:43 PM..

Old 06-15-2011, 09:21 PM

398 posts, read 1,612,269 times
Quote:
You seem to think that your vague, nebulous posts allude to an idea which stands outside our implicitly feeble imaginations; in reality, they simply erode the speck of credibility with which you started this thread.

Old 06-16-2011, 02:37 AM

11,230 posts, read 7,483,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHenrySDM View Post
You seem to think that your vague, nebulous posts allude to an idea which stands outside our implicitly feeble imaginations; in reality, they simply erode the speck of credibility with which you started this thread.
Actually, I just proved a point, and that is that the many on here are just out to argue, or cast derision, both of which are of little use to me. If that goes for society as a whole, then what is the point in an individual bothering to help?

If you think that you can goad me into giving divulging information, you are much mistaken. The patent process is a joke, and from what I see, only able to protect intellectual property of wealth corporations, so I definitely wouldn’t give anyone on here the chance to steal.

May I enquire as to what is the reason for your post, it’s definitely of no value in any discussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or