Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 02:53 AM

13,624 posts, read 10,027,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
Lucky because when it is gone, that will be one less thing to get in fights and bomb and kill folks -- including children -- over.

Like I tell our kids -- if they are going to fight over their toys, that must be a bad toy so we need to put it away.

As far as running out . . . are you serious? Have you seen or read any well production outputs? Not dogging you or being snarky on that. Can post some large sets of production data, if you would like.

Same game everywhere in the world. More and more wells, less and less production per well. Drill, Baby, Drill is a dead end.
And lucky, because when the resources are used up, we will hopefully be able to breathe more easily.

I’m glad someone understood that.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
"Doubling" your mpg can be as easy as walking more, riding a bike, public transportation but as harry pointed out man has pushed the IC engine to the limits now so there isn't any more mpg to get from fossil fuels.

Only in it’s present form, I believe.

I don’t value public transport that much, it just seems like passing the responsibility of pollution onto someone else.

Last edited by BECLAZONE; 06-16-2011 at 03:20 AM..

Old 06-16-2011, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
The X-prize cars show what can be done to get about 100MPG with existing technology - a small, light, aerodynamic body with a small, efficient, but powerful engine.

Another overall point would be hybrid technology and/or regenerative braking.

A third point is that the cooling system on current IC engines is there due to limitations on materials, in principle some sort of ceramic engine could be run with no cooling system at all, maintaining it as hot as possible given materials limitations. Such materials are not available yet. This is, I think, the general direction Ford was going with the engine Sunsprit posted about. (although not as far down this road as it's theoretically possible to go)

Harry Chickpea is of course right that the Carnot efficiency is the maximum theoretical efficiency of a heat engine given a high and low temperature - but this is as much about the necessity to reject process heat (the heat remaining in exhaust gases) to atmosphere, as it is about getting a high input temperature.

Most cars in existance can't double their stock MPG - I mean I guess you could swap a small Diesel into a 1960's muscle car, change the gearing, and get more than double the original stock MPG - but this proves little beyond that these cars were built for power, not efficiency.

It's also possible to modify a clone of something like an LS-6 (originals are worth to much to mess with) with say a Richmond Gear 6-speed, and take some different performance approaches with the engine (fuel injection for one thing, maybe a hydraulic roller cam, maybe go with a turbo engine instead of NA) to come up with a car that has 1960's muscle car performance with much better cruise economy - or go buy a current production Corvette for example, probably cheaper than you can build similar performance...
You just gave me another idea.

Thank you.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:22 AM

399 posts, read 1,803,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
May I enquire as to what is the reason for your post?
Of course you may. It's frustrating to have read a thread of this many pages, a thread which has an interesting title, and could be presumed to be about an interesting topic, which reveals absolutely no information whatsoever. My post is grounded in this frustration.

Your thread is nothing more than spam.

Old 06-16-2011, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHenrySDM View Post
Of course you may. It's frustrating to have read a thread of this many pages, a thread which has an interesting title, and could be presumed to be about an interesting topic, which reveals absolutely no information whatsoever. My post is grounded in this frustration.

Your thread is nothing more than spam.
I think jambo101 gave a very good reason for not publicising in post #32.

I didn’t expect anyone to think that I would actually give the answer.

If I were to give the answer, then it would be advertising, and hence, spam.

Sorry for the frustration.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:37 PM

17,214 posts, read 57,064,697 times
Another approach is the "6-stroke" engine, a normal 4-stroke cycle with a steam cooling cycle added to each intake-compression-power-exhaust cycle - after exhaust you have an air-only intake cycle, compression, water injection, steam power/cooling cycle. This has been done by Bruce Crower IIRC - one of the Godfathers of Hotrodding, I think it's Bruce - we had a thread about it on here awhile back.

Old 06-17-2011, 12:53 PM

3,718 posts, read 5,695,467 times
Quote:
To what hot air are you referring?

It’s not from my direction that a gaseous cloud is emanating.
You know exactly what I am talking about. Don't even try that.

Old 06-17-2011, 02:05 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times
Quote:
If you had come up with an idea that could double the efficiency of the internal combustion engine, would you tell?

With all the money tied up in the fuel industry, and the losses that this could easily cause so many companies and shareholders, would you dare to tell?
I doubled my fuel economy when I park the car and ride the motorcycle. Not so hard to do.

Old 06-17-2011, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Another approach is the "6-stroke" engine, a normal 4-stroke cycle with a steam cooling cycle added to each intake-compression-power-exhaust cycle - after exhaust you have an air-only intake cycle, compression, water injection, steam power/cooling cycle. This has been done by Bruce Crower IIRC - one of the Godfathers of Hotrodding, I think it's Bruce - we had a thread about it on here awhile back.

I just looked them up on Wikipedia. Interesting, not many diagrams. I really don’t like the idea of putting water into any combustion chamber, far too many contaminants. Steam could be used in other ways though. I do like the M4+2 engines, gave me an idea for repositioning of the valves.

Old 06-17-2011, 03:30 PM

17,214 posts, read 57,064,697 times
When you burn a hydrocarbon, you evolve carbon dioxide (and some carbon monoxide) from the carbon, and "dihydrogen oxide" - AKA water - from the hydrogen.

The 6-stroke engine has some provision to turn the steam cycle off, both for initial warmup and for shutdown.

You are correct that the water needs to be pure, that's true for any steam power equipment. Water good enough to put in a nuclear plant costs more than gasoline, BTW, because of the energy used and equipment used to process it - you don't need to go that far, but in a hard water area you would probably be looking at purification (which could be an onboard RO or ion exchange unit) for the water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living