Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 08:39 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,925,522 times

Advertisements

There's certainly no physical reason that 2 liter soda can't be bottled in glass. I get my milk in glass 1/2 gallon (almost 2 liters) and gallon jars all the time. With a little modification to the screw cap and neck threads to keep the fizz in better, we could use the exact same bottle for any carbonated beverages. I used to get my orange juice in glass quarts and half-gallons as well, but they eventually went with plastic so they could mold in a handle easier.

http://www.stanpacnet.com/buyonline/milk-bottles.html (broken link)

Last edited by MissingAll4Seasons; 05-27-2011 at 08:43 PM.. Reason: added link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2011, 09:42 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,669,400 times
Quote:
There's certainly no physical reason that 2 liter soda can't be bottled in glass.
Lets see. Two liters of soda weighs about 4 pounds without a bottle. Using the old weight of the 500ml glass bottles which were thick enough to handle the pressure of the corbonation gas, its weight was listed at 460grams. Convert it to 2 liters and it comes out to a little over 4 pounds of glass. So a 2 liter bottle of soda would weigh a little over 8 pounds. A little heavy to try to carry home in any quantity.

Old 05-27-2011, 10:52 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,862,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
Lets see. Two liters of soda weighs about 4 pounds without a bottle. Using the old weight of the 500ml glass bottles which were thick enough to handle the pressure of the corbonation gas, its weight was listed at 460grams. Convert it to 2 liters and it comes out to a little over 4 pounds of glass. So a 2 liter bottle of soda would weigh a little over 8 pounds. A little heavy to try to carry home in any quantity.
What was wrong with the 6 packs of 16 oz. soda bottles you used to return at the grocery store? We never had to worry about soda going flat when bottled in that size of package either!

Old 05-28-2011, 12:09 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,669,400 times
Quote:
What was wrong with the 6 packs of 16 oz.
Nothing. The glass was thinner in relation to the presure to hold it in. The problem with higher volume glass bottles is that they require thicker glass to hold the liquid and the pressure.

We the consumer didn't really gain anything from the switch to plastic from glass. The vendor gained more profit and the retailer gained better usage of space in their shelves since nearly all carbonated drinks are now in the same sized containers in cans, 1,1.5,2 & 3 liter bottles. The 16/12oz plastic bottles seem to mostly not follow this standardization and mimic their old glass versions. On the other hand if you go outside of the US to most third world countries everything is in glass and not plastic.

Old 05-28-2011, 07:58 PM

72,879 posts, read 62,383,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
Nothing. The glass was thinner in relation to the presure to hold it in. The problem with higher volume glass bottles is that they require thicker glass to hold the liquid and the pressure.

We the consumer didn't really gain anything from the switch to plastic from glass. The vendor gained more profit and the retailer gained better usage of space in their shelves since nearly all carbonated drinks are now in the same sized containers in cans, 1,1.5,2 & 3 liter bottles. The 16/12oz plastic bottles seem to mostly not follow this standardization and mimic their old glass versions. On the other hand if you go outside of the US to most third world countries everything is in glass and not plastic.
If you buy Sidral Mundet or Jarritos, there is a higher probability of getting a drink in a glass bottle. All of it made in Mexico and distributed my Tipp Distributors in El Paso,Texas. However, Coca-Cola is rarely made in a glass bottle

Old 05-29-2011, 10:04 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,522,776 times
Glass and plastic both have very valid uses, and Aluminum has some advantages, as well, with a VERY high recycle rate due to the material cost and ease of recovery.

Rather than creating mounds of waste, we may have a system level problem rather a materials choice problem. Plastic recycles using less energy than glass, as well as being lighter to transport.

Some of the various US states began "recycling" based on deposits of 5 or 10 cents or so on plastic bottles -- probably a couple of decades ago. Anyone have any experience on how those programs are going?

If there were a 25 cent deposit, I would think the plastic bottles would practically recycle themselves.

Old 05-29-2011, 05:05 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,047,419 times
In the summer, I brew a pot of iced tea (I use a Mr Tea maker) for the husband to take to work. Way cheaper,better tasting, and gentler on the earth than the individual serving bottles.[/quote]

I mix my own green tea at home, from a powdered mix, and tap water. It seems irresponsible to buy heavy bottles of tea that must be trucked across the country, using fossil fuel.

Old 05-29-2011, 05:29 PM

45,122 posts, read 60,239,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
Glass and plastic both have very valid uses, and Aluminum has some advantages, as well, with a VERY high recycle rate due to the material cost and ease of recovery.

Rather than creating mounds of waste, we may have a system level problem rather a materials choice problem. Plastic recycles using less energy than glass, as well as being lighter to transport.

Some of the various US states began "recycling" based on deposits of 5 or 10 cents or so on plastic bottles -- probably a couple of decades ago. Anyone have any experience on how those programs are going?

If there were a 25 cent deposit, I would think the plastic bottles would practically recycle themselves.

MD set up voluntary/mandatory (meaning that the Counties had to set up re-cycling but didn't have to make it mandatory) about 20 years ago. With the exception of a couple municipalities no jurisdictions have hit the relatively modest goals.

Businesses were hesitant to do it because of the added costs. But now, with landfill fees rising, some high recyclable ones like bars and restaurants are starting to recycle glass and cans.

Some people don't because of it being a pain, some are just stupid (like the ones that tell me that recycling's a scam because they know the trucks go to the landfill. Which is true, but the recyclables get transferred and not buried, but these folks refuse to believe it). Many people don't realize how much weight glass, cans, newsprint and even plastic add to to their regular household trash. And weight is how landfill charges are computed.

Where my mother lived in PA recycling was an added charge to the base trash fee so most people didn't bother.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:36 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,369,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
What was wrong with the 6 packs of 16 oz. soda bottles you used to return at the grocery store? We never had to worry about soda going flat when bottled in that size of package either!
i just bought a case of 24 coke glass bottles at costco. it's the one made in mexico, with real sugar. love it. when i have traveled in europe, i've seen the larger glass bottles. they definitely weren't 8 lbs, but yeah, they were heavier. i liked them better too.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:39 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,369,611 times
this was a pretty good story. i want to read the book:

The Fresh Air Interview: Peter Gleick - 'On America's Great Thirst For Bottled Water' : NPR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living