Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 08:17 AM

2,673 posts, read 3,248,069 times

Advertisements

Does anyone here live in a city that is using rain gardens, or bioretention cells for stormwater management?

I'm working on a paper for an environmental grad. class and did it on the effectiveness of rain gardens. I wanted to know if they really are reducing:

- peak flows
- nutrients
- sediment
- other pollutants

There really isn't a lot of peer reviewed research out there specifically on how effective rain gardens reduce peak flows and non-point source pollutants, but there are a few. There is plenty of hydrological research, but I wanted to see a quantification in the reduction of pollutant load, especially nutrients. The research I've reveiwed showed results with significant reductions in pollutant loads. Phosphorus wasn't a signficantly reduced, but the rain gardens are still effective.

I live in Tulsa, OK and the city is not using bioretention cells or rain gardens in their stormwater management program. Some people have been putting them in at their residences, but on a city wide scale it isn't happening in Tulsa.

Portland, OR, on the other hand, has gone gangbuster with them. The PNW isn't the only game in town, though. WI, KY and other places have used this method. It seems like it would be a great way to meet landscaping codes for new businesses and to reduce non-point runoff.

Here are a couple of pictures:

This is one that's in Victoria, BC

This one is in Portland, OR

If this interests you, I love the Portland, OR website on their sustainable stormwater management. There are many other sites, but the Portland site is a great resource.

Sustainable Stormwater Management

So. What's your city doing with stormwater management? What do you think of the rain gardens?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2011, 10:05 AM

469 posts, read 1,175,222 times
When I lived in tuscaloosa, al I interned with the city planning department, recently renamed development services. They have just initiated a new landscape ordinance that applies to all new building permits. It requires a bioswale to reduce non-point source pollution, but it only applies to commercial properties. I think rain gardens are a very simple way to reduce water pollution. They are just outside of the main stream though, so developers aren't very likely to voluntarily install them in the vast majority of us markets

Old 04-20-2011, 10:16 AM

23,596 posts, read 70,402,242 times
South Florida has tons of retention areas for heavy rainfall. Most are grassed, and designed to dry out fairly fast, because mosquitoes would otherwise be a problem. The grass carp in the canals keep much of the results of fertilizer pollution in check.

Old 04-20-2011, 10:28 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
This might interest the OP: http://rainkc.com/

I'm not certain how successful the program has been as they have not been updating their website.

http://www.waterbucket.ca/rm/?sid=11...23&type=single

From Cincinnati:
http://www.hcswcd.org/newsltr/MSDManualDraft.pdf

Last edited by lifelongMOgal; 04-20-2011 at 10:37 AM..

Old 04-20-2011, 10:37 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
South Florida has tons of retention areas for heavy rainfall. Most are grassed, and designed to dry out fairly fast, because mosquitoes would otherwise be a problem. The grass carp in the canals keep much of the results of fertilizer pollution in check.
And the gators keep the grass carp and joggers in check.

Old 04-20-2011, 12:00 PM

45,374 posts, read 60,561,367 times
We just officially dedicated our new Town Hall. The back half of the roof is a planted "green roof". We had to do that to meet MD's new stormwater regulations. I'll let you know in a few months how it's working. I was up on it yesterday and it's really a cool set-up.

Green roof - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-20-2011, 12:21 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,730,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecovlke View Post
Does anyone here live in a city that is using rain gardens, or bioretention cells for stormwater management?
Yes to all those questions. We manage a ton of BMP's and report their performance to the state. We also have an agreement with two major universities where we test the effectiveness of various BMP's.

I will look for some data and if I can find some I will forward it to you.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
One of the peer reviewed papers I read was Bettie Rush's research on a unique and innovative parking lot design at the FL aquarium. Her research focused on how different parking lot surfaces affected the results of reducing pollutant load and peak load. She looked at asphalt, concrete, and a porous surface all with grassy swales for bioretention, and then an asphalt surface with no grassy swales.

All performed well at reducing peak flow, and at reducing nutrient load and metals, but the porus surface had the best results. Concrete reduced NP pollutants better than asphalt.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Yes to all those questions. We manage a ton of BMP's and report their performance to the state. We also have an agreement with two major universities where we test the effectiveness of various BMP's.

I will look for some data and if I can find some I will forward it to you.
Yes, please do. I've done stream monitoring on my job for a long time, but I've taken a huge interest in the performance of the rain gardens/bioretention BMPs for stormwater. I just started a M.S. in Env. Science and I seem to always gravitate back to water. I wasn't certain which area I would make my focus, but once I did this little research I realized water really what gets me the most passionate.

How are you guys measuring for performance?

Old 04-20-2011, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
We just officially dedicated our new Town Hall. The back half of the roof is a planted "green roof". We had to do that to meet MD's new stormwater regulations. I'll let you know in a few months how it's working. I was up on it yesterday and it's really a cool set-up.

Green roof - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Very cool. I got to see a few of the green roofs in Chicago about five years ago. If you take any pictures of you guys' project you should post them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living