U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 07:25 AM

3,252 posts, read 6,301,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post

Build Nukes to make H2? That would be some wacky math.

We have surplus electricity most of the time, already. So much surplus wind at times it cannot even be put on the grid. That may be a more practical marriage to just burn off existing surplus electricity into making H2.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

I know this shouldn't be in the 'green-living' forum, but the easiest way to produce a huge amount of electricity is through fission.(The only waste is one golf-ball sized spent fuel, and heat). And with this amount of power, it makes creating H2 easy.

Quote:"We have surplus electricity most of the time, already."

Depends where you live. I am in NH, and PSNH gives me massive discounts on compact fluorescents, timed water heaters, free energy inspections, etc, so they don't have to build another plant.

Perhaps someday hydrogen-powered cars will be practical (once the issues of distribution, power for electrolysis, convenience, range capability/size/towing capacity of the vehicle are solved).

And in terms of helping the environment, the behaviors of most of the other countries in the world will have to also go 'green'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 06:33 AM

6,502 posts, read 6,417,776 times
The Japanese find that when using fission they also increase the rate of evolution. With all that radiation, things proceed much faster.

Old 12-06-2011, 06:00 AM

41,505 posts, read 51,182,599 times
I doubt if Hydrogen will ever be a major fuel because of the difficulties manufacturing, storing, transporting and using this gas. It has and still does cost the space programs enormous amounts of money to fuel their second stage rockets with Hydrogen.

I think that the likeliest automotive drive technology will be a rechargeable hybrid battery electric with an onboard generator powered by a highly turbocharged diesel engine burning vegetable or reformed coal derived fuel. We could continue our policy of subsidizing the agricultural corn business but instead of loosing energy distilling fuel alcohol these cars could use corn or other (hemp) derived vegetable oil. Overall this would be much more efficient than our wasteful gasohol system and much safer and less costly than Hydrogen in any form.

Old 12-28-2011, 06:16 PM

1 posts, read 1,672 times
don't forget about the tesla coil. put one of those in your electric car to stay topped off. you wouldn't even need to ''stop and fill up'' anymore.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:16 PM

7,231 posts, read 15,261,399 times
About every 10 years or so (starting in the mid80s), I see something from Ballard Power, talking about hydrogen-powered cars are just 10 years away. It's 2012 and they are STILL just 10 years away, except it's going on 40 years since I first heard that phrase....

Old 01-05-2012, 11:51 AM

448 posts, read 864,011 times
i would not go for it. fuel is not avalable everywhere. a new deisel will still out perform it in terms of MPG. and it's LEASE only so why would i rent the dam car and the money on top of it to and pay higher insurance rates for a lease. it cost em 350.000k to build it i'll go buy a ferrari at that price

Old 07-08-2012, 09:11 PM

15,924 posts, read 17,363,614 times
UPDATE:

A Mercedes-Benz hydrogen SUV or sedan in the works

A Mercedes-Benz hydrogen SUV or sedan in the works | Green Tech - CNET News

Old 07-08-2012, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganto_2010 View Post
i would not go for it. fuel is not avalable everywhere. a new deisel will still out perform it in terms of MPG. and it's LEASE only so why would i rent the dam car and the money on top of it to and pay higher insurance rates for a lease. it cost em 350.000k to build it i'll go buy a ferrari at that price
Hmmmm, isn't that exactly what they said a couple of decades ago about the electric car?

Old 07-09-2012, 07:42 AM

6,502 posts, read 6,417,776 times
There's an easy way to know when hydrogen power is on the way, watch Iceland. They have almost unlimited geothermal power and no hydrocarbon resources. Hydrogen will make sense there years before it makes economic sense anyplace else. Nothing happening in Iceland? Nothing happening here any time soon.

Move along. These aren't the droids you're looking for.

Old 07-10-2012, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
There's an easy way to know when hydrogen power is on the way, watch Iceland. They have almost unlimited geothermal power and no hydrocarbon resources. Hydrogen will make sense there years before it makes economic sense anyplace else. Nothing happening in Iceland? Nothing happening here any time soon.

Move along. These aren't the droids you're looking for.
So what you're saying is Mercedes Benz is knowingly wasting their corporate money?

California is wasting their money building hydrogen fuel stations?

Home Page: California Hydrogen Highway

Forbes is talking BS?

Hydrogen-Powered Vehicles Could Emerge From Traffic - Forbes

Honda's FCX is a fantasy?

Honda FCX Clarity Overview - Fuel Cell Electric Vehicle - Site

Methinks there is just a minor difference between Iceland and the United States of America, yathink?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or