U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 11:03 PM

8,521 posts, read 13,956,959 times

Advertisements

Just another ploy to get you yuppies to keep spending all of your money. Sort of like Starbucks, they got you guys all figured out. The biggest group that loves to "keep up".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 05:23 AM

8,648 posts, read 15,270,011 times
There's a sucker born ever day....

As for the coffee, I've never understood why anyone would pay 4 to 5 dollars for flavored coffee with a shot of whipped cream on the top of it......

Old 06-10-2011, 07:12 AM

5,090 posts, read 9,833,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
Just another ploy to get you yuppies to keep spending all of your money. Sort of like Starbucks, they got you guys all figured out. The biggest group that loves to "keep up".

m'kay.

Real question? Since you have special insights, and all.

How is it more profitable for "they," as you say, if folks spend less money as they do things that reduce use, recycle and reuse existing?

That is a real question. Probably a concept worthy of the business section, if you wish.

You follow that I am not debating your thesis, just hoping you can give a little deeper information.

Thanks!

Old 06-10-2011, 06:19 PM

39,255 posts, read 40,625,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
How is it more profitable for "they," as you say, if folks spend less money as they do things that reduce use, recycle and reuse existing?
When I was a kid "paper drives" were common way organizations like the Boy Scouts would make a few extra bucks by collecting newspapers they would then sell to the recycler. Nowadays it's mandated and I pay for this service. This is one example of many I could provide.

Old 06-10-2011, 08:05 PM

15,924 posts, read 17,384,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
First off many of us here don't qualify being called yuppies....

Being green means many things to many people (if you would look at most of the threads here you'll find various levels of "green living")

I for one hardly recycle anything, use plastic bags when shopping and keep my AC at 74.

I do utilize what I buy and take care of what I buy and don't purchase anything every year just because it's the latest and greatest.

When something breaks I fix it rather than throw it away and buy new.

I refuse to buy water in plastic bottles, recycled toilet paper and new automobiles......

And I think it's ludicrous to buy my espresso coffee from Starbucks when I make it at home for 1/50th the price........

Old 06-10-2011, 08:45 PM

28,151 posts, read 39,780,550 times
We recycle everything we can, within reason. Our recycle bin for the curb is almost full when they pick it up every other week, and yes we pay a little to have it hauled away. We recycle paper, tin, glass, etc.

I fill up the truck with trimmings from trees and take it to the landfill where I pay $12 to haul it in and dump it. They make compost out of it. I can, if I want, pick up a load of wood mulch while I'm there, for free. The larger limbs I cut up for firewood.

Yes, I pay to do it. So what? It's not that much, and it's better than having it go to a landfill.

BTW, I'm not a yuppie... and no Starbucks for me. Folgers on sale.

Old 06-10-2011, 09:11 PM

766 posts, read 1,154,996 times
I'm a combo type person. I value the savings of frugal living. I consider myself a treehugging environmentalist (to a point), and I fantasize about Off-grid living.

Therefore, I try to 'pick and choose' my battles. If a concept will satisfy 2 out of 3, then I'll try to incorporate it into my life.

Old 06-10-2011, 11:40 PM

4,179 posts, read 9,394,785 times
To me, "Green Living" is common sense living.
I recycle as much as I can - but don't use a recycling bin. Plastic grocery bags double as small trash can liners. My cows provide milk and meat - and manure that fertilizes not only their pasture but my garden. In the garden, we get vegies - and the leftovers feed the chickens and cattle. Trees and limbs that my neighbors remove go into the woodstove - as do cardboard boxes, cut small to fit just so; they'll make a fast hot roaring fire even in a blizzard. I damper it down and it burns all night, keeping the house toasty so we don't use our propane heater. If you use seasoned wood, the smoke it emits is white, and barely noticeable. I cook and can our own food, and recycle the jars. We hunt and fish and have a great time.

Do I want to put up a windmill for my own electricity? You bet. Would I like to eventually go off grid? Sure. But I won't as long as I 1) have to pay an arm, a leg, and the left foreleg of a South African wombat to do it, or 2) have to give up normal human comforts like being warm in the winter or eating nothing but wildkill. I'm about as green (save for the windmill) as I'm going to get. My two toyotas get 38 miles to the gallon, and we drive them once a week for supplies. I won't buy an electric car, because I know where electricity comes from, and it isn't from a magic plug in the wall like some folks seem to think, but fossil fuels; the same fossil fuels they are screaming about not using in their cars. When someone invents a tractor that can do the work all day of a diesel, that I can plug into my barn wall to recharge from my windmill, we'll talk. Until then... um, no.

The hysteria about green living is just that - hysteria. I have seen fanatics in holy roller churches that have NOTHING on "greenies" for passion and a refusal to be rational and thoughtful. Common sense and unsubsidized, real applications that save both fossil fuels and money I can get behind; BS ones like ethanol and other fads that cost twice the energy to produce than the nasty old oil and coal won't ever get my support - no matter who believes in global warming, climate change, or the High Priest Al Gore.

Old 06-11-2011, 12:19 AM

14,095 posts, read 23,639,181 times
Enviromentalist would get more people if they sold the idea as a way of saving money. We don't have curb side recycling in our area but we do use the plastic grocery bags for small trash cans or for bringing lunch to work. We keep the home AC at 73 because my wife has to lay on a heating pad for her back problems. However, we have heat reflective window tint, solar screens, water heater set at 120 degrees, do laundry with cold water, low flow toilet, low flow shower head, and we've changed our driving habits to increase our fuel economy.

Old 06-12-2011, 09:24 AM

10,861 posts, read 10,536,018 times
There are many facets of "going green." I do think some of them are a joke and some not. I think some of it is living a "common sense" existence. I'm definitely into minimalism and frugal living, which I suppose is an aspect of "going green." But I do it to save money and simplify my life, not so much to "save the world." BTW, I'm no yuppie and I haven't tasted coffee since I was a little kid. Never been into a Starbucks. And I couldn't care less what people around me have or don't have, or do or don't do. You shouldn't lump all green types into one pile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living