Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2013, 05:31 AM

5 posts, read 18,962 times

Advertisements

Wow, so much misinformation in this forum. So lets correct a few things: The combustion engines used for power generation are designed to run at one speed and be VERY efficient at that one speed because the mechanical engineers have a set constant, which is the speed, to optimize efficiency for. After all, the power grid is 60 Hertz AC and maintaining the frequency requires that all generators turn and hold exactly one speed, whether it be 3600, 1800, 900, 720, 450 RPM, etc. The same is NOT true for combustion engines in cars because of the variable nature of the speed, which changes many of the other variables needed to make a combustion engine efficient. So, a combustion engine in power generation utterly owns a combustion engine for cars in both fuel consumption and efficiency.

Secondly, electricity absolutely face slaps every other means of delivering power over 100's or thousands of miles, and when it comes to flexibility. If, for example, you have an engine producing 5,000 horsepower that is 100 miles away, and need to get as close to that 5,000 horsepower figure at the other end with an electric motor as the final output, then electricity wins hands down. If you need more horsepower at the other end then just start up a few more engine-gen sets and sync the outputs with the power grid or if in off peak hours then shut down a few engine-gen sets to save on not wasting fuel for what is not needed. Even the generators can be turned by anything that can hold speed under varying load conditions. Again folks, flexibility is key here. Nothing mechanical or fluid can even begin to hold a candle to having efficiencies of electricity at long distances or the flexibility.

Finally, for you guys that want electric cars: You should consider that a battery requires multiple parts to make it, which always puts them at a cost disadvantage and they wear out over time; whereas Gasoline is just simply one of the many hydrocarbon compounds that make up crude oil that is made by the process of fractional distillation of crude oil. Now if they can create a battery that is the tank that you fill up with some non-toxic fluid that goes down as the battery is used up, and the battery cell tank can last at least 25 years, then I could see electric cars taking off. But until then, I think gas powered cars are going to be here a while, irrespective of how polluting they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 08:56 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,395,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
I looked into a new Nissan Leaf, and found out, on the internet, that you can indeed just plug'er in to your 110V home electrical system, but that is truly the slowest possible option. You can also set it up for 220V charging, which takes (obviously..) about 1/2 the time.

And/or you can have the approved hard-wired Nissan charging stand setup wired into your home, but only if you have a more modern 300 - 400 amp service. Our near-120 yr old home would not provide such an option. But anyhow, that 30 minute fast-charge option will cost you an additional...

(noting that the car alone will cost you ≈ $38k. yikes a-mighty!)

...$3800, additional cost. Hmmm. A lot more than a simpler, faster and far more economical diesel engined option, IMHO.
the 30 minute charger is not really an in-home option. that's a public charging station really. you can get a 220v charger for your home for less than $1500 for the Leaf. some as low as $800.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
I wonder how many used car dealerships will provide the new owner with the previous owners personal information.

If a perspective owner "needs to be certain" that the previous owner never let it discharge completely this is just another example of the ridiculous nature of electric cars and the mentality that surrounds them...
yes, because there are zero concerns with buying an 8 year old conventional car, not knowing what the previous owner did with things like alignments, transmission fluid, accident repairs, etc. etc.

it's a risk you run purchasing a used vehicle.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:02 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,987,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
I wonder how many used car dealerships will provide the new owner with the previous owners personal information.

If a perspective owner "needs to be certain" that the previous owner never let it discharge completely this is just another example of the ridiculous nature of electric cars and the mentality that surrounds them...
The vehicle data recorder should hold that type of information. No need to query a previous owner

Old 06-19-2013, 01:51 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,296,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEtechs View Post

Finally, for you guys that want electric cars: You should consider that a battery requires multiple parts to make it, which always puts them at a cost disadvantage and they wear out over time; whereas Gasoline is just simply one of the many hydrocarbon compounds that make up crude oil that is made by the process of fractional distillation of crude oil. Now if they can create a battery that is the tank that you fill up with some non-toxic fluid that goes down as the battery is used up, and the battery cell tank can last at least 25 years, then I could see electric cars taking off. But until then, I think gas powered cars are going to be here a while, irrespective of how polluting they are.
You are correct, but you fail to mention that an electric vehicle can have nearly no maintenance, as it doesn't need a combustion engine, a transmission, an exhaust system, a radiator, an alternator, or an ignition system. I would argue that the desired specs of a gasoline powered vehicle are driven by the tech rather than vice versa. Had electric vehicles developed first, no one would care that you need to recharge every two hundred miles and they would be talking about how ridiculous it would be to pay $60 to refuel every week.

Old 06-21-2013, 08:26 AM

Battery Swap | Tesla Motors

this eliminates another one of the concerns people have about an EV. 93 seconds to swap out for full range.

Old 06-21-2013, 08:55 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,823,278 times
Just the name should tell you all.

Old 06-21-2013, 03:29 PM

353 posts, read 1,000,780 times
Not sure if it was said....but running the radio, heat, AC etc...takes life out of the battery as well. You quickly lose power when listening to NPR on your way to Trader Joes!

Old 06-21-2013, 04:06 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,987,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Why_Am_I_Here View Post
Not sure if it was said....but running the radio, heat, AC etc...takes life out of the battery as well. You quickly lose power when listening to NPR on your way to Trader Joes!
LOL, people post the damnest nonsense on message boards.

Old 06-21-2013, 06:10 PM

353 posts, read 1,000,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
LOL, people post the damnest nonsense on message boards.
I used one for my job..so did my co-workers, so I think we know what we are talking about. We all had the same issues. So.....now what you got?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living