Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 12:38 PM

41,815 posts, read 50,920,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Maybe they should start concentrating on the "Christmas tree" effect in everyone;s house at night. Why do we need a clock built into everything?
That drives me nuts. Not only is it wasteful but it looks ridiculous to have all those clocks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 12:36 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,922,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
That drives me nuts. Not only is it wasteful but it looks ridiculous to have all those clocks.
Nothing a little strip of black duck tape can't fix.

Old 06-30-2011, 05:16 PM

15,913 posts, read 20,157,064 times
Quote:
Doesn't have to be "on", just plugged in.
My TV, converter box and home stereo are all plugged into a surge protected power strip which I turn on and off by a wall switch...

e.g. No power is being consumed when I turn them off

Just another small green thing I have been practicing all these years......

I am well aware of all the appliances in my home that consume power even when they are turned off.

~DUH~ You act like this isn't well known.........

http://gogreeninyourhome.com/how-to-...en-turned-off/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standby_power

http://www.utilitybillbusters.com/ar...ppliances-use/

And there are literally hundreds of other web sites on this topic, it's nothing new...

Last edited by plwhit; 06-30-2011 at 05:36 PM..

Old 06-30-2011, 05:24 PM

Quote:
The reason for all the appliances to have clocks in them is it gives someone exercise to run around the house and reset them when the AC power fails

Old 06-30-2011, 05:30 PM

15,701 posts, read 17,001,975 times
Here is what bugs me.

Photo-light sensors....or whatever they are called.

For instance, my security light stays on for about an hour after it is plenty light enough outside to see. Same thing at night, they come on a lot earlier than they need to.

I have often wondered how much electricity would be saved if all security lights everywhere were more light sensitive.

And......no way am I turning off all of my electronics, all of the time, and then having to re-program/reset them everytime I turn them back on......NOT GONNA HAPPEN.

Old 06-30-2011, 06:17 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,052,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
For instance, my security light stays on for about an hour after it is plenty light enough outside to see. Same thing at night, they come on a lot earlier than they need to.
Replace the photocell. As they age, they are less sensitive to light, and thus turn on earlier and stay on longer. It should also face North.

Old 06-30-2011, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Here is what bugs me.

I have often wondered how much electricity would be saved if all security lights everywhere were more light sensitive.

And......no way am I turning off all of my electronics, all of the time, and then having to re-program/reset them everytime I turn them back on......NOT GONNA HAPPEN.

???? I don't have to reprogram my converter/tv/hs every time I turn them on.

I do have to wait about 120 seconds for the converter to initialize, big deal.

Maybe you need to get something that's less then 30 years old

Old 06-30-2011, 08:22 PM

41,815 posts, read 50,920,524 times
Quote:
Here is what bugs me.

Get lights with motion detectors.

Quote:
That's the primary problem with the TV box, it takes a few minutes to boot once it powers off. At least mine does.

Old 06-30-2011, 08:53 PM

15,701 posts, read 17,001,975 times
Quote:
Get lights with motion detectors.

That's the primary problem with the TV box, it takes a few minutes to boot once it powers off. At least mine does.
I have had those, in fact they are still on the house, but I keep them turned off. They came on constantly.....when the wind blew, when the snowflakes fell.....sometime for no reason I could see at all. I must have climbed up and down the ladder a hundred times adjusting the damn things....to no avail.

If there is a certain brand out there that is reliable.....please let me know.....because I LOVE the idea of them.

As far as the photo cell, mine is a couple of years old.....but it is very hard and a little dangerous to get to it.....not worth it to me to change them anymore than necessary. Can't reach it with a ladder, have to lean way out off of the edge of the roof to reach it......it scares me to death everytime I have to replace the bulb or the photocell. {{{shiver}}} The older I get, the more it scares me too.

Also, all of my neighbor's security lights stay on about as long as mine does.....except one.....and his stays on all day......it is at the top of a utility pole he put in his backyard.....he would need to rent a crame to reach it. That's why it has been like that for literally 3 or 4 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living