Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2011, 03:21 PM

450 posts, read 5,014,510 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My husband and I would really like to adopt a rescue dog. We have two indoor cats who have never had any fleas. My only hesitation about adopting a dog is that I do not want to put pesticides on it in the form of flea/tick preventatives because we do not use any chemicals in the home or yard. I use only organic cleaning products, laundry detergent, etc.

So I'm wondering if there are any chemical-free ways to make sure the dog doesn't get fleas. I've read about putting nematodes in the yard because they are predators for the fleas, which sounds like a great place to start, but would that be enough? We live in a temperate climate, with a moderate flea season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2011, 11:37 AM

13,513 posts, read 19,234,150 times
Diatomaceous Earth - Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth Health Benefits..... the only thing I'll use...inexpensive....works great...non-toxic

Old 08-06-2011, 02:25 PM

30,214 posts, read 23,636,749 times
I have used nematodes, in the form of Flea Busters, (the company), when I lived in Seattle and when I lived in Miami.

I swear by this product. It is guaranteed for a year but in Seattle, it was still working 5 years later when I moved out.

In Miami, I had it done and moved away a little over a year later and it was still working.

If you want something that works and works well, use FleaBusters. You can either have them do it or you do it yourself.

They treat the inside of your house and the outside. You will NOT have fleas.

Old 08-11-2011, 12:17 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,673,153 times
Use crushed garlic, (juice), on your dog. Careful not to get it in the dog's eyes. Ticks and fleas will want nothing to do with him. It doesn't take much either. For fleas alone feeding your dog a garlic supplement also works.

Old 08-11-2011, 12:49 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,562,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
Use crushed garlic, (juice), on your dog. Careful not to get it in the dog's eyes. Ticks and fleas will want nothing to do with him. It doesn't take much either. For fleas alone feeding your dog a garlic supplement also works.
There's actually been a lot of research showing that garlic doesn't work with dogs and fleas. And too much garlic is actually toxic to your dog.

Old 08-11-2011, 01:48 PM

8,307 posts, read 38,717,832 times
I don't have any first hand experience, but someone mentioned cedar oil as a topical preventive for dogs and cats. The ideal feels sound.

For treating your yard, diatomaceous earth (food grade) definitely works - but if you live in an area that gets a lot of rain you'll be reapplying pretty frequently.

The most important thing with ticks is simply to keep your grass short. If they have long grass they can hide from birds and don't get cooked by direct sun.

Old 09-05-2011, 11:43 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,614,847 times
Here is a website I found recently: My Home Remedies - My Home Remedies - Home Remedy Forum.

Go under subcategory of pets. Am looking for something for my cat, she may have mites, her hair is falling out, ugh... there is a "remedy" of listerine, vinegar and a few other ingredients, supposedly safe to use as a spray to kill fleas, ticks and other critters. Hope it works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living