U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 08:03 AM

1,550 posts, read 3,063,675 times

Advertisements

I have been looking at manual washing machine for over a year. I finally bought the WonderWash but it is made of plastic and the standing frame broke 2x already. Why hasn't anyone made it of metal? Maybe convert a propane tank into one... geez ...but NOT plastic!

I'm now looking at a electrical spin dryers but the two I've seen have mixed reviews of poor coustomers service and break down of the unit with a year or two. They cost too much for that to happen.

Are there any other alternatives out there? Or just going back to the plunger and bucket with a wringer the best over all. Thanks for any help from you all, I've been looking for some time now with no hope in sight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 11:10 AM

15,561 posts, read 24,894,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyewrist View Post
I have been looking at manual washing machine for over a year. I finally bought the WonderWash but it is made of plastic and the standing frame broke 2x already. Why hasn't anyone made it of metal? Maybe convert a propane tank into one... geez ...but NOT plastic!

I'm now looking at a electrical spin dryers but the two I've seen have mixed reviews of poor coustomers service and break down of the unit with a year or two. They cost too much for that to happen.

Are there any other alternatives out there? Or just going back to the plunger and bucket with a wringer the best over all. Thanks for any help from you all, I've been looking for some time now with no hope in sight.

why???? a clothesline will dry the clothes for free.

Old 07-20-2011, 11:52 AM
Ode

298 posts, read 685,092 times
Try Lehmans Lehmans.com for possibilities. They have lots of non-electric appliances. The cost may be higher than you think for what seems to be a simple product. But they are very well made and sturdy, made for heavy use. I have purchased many times from this company and have only ever had good experiences with them. I am not affiliated with the company in any way, I am merely a satisfied customer.

Old 07-22-2011, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
why???? a clothesline will dry the clothes for free.
I do line dry; just wanted to get MORE water out before hanging

Old 07-22-2011, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ode View Post
Try Lehmans Lehmans.com for possibilities. They have lots of non-electric appliances. The cost may be higher than you think for what seems to be a simple product. But they are very well made and sturdy, made for heavy use. I have purchased many times from this company and have only ever had good experiences with them. I am not affiliated with the company in any way, I am merely a satisfied customer.
Thanks for the tip going there now.

Old 07-24-2011, 04:01 PM

4,729 posts, read 8,610,611 times
This manual 5-gallon unit is marketed as a salad spinner, but I bet it would work just fine for lighter loads of laundry. Maybe not towels or jeans, but socks and undies for sure. It is plastic though.

The replacement drive gear is stainless though, and it's sold separately... someone handy could rig something up with it and old perforated metal washing machine drum.

Cranked centrifuge isn't total rocket science You won't get major RPM in a manual like you can with an electric without some mechanical advantage. Higher RPMS could be achieved by linking together several different-sized gears & pulleys/belts to get maximum spin for minimum crank, but that makes the design more complicated and could be easier to break.

I've been knocking around a more substantial design for my Wonder Washer. My frame is still holding, but the plastic pressure adjustment screw on the top has bitten the dust. Either need a way to replace that adjustment screw with something that has some longevity, or figure out how to make the whole thing out of a pressurizable metal keg.

Just a few more things to add to the list of things I need to do whenever I figure out how to clone myself :P

Old 07-25-2011, 09:20 AM

14,693 posts, read 23,071,063 times
Search the forum and ye will find:

Janitorial mop bucket is excellent for laundry

Old 07-25-2011, 07:54 PM

Why does this PLASTIC cost so much? The spinner cost $99 ...why? No thanks

I posted under SueDemin and I have decided to take her route of doing things the plunger and janitorial mop bucket with wringer...it is the MOST cost effective way to clean clothes manually

Old 07-25-2011, 10:36 PM

4,179 posts, read 9,387,002 times
LOL @ "spin-dry" - why not a hand washer with an attached wringer? If you use it properly (not just shove clothes in, which can lead to breakage and bedlam) it will get out a lot more water.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
LOL @ "spin-dry" - why not a hand washer with an attached wringer? If you use it properly (not just shove clothes in, which can lead to breakage and bedlam) it will get out a lot more water.
I will go with the mop bucket for now... too fustrated with these expensive designed washer and dryer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living