U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 01:32 PM

5 posts, read 3,518 times

Advertisements

Has anyone heard of any place that recycles old prescription pill bottles?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 04:05 PM

4,919 posts, read 19,797,756 times
They should be recycle with normal recycle plastics. I think there is some law that prevents used pill bottles from being reused as in used for other pills without going through some processing. I know some drug stores are now offering refill service. You bring the old bottle in and they use it for your refill instead of using a new bottle. I think it has to be the same presecription medication because of something about medication interaction (probably why it can't be reused by others).

In europe there are people who collect them and wash them and remove labels. they sell them as hardware containers.

Your local pot dealers will also take them off your hand.

if your just looking for them to be reused instead of in the landfill, many crafts people like them so if you have enough, ask someone into hobbies or crafts if they need them.

Old 08-18-2011, 04:52 PM

983 posts, read 2,171,926 times
I just put mine in the recycle bin with everything else.

Old 08-22-2011, 08:19 AM

766 posts, read 1,154,418 times
Ask around among friends and family. They have all sorts of great uses. Craft beads, fishing tackle, coin collectors (those hoarding silver/copper, etc), gardeners for seed storage, office supplies (paper clips, push pins, staples).... just a few examples.

Maybe even freecycle, or wait until you have an entire bag full and advertise on craigslist.

Last edited by springazure; 08-22-2011 at 09:10 AM..

Old 04-18-2012, 01:16 PM

1 posts, read 2,829 times
Default prescription bottles

With labels on?

Old 05-08-2012, 03:44 PM

4,752 posts, read 6,497,567 times
These are not allowed in the recycling in my city.

I found this website and have sent this guy my prescription bottles: P.R.O. (Prescription bottle, Recycling, Operation)

Old 05-08-2012, 05:17 PM

15,924 posts, read 17,381,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
These are not allowed in the recycling in my city.

I found this website and have sent this guy my prescription bottles: P.R.O. (Prescription bottle, Recycling, Operation)
The website hasn't been updated in 3 years....

Old 05-08-2012, 05:38 PM

4,752 posts, read 6,497,567 times
I called him about a year ago (there was no email address listed) and he told me I could send the bottles- I figure that until he takes his website down, he runs the risk of getting bottles shipped to him.

Old 05-19-2012, 12:03 AM

3,388 posts, read 5,729,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
if your just looking for them to be reused instead of in the landfill, many crafts people like them so if you have enough, ask someone into hobbies or crafts if they need them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by springazure View Post
Ask around among friends and family. They have all sorts of great uses. Craft beads, fishing tackle, coin collectors (those hoarding silver/copper, etc), gardeners for seed storage, office supplies (paper clips, push pins, staples).... just a few examples.

Maybe even freecycle, or wait until you have an entire bag full and advertise on craigslist.
Yup!

I wash my old bottles, then remove the labels, and use them for all sorts of things, such as containers for jewelry findings, beads, screws, nails, bolts, little things like that. I have also used them for starting plants inside the house, for mixing spices, holding small amounts of dips or sauces, mixing paints for my hobby, etc... All sorts of stuff.

Forgot to add, if you get enough of them, you can nail the tops onto a piece of wood, then hang the wood over your workbench and fill the bottles full of timy things, like car fuses, nails, screws, seeds, any shed type stuff and what have you. Kinda like people used to do with old mason jars or baby food jars.

Old 05-19-2012, 12:04 AM

43,441 posts, read 52,446,512 times
Good for holding spices.

I also use one bottle to hold small amounts of the same med to take to work, travel, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living