U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 12:52 PM

521 posts, read 718,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
I'm sorry the facts contradict your 1950's view of the world. My assertions are/is verifiable smart people are moving to cities where one doesn't need a car. In several of those cities bikes are the fastest growing form of commuting.
Please see the bolded corrections to your mind-blowingly "smart" response. Granted, punctuation doesn't directly measure intelligence but if one is capable of identifying "verifiable smart people" I'd like to think they would know how to type a couple sentences correctly.

I usually don't do the grammer police thing but felt I needed to point out the utter irony in that post.

My wife and I have lived carless around the Denver area for about a year in the past. In certain cities it can be done easily. In other cities without decent public transportation it would be harder or downright impossible. In the last place I lived it would literally be impossible to get by without a car unless you were already within walking distance of everything you need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 09:38 AM

6,505 posts, read 6,424,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiScree View Post
Please see the bolded corrections to your mind-blowingly "smart" response. Granted, punctuation doesn't directly measure intelligence but if one is capable of identifying "verifiable smart people" I'd like to think they would know how to type a couple sentences correctly.

I usually don't do the grammer police thing but felt I needed to point out the utter irony in that post.

My wife and I have lived carless around the Denver area for about a year in the past. In certain cities it can be done easily. In other cities without decent public transportation it would be harder or downright impossible. In the last place I lived it would literally be impossible to get by without a car unless you were already within walking distance of everything you need.
Thank for being useful. Everyone needs a cause.

Old 09-08-2011, 12:06 PM

15,924 posts, read 17,371,879 times
'Tis hopeless SkiScree, one cannot compete against a verifiable Smart Person.

Interesting website:

How to Live Without a Car - wikiHow

Old 09-08-2011, 08:44 PM

5,609 posts, read 8,519,043 times
I think ti's funny that the 'Way to be green' is to live in a concrete and steel hive and have everything transported (Using fossil fuels) to within walking distance of you!

(Vs living in a eco-friendly dwelling and provide a decent % of your needs for yourself, eliminating the need to have them delivered!)

Juuust sayin.

Old 09-09-2011, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
I think ti's funny that the 'Way to be green' is to live in a concrete and steel hive and have everything transported (Using fossil fuels) to within walking distance of you!

(Vs living in a eco-friendly dwelling and provide a decent % of your needs for yourself, eliminating the need to have them delivered!)

Juuust sayin.
Check your carbon footprint, it's probably 2-3 times that of one of those people you claim live in a concrete and steel hive. You're fooling yourself.

Old 09-09-2011, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Check your carbon footprint, it's probably 2-3 times that of one of those people you claim live in a concrete and steel hive. You're fooling yourself.

Sadly I'm not there yet. (Working on it)

However, several friends of mine DO live that lifestyle... I'd say that your SPECULATION is whole unfounded.

Not having the things trucked in, throwing away as much, low consumption lifestyle, grow or forage much of their food, etc...

What do you base this speculation on (If anything)

Old 09-09-2011, 04:19 PM

15,924 posts, read 17,371,879 times
Boy do I love these "I'm greener then you" tirades...

Old 09-09-2011, 06:17 PM

47,529 posts, read 45,245,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasyFootballGuy View Post
I live in Seattle and I am currently not using a car at all to get around. Seattle does not exactly have the best public transportation, yet I have still managed to live without one. It does help that I live in the Downtown area. Anyway, my question is, how come so many people have cars if so many people that have cars don't really need them and can live a perfectly happy life without them? Also, how much better would our air quality and environment be if many people quit driving so much? How much money would people save? How much healthier would they be by doing more walking? How much would the oil companies be affected? I guess it be a huge chain reaction.
You're in a better position than I am. Seattle doesn't have the best transit system, but it's making strides to be better. I live in the western suburbs of Atlanta(in northern Cobb County). I don't have a car. The bus system is a joke here. Bus routes have been cut in some places.

I am a student and my apartment complex is a mile from my university. However, in order to fulfill my needs outside of college and my apartment, that is a nightmare. If I need to go shopping for groceries, it can be done, but it gets difficult. Everything where I live is so spread out, and in some places, I can't get bus service, so I walk. In some places there are no sidewalks. In many cases I use a bicycle to get around. In metropolitan Atlanta, riding a bicycle is quite crazy. There are bicycle trails, but they are recreational. As for bicycle lanes, there are very few, if any. People have screamed foul things at me while I was riding my bicycle. Some people have done things like scream at me or honk their horns as they drove by, while I was walking. Some of this behavior gets done at night.

Old 09-10-2011, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Sadly I'm not there yet. (Working on it)

However, several friends of mine DO live that lifestyle... I'd say that your SPECULATION is whole unfounded.

Not having the things trucked in, throwing away as much, low consumption lifestyle, grow or forage much of their food, etc...

What do you base this speculation on (If anything)
Rural homesteads have everything trucked in. How many miles a year do you put on your vehicles? How much home heating fuel do you consume through the winter? The energy footprint for a farm, over and above that used in agriculture is usually quite large.

Old 09-10-2011, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Rural homesteads have everything trucked in. How many miles a year do you put on your vehicles? How much home heating fuel do you consume through the winter? The energy footprint for a farm, over and above that used in agriculture is usually quite large.
You Based that on what? I'm not talking about an 'agribusiness' which feeds the millions of ants in the steel and concrete nests...

(And as I said, I'm not there yet)

But as for this one set of my friends in particularNow that I think about it, 4)

They go to town 1x per month, they use a little propane in their cookstove... that's it.
-They heat with wood, from standing deadwood on their place. And one armload of wood does all day and night (Very efficient wood stove... that they also cook on in the winter, and the house has a VERY high R value)

Never said Farm, they use the very efficient 'square foot gardening method' etc.

I plan on doing a few things differently, such as the more efficient Rocket stove rather than the wood stove etc..

Involved in the land search right now...

But as I have said, I'm less of a 'Greenie' and more of a Roosevelt era conservationist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living