U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 11:50 AM

6,512 posts, read 6,436,022 times

Advertisements

The old I have a friend defense. Sweet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2011, 02:45 PM

5,609 posts, read 8,529,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
The old I have a friend defense. Sweet.

Well I COULD have said "Former Roommates" as I lived there for 6 months... but it didn't seem necessary.

So how about:

I USED to and WILL again live like that!

Old 09-10-2011, 03:56 PM

6,512 posts, read 6,436,022 times
My cousin's mother in law lives in a condo and doesn't even run her heat or ac. The building just keeps her place Perfect. (that's easy, doesn't even have to be true)

Old 09-10-2011, 04:57 PM

5,609 posts, read 8,529,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
My cousin's mother in law lives in a condo and doesn't even run her heat or ac. The building just keeps her place Perfect. (that's easy, doesn't even have to be true)

If you are going to call me a liar, at least be man enough to say it.

Otherwise... was there a point here?

Old 09-10-2011, 05:01 PM

15,924 posts, read 17,386,062 times
Now babies, can you take your squabble elsewhere?

Old 09-10-2011, 11:44 PM

3,376 posts, read 4,806,865 times
I've known of squabbles between commuter cyclists and motorists, but this thread has sure brought out an intense hatred between the two camps.

Certainly not the type of people I want stuck behind my semi in a traffic jam, let alone when pedaling to and from the yard on personal business.

Old 09-14-2011, 10:41 AM

5,311 posts, read 5,313,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasyFootballGuy View Post
Anyway, my question is, how come so many people have cars if so many people that have cars don't really need them and can live a perfectly happy life without them?
After an interesting, but not so surprising set of responses to your post, I think it's the following (in no particular order):

> People have grown up using cars. They are used to them, comfortable with them, and choose them over other methods of transport.

> People live in an area that has little-to-no public transit. Most of America is made-up of this type of development. Sad IMO. I'm not even sure how transit could be run to some development, because many places are so low density and unplanned (in terms of PT feasibility).

> People have certain factors (e.g. large families, health issues, etc.) that they use as a reason to not do so, and they have already made the decision to continue driving. With a few exceptions, everyone could cut down on the amount they drive; very few people decide to do so (or spend the time to figure out how to do so).

> People don't see the true value in walking most places, thus they dismiss it as being a silly waste of their time. I would like to point out that this does not mean that you have to live in NYC, so the argument of living in a hectic, dense place is kind of irrelevant. Many towns, villages, small cities, etc. have walkable aspects to them.

> People think that if they have to drive to work, they might as well drive everywhere else. It's the black and white argument. People rarely try to trim the fat off the volume of their vehicle usage as a goal for their health, finances (unless forced to do so) or principle.

> People don't believe there is a threat of affording a car or being able to drive in the future.

> Driving a car is a maintream mentality, and there is a strong national mindset that it's the way to get around. Having a nice car is sometimes even a social status symbol.

There are other reasons, but I think a mix of the reasons above are why people choose to continue to drive; or live in a place where they have to drive. Let me be clear, this is not a judgement.

On the other hand, whenever a question is asked (like the one in this thread), my impression is that people get very defensive. Although the OP alluded to why he/she felt walking more places was a benefit over driving, I just don't see the assault on drivers that must be evident in some peoples' eyes, based on the posts I read.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:49 PM

12,273 posts, read 15,146,666 times
And walking more, instead of driving anywhere more than a few feet away, may be healthier. I understand that in Europe it is very common to walk to destinations three miles away. High gas prices aside, it is considered a recreational activity.

Old 09-14-2011, 09:11 PM
Status: "Days like this I think to myself "I hate living in Georgia"." (set 7 days ago)

47,706 posts, read 45,328,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
And walking more, instead of driving anywhere more than a few feet away, may be healthier. I understand that in Europe it is very common to walk to destinations three miles away. High gas prices aside, it is considered a recreational activity.
It depends on where you are. I live in the Atlanta area, and there is a reason Atlanta is called Hotlanta. Walking three miles in Atlanta during summer is a nightmare. I would do better living in Amsterdam or London than I would the Atlanta area.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:56 PM

69 posts, read 140,954 times
I hate driving a car. But I hate riding a bike in 108 degree or 15 degree weather even more.

I've tried to go 100% carfree several times in my life. It's liberating in some respects, but very inconvenient in others. It also doesn't help that I've tried to do so in Kansas and Kentucky, in areas with a very car-centric culture, sprawling towns and terrible or completely no public transit.

If I could afford to live in a decent sized city in a somewhat central location, I could do very well without a car. But until that glorious day, I'll stick with my very used Honda so I'm not stranded at home all the time or spending half my day just getting to where I have to go.

I do admire the people who really live their values though, and put up with 108 degree weather and a 30 miles a day commute on bike just to be sustainable. I don't think I have it in me...at least not until my kid is a little older.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living