Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 04:23 PM

61 posts, read 78,404 times

Advertisements

You can in Philly Center City and Southern part too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2011, 05:45 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,898,193 times
Default Impressive list, but the most important one is missing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
After an interesting, but not so surprising set of responses to your post, I think it's the following (in no particular order):

> People have grown up using cars. They are used to them, comfortable with them, and choose them over other methods of transport.

> People live in an area that has little-to-no public transit. Most of America is made-up of this type of development. Sad IMO. I'm not even sure how transit could be run to some development, because many places are so low density and unplanned (in terms of PT feasibility).

> People have certain factors (e.g. large families, health issues, etc.) that they use as a reason to not do so, and they have already made the decision to continue driving. With a few exceptions, everyone could cut down on the amount they drive; very few people decide to do so (or spend the time to figure out how to do so).

> People don't see the true value in walking most places, thus they dismiss it as being a silly waste of their time. I would like to point out that this does not mean that you have to live in NYC, so the argument of living in a hectic, dense place is kind of irrelevant. Many towns, villages, small cities, etc. have walkable aspects to them.

> People think that if they have to drive to work, they might as well drive everywhere else. It's the black and white argument. People rarely try to trim the fat off the volume of their vehicle usage as a goal for their health, finances (unless forced to do so) or principle.

> People don't believe there is a threat of affording a car or being able to drive in the future.

> Driving a car is a maintream mentality, and there is a strong national mindset that it's the way to get around. Having a nice car is sometimes even a social status symbol.

There are other reasons, but I think a mix of the reasons above are why people choose to continue to drive; or live in a place where they have to drive. Let me be clear, this is not a judgement.

On the other hand, whenever a question is asked (like the one in this thread), my impression is that people get very defensive. Although the OP alluded to why he/she felt walking more places was a benefit over driving, I just don't see the assault on drivers that must be evident in some peoples' eyes, based on the posts I read.
Obviously you have given a lot of thought to your list, and I think every item on it is valid. But isn't the most important reason to own a car, and use it, missing? That reason is convenience and saving time. Let's take a real example from my own life. I live close to several bus routes, one of which I can use to get to my part-time job. But with a 7-minute walk to the stop and one wait for a transfer, the 12-minute car drive becomes about a 30-minute bus commute, or maybe more. Then after work, if I have my car it is so easy to run errands - doesn't matter which direction the errand is whether I have spent time trying to plan it: return a library book, pick up stuff at Trader Joe's (not close to home like the "other" market but I prefer certain items I can get there), or maybe a dental appointment. Invited to friends for a dinner party? One good set of friends lives across town and I am usually the one to give an elderly no-longer driving person a ride there. Sunday evening concert at Walt Disney Hall in downtown Los Angeles? I live right on a bus line (no walk) which goes right there (no transfer). But returning home on a bus late at night, nicely dressed to set myself apart? No thanks.

Planning an out-of-town road trip? Easy - clear my calendar, pick the morning, and take off! Please don't tell me about Greyhound, Amtrac, and the airlines, which I've used and I know about. When I have specific things to do and/or people to see in minor, out of the way places, nothing beats my car. On December 26 last, I left Los Angeles and visited museums/relatives/friends in Fredricksburg, Texas; Austin, Texas; Baton Rouge, Louisiana; Springfield, Louisiana; Mobile, Alabama; Pensacola, Florida; Little Rock, Arkansas; and finally Chinle, Arizona before coming on in home. What a wonderful, enjoyable trip. Saw some cousins I hadn't seen in five years. Made possible because of my car which is a great joy to drive in any case.

Edited to add: I do a whole lot of walking within a mile or two of my place. I walk to the grocery store, to haircuts, to restaurants, and more. I love to walk and I have even walked four miles to a movie just for the exercise. But I would not dream of being without my car; if I had to be without my car my life would be over.

Old 09-18-2011, 11:08 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,115,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasyFootballGuy View Post
I live in Seattle and I am currently not using a car at all to get around. Seattle does not exactly have the best public transportation, yet I have still managed to live without one. It does help that I live in the Downtown area. Anyway, my question is, how come so many people have cars if so many people that have cars don't really need them and can live a perfectly happy life without them? Also, how much better would our air quality and environment be if many people quit driving so much? How much money would people save? How much healthier would they be by doing more walking? How much would the oil companies be affected? I guess it be a huge chain reaction.
Living in NY has afforded me the oppportunity to take advantage of not owning a car. No auto insurance, no alternate side of the street parking to deal with, no digging out after a snowstorm, no fuel costs, winter tire costs, no oil changes, mechanical repairs, tune ups, no insepctions, no scrapes and scratches to surprise me when parked in a shopping mall parking lot.

For vacations or weekend trips, we rent a car, but other than that, no necessity here to own a hunk of metal that requires more care and maintenance than having kids. I love the freedom that not owning a car brings. As my grandmother used to say..."You don't own things, they own you."

Old 09-19-2011, 08:15 AM

1,801 posts, read 3,553,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
And walking more, instead of driving anywhere more than a few feet away, may be healthier. I understand that in Europe it is very common to walk to destinations three miles away. High gas prices aside, it is considered a recreational activity.
yes it is. Most people I know like to go for a daily walk just for the sake of walking, without a prefixed destination, alone or with friends/family. And your typical Saturday evening is spent walking (you usually stroll around for a good while between stops) from café A to café B to theatre C, unless the distance is unreasonable.

It's only when it's too hot, freezing cold or pouring with rain that people will try to trace more direct itineraries and hurry up, using a much quicker step and/or public transportation to arrive.

Old 09-28-2011, 04:37 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,896,239 times
I know that in Chicago, when world cup soccer matches were being held at Soldier Field, shuttle buses were setup to get European visitors from their Hotels two miles away. But many forgot they were in the United States and walked there as if they were back home.

Old 09-30-2011, 09:23 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
I currently have a car and drive for many of my errands. Once my car dies, I plan to ditch it for a car-sharing service. (Coupled with moving into a slightly more transit friendly area).

At the moment, my office is 35 miles away and not transit friendly. It would require using 4 different transit agencies, and a commuter shuttle to my office to get there. Total time on transit, about 2 hours each way. For half of the trip I would be standing, walking or waiting so I can't justify it as working time. The drive is about 2 hours round trip in traffic, but I try to avoid it.

I do use transit when it is a convenient choice. I live about 3/4 of a mile from a commercial district with an independednt grocery store, restaurants, drugstore, dry cleaner... so I try to walk over there.

I live about 1 mile from Downtown, and my gym is located there. I try to walk or take the bus for the 1.25 miles to my gym. The gym doesn't have a parking lot, and there are only paid lots or metered parking. They only validate the paid lots before 8am or after 6pm. The metered lots range from 1-2 hours max and it is $2 an hour. If I hop on the bus (it leaves across the street from my house) it only takes 3-5 more minutes than my drive would, and I save time on parking. The bus lets out about 1 block from the gym. Walking home from the gym is uphill with increasing steepness, so if I have enough time I walk one way.

I think most people can choose to incorporate more walking to errands. Going to main street, parking once and walking to the rest of the errands is doable for most people, but we have become accustomed to VIP parking at the front door of every establishment, so even walking a block for an errand seems inconvenience.

Old 09-30-2011, 06:00 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,890,487 times
Quote:
I live in Seattle and I am currently not using a car at all to get around. Seattle does not exactly have the best public transportation, yet I have still managed to live without one. It does help that I live in the Downtown area. Anyway, my question is, how come so many people have cars if so many people that have cars don't really need them and can live a perfectly happy life without them? Also, how much better would our air quality and environment be if many people quit driving so much? How much money would people save? How much healthier would they be by doing more walking? How much would the oil companies be affected? I guess it be a huge chain reaction.
The simple fact is, most of America just isn't set up to live comfortably car free. If you can, it's nice, but most people in most places cannot do it. It's not even an option for most.

Last edited by WhipperSnapper 88; 09-30-2011 at 06:15 PM..

Old 09-30-2011, 07:04 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,987,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
The simple fact is, most of America just isn't set up to live comfortably car free. If you can, it's nice, but most people in most places cannot do it. It's not even an option for most.
That can be corrected with better public policy.

Old 09-30-2011, 07:12 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,890,487 times
Sure it CAN be corrected, but will it? With the economy on the downturn, public transit is falling lower and lower on the priority list. You would think it would have the iopposit effect though. I think true change could come from making the public demand change but people are just not ready to let go of their cars.

Old 09-30-2011, 07:22 PM

2,202 posts, read 4,325,639 times
Quote:
I don't accept the premise that "so many people have cars...don't need them...and can live a perfectly happly life without them". Do you know of a respectable survey that came to that conclusion?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living