U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 03:59 PM

21,093 posts, read 23,918,022 times

Advertisements

I am sure the alumni are familiar with the notion those who do not remember history are doomed to repeat it. So I offer up this little tasty NON GMO morsel to remind us all where GMOs have come from--

Though many of the US Government’s own scientific advisers were concerned over findings showing possible negative health effects, the US approved the GM tomato and decided that GM foods in general would not requirement pre-market approval in the US. There were other problems: Calgene made major management mistakes; it was subject to heavy legal pressure from Monsanto; and the GM tomatoes were even more bland than conventional fruit. The tomatoes were only ever sold in a small number of outlets in California and the Mid-West, and then rapidly withdrawn.

More on the HISTORY LESSON can be found here

Old 03-18-2012, 09:10 AM

6,530 posts, read 6,463,148 times
The lesson I take from that is that the public is concerned with taste not GMO.

Old 03-18-2012, 09:37 AM

7,492 posts, read 6,478,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
According to recent USDA estimates, 55% of soybeans, 35% of corn crops, 80% of processed foods, and 60-75% of nonorganic food in US supermarkets are genetically modified.
Sadly, what is done cannot be undone. Genetically modified plants co-mingle with the unmodified via the pollination process, and affect the resulting new products. Alfalfa and corn are the widest spread disasters, because they are pollinated by air flows. Alfalfa is reseeded the same way, so a GMO field can easily spread across the country with no one's knowledge -- affecting all grazing stock, whether or not their fields have been certified organic. It is a favored food source for grazers.

I think all farmers should turn against the seed suppliers pushing their GMO stock -- Monsanto is particularly onerous in its practices, IMO.

Personally, since I am also disturbed about the abundance and quality of factory packaging, I believe all consumers should adopt the practice of buying organic in bulk, and preparing their own meals. I've been doing this for years, with few exceptions and once one learns to plan ahead it just isn't that challenging.

Old 03-18-2012, 10:52 AM

It may never be undone. The GMO mutant crops appear to be dominate over heirloom varieties. GMO producers continue to wage war against those whose crops have been transgenically mutated via pollination.

Butthe lesson continues to be revealed--

If Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs) are perfectly safe, why are scientists who investigate them routinely harassed? Over at Natural Food List, Jeffrey M. Smith of The Institute For Responsible Technology has assembled a discouraging list of scientists and researchers who have been attacked, threatened, and worse – just for looking into the safety of the genetically modified food that millions of Americans eat every day.
Source: Red Green & Blue (Monsanto blocks research on GMO safety)

RESPONSIBLE TECHNOLOGY

NATURAL FOOD LIST

Old 03-20-2012, 03:29 AM

Sometimes not having all the information is enough to draw a reasonable conclusion. Since GMO producers seem to have a patent on life, it seems certain that labeling products containing GMOs will not reveal any national security secrets nor will it be publishing any dirty GMO secrets--though it would be nice if they did.
We are finding out just how dangerous GMOs can be, we do not need to know what is being genetically altered with what toxin, we just want to know which FOODS we are eating / buying that contain the toxic GMOs.

The journal Current Microbiology has just released a report (1) on a substance called Glyphosate, created by Monsanto in the 1970s and used in Roundup. The report is shocking. It reveals that studies prove that Glyphosate is altering and destroying the micro-organisms in the soil, which has a potential effect upon the health of crops growing in it.

Monsanto and Genetically Modified Crops - Is there a cover-up?

Old 03-20-2012, 10:44 AM

20,852 posts, read 35,964,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George View Post
It's higher than that. But here's the key: They're called HYBRIDS, and have been being planted for decades.
Ya, I have food allergies now that I never had in the past and I strongly suspect GMO foods. I have massive reactions to soy, never happened in the past. The same is true with wheat.

Old 03-20-2012, 10:45 AM

20,852 posts, read 35,964,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
The lesson I take from that is that the public is concerned with taste not GMO.
The public is complacent, lazy, and doesn't have a clue about agriculture or where their food is grown. That is the substance of the problem

Old 03-20-2012, 02:16 PM

5,065 posts, read 13,756,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Ya, I have food allergies now that I never had in the past and I strongly suspect GMO foods. I have massive reactions to soy, never happened in the past.
Same here, plus I also developed an allergy to peanuts. Our nation's food supply is all kinds of messed up, but few seem to care, so it may be decades before anything is done about it. Which by then will probably be too late.

Old 03-20-2012, 03:32 PM

2,737 posts, read 4,346,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Ya, I have food allergies now that I never had in the past and I strongly suspect GMO foods. I have massive reactions to soy, never happened in the past. The same is true with wheat.
You automatically suspect GMO foods? What kind of logic is that?

When I was in my 20s, I suddenly developed severe reactions to Penicillin. You want to know what I suspect? Ronald Reagan! He was President part of the time I was in my 20s, so I suspect it's his fault.

Old 03-20-2012, 07:22 PM

15,924 posts, read 17,423,331 times
I realized my headaches were after eating chocolate ice cream, my immediate thought was GMO cocoa beans...

Couldn't possibly be anything else....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or