U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 03-20-2012, 07:41 PM
 
Location: On the brink of WWIII
21,093 posts, read 23,951,381 times
Reputation: 7812

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George View Post
It's higher than that. But here's the key: They're called HYBRIDS, and have been being planted for decades.
Genetically Modified Organisms (GMO) are organisms with manipulated genes to introduce new, or alter existing, characteristics, or produce a new protein or enzyme. Genetic modification is used to increase the yield or quality of various crops.

Hybrid "
Hybrid (hī'brĭd) is a term applied by plant and animal breeders to the offspring of a cross between two different subspecies or species, and by geneticists to the offspring of parents differing in any genetic characteristic (see genetics). The mule, the hybrid steer, and hybrid corn are examples of hybrids produced by breeders, but some animal species may cross-breed in the wild, as the gray wolf and coyote sometimes do. Hybridization between cultivars or varieties is often used in agriculture to obtain greater vigor or growth (heterosis). Hybrid vigor is achieved by crossing two inbred strains (see breeding). The first generation shows greatly increased vigor and a better yield primarily because many genes for recessive, often deleterious, traits from one parent are masked by corresponding dominant genes in the other parent.

Generally GMOs are created for a different purpose like production of certain enzymes secreted by animal organs in the plants by manipulating and inserting the genetic material of animal source in to the plant cells or animal cells. Here mainly the biochemical properties are changed because of gene addition where as in hybrid formation the inferior genes are kept out by selectiong the dominant genes and that results in super type of the animal or plant.

Hybrids do occur naturally also. Whereas GMOs are totally human created and do not occur naturally.

Some year back a sheep "Dolly" was genetically modified to secrete the antibodies in her milk which are never found in natural sheep milk.

 
Old 03-21-2012, 12:37 PM
 
26,945 posts, read 19,141,741 times
Reputation: 14394
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Sometimes not having all the information is enough to draw a reasonable conclusion. Since GMO producers seem to have a patent on life, it seems certain that labeling products containing GMOs will not reveal any national security secrets nor will it be publishing any dirty GMO secrets--though it would be nice if they did.
We are finding out just how dangerous GMOs can be, we do not need to know what is being genetically altered with what toxin, we just want to know which FOODS we are eating / buying that contain the toxic GMOs.


The journal Current Microbiology has just released a report (1) on a substance called Glyphosate, created by Monsanto in the 1970s and used in Roundup. The report is shocking. It reveals that studies prove that Glyphosate is altering and destroying the micro-organisms in the soil, which has a potential effect upon the health of crops growing in it.

Monsanto and Genetically Modified Crops - Is there a cover-up?
lol @ pravda.ru. really?

i have carefully read that entire paper. have you?

of course you haven't, or you'd know that the experiment didn't even involve so much as a particle of soil. in the equivalent of an 8th grade level science project, they plated out three different food-associated bacteria [with no documented contributions whatsoever to soil fertility] onto artificial media, then dosed them with roundup and glyphosate.
and glyphosate had no effect on them whatsoever.

from this absolutely hysterical article whose original source is [surprise, surprise!] natural news-
Quote:
So devastating are the effects, according to the report, that some bacteria have disappeared from certain areas where Roundup was used to spray vast areas of land and apart from this, use of the product has spurred the appearance of superweeds, meaning that in turn farmers have to use greater and greater concentrations of the product. The soil is as a result being rendered barren for future generations.
absolutely, uncategorically FALSE.
read the paper. no mention whatsoever of 'disappearances of some bacteria from certain areas.' nothing whatsoever about soil being 'rendered barren.'


Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Ya, I have food allergies now that I never had in the past and I strongly suspect GMO foods. I have massive reactions to soy, never happened in the past. The same is true with wheat.
the fact that you have such reactions with wheat should be enough for you to throw your rather ridiculous hypothesis right out the window, because no wheat products you buy in the USA are genetically modified.
 
Old 03-21-2012, 12:39 PM
 
35,108 posts, read 40,336,188 times
Reputation: 62062
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
According to recent USDA estimates, 55% of soybeans, 35% of corn crops, 80% of processed foods, and 60-75% of nonorganic food in US supermarkets are genetically modified. With the firm support of US “regulatory” agencies, genetically modified corn, soybeans, tomatoes, potatoes, squash, cotton, and dozens of other crops have been planted across one fourth of US cropland, brought to supermarkets unlabelled, and imported to other countries. Four dozen genetically modified foods cultivated over 90 million acres of land turn up in a wide array of items, from tofu to tortillas, from canola oil to corn chips, from potatoes to protein powder, from breads to beer, and from syrups to salad dressings. And none are labeled as genetically altered for, according to FDA, this would be “alarmist,” “impractical,” and “confusing” to the consumer since they declared GMFs safe. This violates their own policy which requires that substances added to foods be identified and which prohibits “false or misleading” labeling.

Revisiting The Island of Dr. Moreau via the Campus of Dr. Jentsch and the UCLA

If you say no to GMO you won't be eating a whole lot of anything besides GMO has been around for 20+ years and it has been in the food you eat for that long as well, this is NOT a news flash.
 
Old 03-21-2012, 12:41 PM
 
35,108 posts, read 40,336,188 times
Reputation: 62062
the fact that you have such reactions with wheat should be enough for you to throw your rather ridiculous hypothesis right out the window, because no wheat products you buy in the USA are genetically modified.[/quote]

You haven't talked to any farmers for a while huh?
 
Old 03-21-2012, 12:45 PM
 
26,945 posts, read 19,141,741 times
Reputation: 14394
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Some year back a sheep "Dolly" was genetically modified to secrete the antibodies in her milk which are never found in natural sheep milk.
dolly was the first cloned mammal. she was not genetically modified in any way.
 
Old 03-21-2012, 12:46 PM
 
26,945 posts, read 19,141,741 times
Reputation: 14394
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
You haven't talked to any farmers for a while huh?
i talked to several just yesterday, and one again this morning. why do you ask?
 
Old 03-21-2012, 02:36 PM
 
2,737 posts, read 4,355,342 times
Reputation: 1785
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
the fact that you have such reactions with wheat should be enough for you to throw your rather ridiculous hypothesis right out the window, because no wheat products you buy in the USA are genetically modified.
The guy needs to look into Celiac Disease!
 
Old 03-21-2012, 02:37 PM
 
2,737 posts, read 4,355,342 times
Reputation: 1785
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
You haven't talked to any farmers for a while huh?
My 76-year old dad is a "I refuse to retire" farmer. He & I were visiting about this stuff just the other day. All he does is roll his eyes & laugh.
 
Old 03-21-2012, 03:59 PM
 
26,945 posts, read 19,141,741 times
Reputation: 14394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George View Post
The guy needs to look into Celiac Disease!
it couldn't help but be a better candidate for his problem than non-existent GM wheat
 
Old 03-22-2012, 07:59 AM
 
26,945 posts, read 19,141,741 times
Reputation: 14394
i wish CSD610 would come back. i'm anxious to know what i'm supposed to have learned about GM wheat from talking to farmers...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:58 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top