U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 03-22-2012, 08:33 AM
 
2,737 posts, read 4,338,586 times
Reputation: 1785

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
i wish CSD610 would come back. i'm anxious to know what i'm supposed to have learned about GM wheat from talking to farmers...
You mean farmers like my dad, all his neighbors, and virtually everybody in my family?

I was visiting with DaddyO about this the other night. He just rolls his eyes, laughs, and says that the common denominator among all these "Anti GMO Experts" is that they all live in cities & know nothing about agriculture.

 
Old 03-22-2012, 10:14 AM
 
Location: WA
4,246 posts, read 7,836,917 times
Reputation: 2364
I don't think GMO's are inherently evil. But agricultural is sure making a mess of it. Let's compare.

Genetic Engineering in medicine: Inserting the human insulin gene into a bacteria. Bacteria then produces a buttload of insulin. What an easy and inexpensive way to make medicine for millions of people suffering from diabetes! Cool beans.

Gene therapy: Hey, maybe if we shoot these healthy genes into people with Cystic Fibrosis, it will alleviate their symptoms! Awesome!

Genetically engineered pets: Oh cool. If we insert a jellyfish gene into these goldfish, they glow in the dark. What a cool novelty item that might get kids interested in Biology.

Genetically engineered crops: Let's make a crop that will allow us to sell MORE CHEMICALS! Then farmers will have to buy our seeds every year and gallons of our herbicides. We'll make BILLIONS! While we're at it, we'll sue the farmers next door because the pollen has contaminated their crops: they are obviously crooks who are stealing the genes. We'll use the profits to lobby Congress to stop GMO labeling and perpetuate the current farm bill, which is costly to the nation's environmental and human health. I know, I know, we could've instead created drought tolerant crops, which would be pretty useful to all these developing nations who are running out of water. But where's the money in that?

So in conclusion, Genetic Engineering in medicine=KINDA COOL. Genetic Engineering in agriculture = EPIC FAIL.
 
Old 03-22-2012, 11:31 AM
 
2,737 posts, read 4,338,586 times
Reputation: 1785
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
I don't think GMO's are inherently evil. But agricultural is sure making a mess of it. Let's compare.

Genetic Engineering in medicine: Inserting the human insulin gene into a bacteria. Bacteria then produces a buttload of insulin. What an easy and inexpensive way to make medicine for millions of people suffering from diabetes! Cool beans.

Gene therapy: Hey, maybe if we shoot these healthy genes into people with Cystic Fibrosis, it will alleviate their symptoms! Awesome!

Genetically engineered pets: Oh cool. If we insert a jellyfish gene into these goldfish, they glow in the dark. What a cool novelty item that might get kids interested in Biology.

Genetically engineered crops: Let's make a crop that will allow us to sell MORE CHEMICALS! Then farmers will have to buy our seeds every year and gallons of our herbicides. We'll make BILLIONS! While we're at it, we'll sue the farmers next door because the pollen has contaminated their crops: they are obviously crooks who are stealing the genes. We'll use the profits to lobby Congress to stop GMO labeling and perpetuate the current farm bill, which is costly to the nation's environmental and human health. I know, I know, we could've instead created drought tolerant crops, which would be pretty useful to all these developing nations who are running out of water. But where's the money in that?

So in conclusion, Genetic Engineering in medicine=KINDA COOL. Genetic Engineering in agriculture = EPIC FAIL.
This is actually just silly and pointless.
 
Old 03-22-2012, 11:49 AM
 
26,549 posts, read 19,016,439 times
Reputation: 14206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George View Post
You mean farmers like my dad, all his neighbors, and virtually everybody in my family?

I was visiting with DaddyO about this the other night. He just rolls his eyes, laughs, and says that the common denominator among all these "Anti GMO Experts" is that they all live in cities & know nothing about agriculture.
naw, he'd probably tell me your dad is some sort of heretic
he seems to be under the impression that GM wheat is actually approved and grown in this country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
I don't think GMO's are inherently evil. But agricultural is sure making a mess of it. Let's compare.

Genetic Engineering in medicine: Inserting the human insulin gene into a bacteria. Bacteria then produces a buttload of insulin. What an easy and inexpensive way to make medicine for millions of people suffering from diabetes! Cool beans.

Gene therapy: Hey, maybe if we shoot these healthy genes into people with Cystic Fibrosis, it will alleviate their symptoms! Awesome!

Genetically engineered pets: Oh cool. If we insert a jellyfish gene into these goldfish, they glow in the dark. What a cool novelty item that might get kids interested in Biology.

Genetically engineered crops: Let's make a crop that will allow us to sell MORE CHEMICALS! Then farmers will have to buy our seeds every year and gallons of our herbicides. We'll make BILLIONS! While we're at it, we'll sue the farmers next door because the pollen has contaminated their crops: they are obviously crooks who are stealing the genes. We'll use the profits to lobby Congress to stop GMO labeling and perpetuate the current farm bill, which is costly to the nation's environmental and human health. I know, I know, we could've instead created drought tolerant crops, which would be pretty useful to all these developing nations who are running out of water. But where's the money in that?
So in conclusion, Genetic Engineering in medicine=KINDA COOL. Genetic Engineering in agriculture = EPIC FAIL.
the problem with this is, when they do exactly that, the anti-GM crowd is still screeching to beat the band. see thread:
Monsanto Corn gets trial approval by USDA!

another nifty plant in the pipeline is GM soy that makes omega-3 fatty acids that you can otherwise only get from eating fish.
do you really think the anti-GM crowd is going to welcome that with open arms?

http://www.newscientist.com/article/...fe-to-eat.html
 
Old 03-22-2012, 02:22 PM
 
Location: On the brink of WWIII
21,093 posts, read 23,892,293 times
Reputation: 7812
Get ready folks...several huge chemical corporations are preparing to roll out some really yummy 2,D-4 infected foods. So we don't have to try and appreciate what our troops were exposed to in Vietnam, we will soon be exposed to very similar DIOXINS in our very own food supply.
Though it will not be used for defoliation, it will be ingested via GMOs if we continue to allow the corporations to act like they have more rights than we the people.

Dioxin is a known human carcinogen. Dioxin also causes a wide range of adverse non-cancer effects including reproductive, developmental, immunological, and endocrine effects in both animals and humans.


Remember, the USA is the ONLY industrial country to allow GMOs unchecked access to our food supply.
Peru just issued a 10 year moratorium BANNING ALL GMOs.

CHINA has banned GMOs
RUSSIA has as well.

Tell the UNITED STATES to stop GMOs--at the very least to label products containing GMOs.

The people are responsible for getting the PINK SLIME pulled from our food supply--we can do the same with GMOs if we all stand with one voice.

WE HAVE THE RIGHT TO KNOW ABOUT DIOXINS IN OUR FOOD
 
Old 03-22-2012, 03:11 PM
 
26,549 posts, read 19,016,439 times
Reputation: 14206
oh lord. here comes zthatz again, ignoring all comments but plowing blindly on

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Get ready folks...several huge chemical corporations are preparing to roll out some really yummy 2,D-4 infected foods.
you clearly have no idea what 'infected' means.

Quote:
So we don't have to try and appreciate what our troops were exposed to in Vietnam, we will soon be exposed to very similar DIOXINS in our very own food supply.
really? in what amounts?

i've told you repeatedly that 2,4-D is already extensively used on wheat, but you keep on blundering past that useful info.
how much dioxin is present in current formulations of 2,4-D? do you know?

Quote:
Though it will not be used for defoliation, it will be ingested via GMOs if we continue to allow the corporations to act like they have more rights than we the people.
are you saying it's not similarly 'ingested' by the non-GMO wheat that currently gets sprayed with 2,4-D?

Quote:
Dioxin is a known human carcinogen. Dioxin also causes a wide range of adverse non-cancer effects including reproductive, developmental, immunological, and endocrine effects in both animals and humans.
acetaldehyde, benzene, isoprene, and a slew of other chemicals found in roasted coffee are also proven carcinogens.

do you drink coffee?



Quote:
Remember, the USA is the ONLY industrial country to allow GMOs unchecked access to our food supply.
canada's no longer a country?

Quote:
Peru just issued a 10 year moratorium BANNING ALL GMOs.
m'kay...

Quote:
CHINA has banned GMOs
did they?

Origin Agritech Surges on Report China Seed Approval Near - Businessweek

China Should Accelerate Use of Gene-Altered Crops, Government Adviser Says - Bloomberg

Quote:
RUSSIA has as well.
did they?

 
Old 03-22-2012, 06:32 PM
 
26,549 posts, read 19,016,439 times
Reputation: 14206
personally, if my posts were debunked over and over and over again, and had so little backing that i simply ignored all the times that said posts were shot down in absolute flames, i would simply give up.

but that's just me...
 
Old 03-22-2012, 06:47 PM
 
Location: WA
4,246 posts, read 7,836,917 times
Reputation: 2364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George View Post
This is actually just silly and pointless.
Once again, another user on this forum calling my posts pointless, silly, useless, etc. Insulting another user is not a valid argument.

This is exactly why you driving so many users away.
 
Old 03-22-2012, 07:38 PM
 
2,737 posts, read 4,338,586 times
Reputation: 1785
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
Once again, another user on this forum calling my posts pointless, silly, useless, etc. Insulting another user is not a valid argument.

This is exactly why you driving so many users away.
Let's go over what you said. I'll even humor you by answering your hyperbole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear
I don't think GMO's are inherently evil. But agricultural is sure making a mess of it. Let's compare.
You make this claim based on what? Are you a farmer? Is yours a multi-generational farm family, that can talk with experience about what it going on?

Genetic Engineering in medicine: Inserting the human insulin gene into a bacteria. Bacteria then produces a buttload of insulin. What an easy and inexpensive way to make medicine for millions of people suffering from diabetes! Cool beans.
So... Applied science is a really good thing when it's something you agree with - but at the same time is something you don't know too much about. Gotcha.

Gene therapy: Hey, maybe if we shoot these healthy genes into people with Cystic Fibrosis, it will alleviate their symptoms! Awesome!
Really? So injecting non-natural genes into people is okay? Human guinea pigs anyone?

Genetically engineered pets: Oh cool. If we insert a jellyfish gene into these goldfish, they glow in the dark. What a cool novelty item that might get kids interested in Biology.
Yeah, right...

Genetically engineered crops: Let's make a crop that will allow us to sell MORE CHEMICALS!
WRONG and MORE WRONG! Farmers today use LESS pesticides than ever before!

Then farmers will have to buy our seeds every year and gallons of our herbicides.
IF the farmers choose to do so. IF! Just note that there are a LOT of other seed suppliers, and a LOT of other herbicide suppliers. It's called CHOICE.

We'll make BILLIONS! While we're at it, we'll sue the farmers next door because the pollen has contaminated their crops: they are obviously crooks who are stealing the genes.
Partially true, but too much falsehood. In the case of the ONE FARMER IN CANADA, he WAS a thief and shyster - his neighbors even said so.

We'll use the profits to lobby Congress to stop GMO labeling and perpetuate the current farm bill, which is costly to the nation's environmental and human health.
Monsanto is ONE COMPANY who does this. ONE OF HUNDREDS. Is it good and admirable? No. Is it only Monsanto doing it? NO!

I know, I know, we could've instead created drought tolerant crops, which would be pretty useful to all these developing nations who are running out of water. But where's the money in that?
Drought Resistant Crops HAVE been developed! So too have Pest Resistant Crops. And the companies that have developed them have made money - which is what companies are in business to do. Voila!


So in conclusion, Genetic Engineering in medicine=KINDA COOL. Genetic Engineering in agriculture = EPIC FAIL.
WRONG. Too simplistic, uninformed, and blindly biased.
Now... Care to prove me wrong?
 
Old 03-22-2012, 09:02 PM
 
Location: WA
4,246 posts, read 7,836,917 times
Reputation: 2364
Yes. In fact, I do it every semester. Takes about a week of lectures to cover Genetic Engineering: how it works, ethical implications, etc. So it's not something I can easily do in a forum post. I've stated my opinion, you've managed to disagree with it without insulting me (well, almost. You still have to work on that). I'd say we're at a good place right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top