U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 09:51 PM

26,251 posts, read 18,906,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
Once again, another user on this forum calling my posts pointless, silly, useless, etc. Insulting another user is not a valid argument.

This is exactly why you driving so many users away.
when these users steadfastly refuse to debate any of the arguments raised to their posts, what option does one have, realistically?

Old 03-22-2012, 10:07 PM

4,246 posts, read 7,823,639 times
I'm not sure how I'm supposed to debate a user that first calls my post silly and pointless, and then just tells me its WRONG WRONG WRONG. It's like staying in an abusive relationship.

Old 03-22-2012, 10:11 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure how I'm supposed to debate a user that first calls my post silly and pointless, and then just tells me its WRONG WRONG WRONG. It's like staying in an abusive relationship.
all right, that is fair enough. i would welcome a point-by-point discussion of this topic; i have yet to get it.

why don't you and i debate this topic? i promise to do my best to be civil.

i already responded to your earlier post, but got nothing back.

Old 03-22-2012, 10:38 PM

Well, you actually made valid points. The GM business has pretty much ruined their reputation in the US/Canada. But is the main market of GM crops that are fortified or drought tolerant the United States?

People in the US are in an uproar about GM crops being currently in their food. I think there's a much smaller outcry against GM research in and of itself (just from the greenhouse-burning types). So we develop these crops designed to help the malnourished and...then what? No, I mean, I actually don't know what happens then. Because there's no economic incentive for ConAgra or Monsanto to sell seeds to people who can't afford them in Africa.

Old 03-22-2012, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Well, you actually made valid points. The GM business has pretty much ruined their reputation in the US/Canada. But is the main market of GM crops that are fortified or drought tolerant the United States?

People in the US are in an uproar about GM crops being currently in their food. I think there's a much smaller outcry against GM research in and of itself (just from the greenhouse-burning types). So we develop these crops designed to help the malnourished and...then what? No, I mean, I actually don't know what happens then. Because there's no economic incentive for ConAgra or Monsanto to sell seeds to people who can't afford them in Africa.
they have only 'ruined' their reputation amongst those who are already vehemently against any kind of GM plants, period. most people just don't care. even you - who are in the top tier of non-hysterical anti-GM reactionaries, as far as i have seen - cannot seem to admit that drought-tolerant and value-added GM crops might be a good thing, once reminded of their actual existence. correct me if i have this wrong.

companies are in business for one thing: to make money. they cannot exist otherwise.
knowingly hurting their clientele is something only stupid people would do - and i can guarantee you this - these folks are not stupid.

unfortunately, the vast majority of the anti-GM faction gorges upon, and regurgitates, only what they read on the most hysterically non-scientific websites one could possibly come up with, filled with histrionics and outright lies. see post #32 in this thread for example. i have shot down these lies over and over, but am ignored.

quite honestly, it is virtually impossible to debate this topic from the non-hysterically anti-GM POV: every scientific, factual point that i make is ignored. instead, the opposition posts hysterical link after hysterical claim, followed by hysterical point after hysterical link. completely ignoring any corrections or criticisms that i make.

mind you, some of these links actually do contain small bits of factual and important criticisms against GM crops. i try to adress these points. what do i get in return?

more links from natural news, pravda.ru, and alex jones & co.

Old 03-22-2012, 11:25 PM

No, I admit that drought tolerant and nutrient-added GM crops would be good things. Like I was saying, I'm not against the technology itself: it's been useful in medicine. I don't just don't these crops are necessary in the US right now. They would be much more helpful in countries with desertified farmland and malnourished people. But we're not using the technology to help those people. As far as I can see, the current strains of GM soybeans and GM corn aren't helping anyone. So that's what I see as a big shame.

I see your frustration. There's ridiculous posts on both sides. I'm not sure how you guys can stand it.

Old 03-23-2012, 03:34 AM

21,094 posts, read 23,822,000 times
When people are given a chance to present their concerns, there really is only one decision that makes sense--

The legislature's Environment Committee voted 23-6 to approve the measure, allowing supporters to prevail over opponents who said the measure would lead to higher packaging costs.

GMO Labeling Law Wins Backing In Connecticut

Old 03-23-2012, 07:22 AM

2,737 posts, read 4,320,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
When people are given a chance to present their concerns, there really is only one decision that makes sense--

The legislature's Environment Committee voted 23-6 to approve the measure, allowing supporters to prevail over opponents who said the measure would lead to higher packaging costs.

GMO Labeling Law Wins Backing In Connecticut
Laws like that are ridiculous. They don't specify and say anything. They're about politicians being politicians. Nothing more.

Old 03-23-2012, 02:10 PM

21,094 posts, read 23,822,000 times
Why did Canada find bovine growth hormone dangerous and unhealthy?

Steve Wilson told the truth

Old 03-23-2012, 03:17 PM

4,729 posts, read 8,613,009 times
Closing this thread because it has been hi-jacked into a personal argument and devolved into personal attacks.

If you wish to debate an issue, you must follow proper debating protocol. To include staying on topic, being respectful of your opponent, and addressing points and counterpoints. The object of a debate is to present a logical argument in order to convince or persuade the audience, not your opponent. Once you have lost your audience, and have resorted to insults and ad hominems, you have lost the debate and are simply bickering. Continued quarreling is disruptive and considered trolling, which is not tolerated on City-Data.

Terms of Service

Quote:
Be civil, no personal attacks, flaming, or insults. We may attack ideas (politely) but we do not attack the speaker of the idea. Be careful with your words, there is a point where being direct crosses a line into blunt, in-your-face hostility. Please, report bad posts instead of engaging in flame wars on the boards. Insulting another member or a moderator will not be tolerated anywhere on this website. This includes Direct Messages and Reputation Comments.

If you disagree with something, say so, but explain WHY.

Stay on topic. Attempts to hi-jack threads by switching topics or going off topic will be deleted and infractions issued. This is not a chat room - when people hi-jack threads by posting messages that are of interest to only few people, the threads often stop being useful discussions of initial topics.

Hate speech, racism or bashing of ANY sort will NOT be tolerated. Rude posts will be removed and infractions issued. Do not quote or talk to trolls or your posts will also be deleted. Use the report feature instead.

"Trolling" is prohibited.

Threads dealing with controversial topics that often degenerate into flame wars, such as politics or religion, may be moved, closed, or deleted by moderators at their discretion without any warning to the participants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or