U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 03:27 AM

4,980 posts, read 8,446,694 times

Advertisements

According to recent USDA estimates, 55% of soybeans, 35% of corn crops, 80% of processed foods, and 60-75% of nonorganic food in US supermarkets are genetically modified. With the firm support of US “regulatory” agencies, genetically modified corn, soybeans, tomatoes, potatoes, squash, cotton, and dozens of other crops have been planted across one fourth of US cropland, brought to supermarkets unlabelled, and imported to other countries. Four dozen genetically modified foods cultivated over 90 million acres of land turn up in a wide array of items, from tofu to tortillas, from canola oil to corn chips, from potatoes to protein powder, from breads to beer, and from syrups to salad dressings. And none are labeled as genetically altered for, according to FDA, this would be “alarmist,” “impractical,” and “confusing” to the consumer since they declared GMFs safe. This violates their own policy which requires that substances added to foods be identified and which prohibits “false or misleading” labeling.

Revisiting The Island of Dr. Moreau via the Campus of Dr. Jentsch and the UCLA

Old 09-04-2011, 11:30 AM

6,530 posts, read 6,474,719 times
No more bananas.

Old 09-04-2011, 11:43 AM

1,337 posts, read 1,234,099 times
I'd rather farmers voluntarily said no to terminator seeds (GURT) as well as T-GURT (e.g. plants that have been engineered to not grow properly if they are not exposed regularly to very specific patented compounds such as proprietary fertilizers, weed killers, and other sprays.... which no doubt will be pricey), more so that genetic modification as a whole.

Open-source genetic modification, yes.

Proprietary and patented genetic modification, I think farmers should be skeptical, and use such technology very judiciously.

Old 09-05-2011, 07:27 AM

30,721 posts, read 49,520,236 times
Some nations have forbidden the import of GMO, which has a greater effect.

So far in the USA nothing is slowing the spread of GMO.

On another forum, I debate with farmers who use Monsanto seed. They fight very hard to defend their use of GMO crops. Hoping that one day GMO crops will out-produce organic crops. But so far it is mostly about saving money by using less pesticides.

Old 09-05-2011, 08:32 AM

5,090 posts, read 9,856,854 times
Hey Forest B-K. Real World question.

I have a whole herd of bees in one of the pontoons of one our old "parts" Hobie Cats.

They seem to be doing well.

They look like Italians (I had a hive as a youngster, over 30 years ago)

Do I need to be (bee ) concerned if they have gone "Africanized," or is that now a passing issue?

I need to move the boat about five miles, and just wanted to get them set up and live in the side yard at the new place.

It looks like they go quiet at night, and I could slip a garbage bag over the back-end of the pontoon, and duct tape it down, so I can move them. Figured I would get the old boat parked in the new place and then cut open the bag.

Is this an ok or a crazy, crazy thing?

Old 09-05-2011, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
Hey Forest B-K. Real World question.

I have a whole herd of bees in one of the pontoons of one our old "parts" Hobie Cats.

They seem to be doing well.

They look like Italians (I had a hive as a youngster, over 30 years ago)

Do I need to be (bee ) concerned if they have gone "Africanized," or is that now a passing issue?

I need to move the boat about five miles, and just wanted to get them set up and live in the side yard at the new place.

It looks like they go quiet at night, and I could slip a garbage bag over the back-end of the pontoon, and duct tape it down, so I can move them. Figured I would get the old boat parked in the new place and then cut open the bag.

Is this an ok or a crazy, crazy thing?
As I understand what you are saying. A colony has settled in a pontoon. You wish to move the pontoon to relocate, and leave the colony inside the pontoon.

Yes, you can do that, no problem.

I have not seen anyone here with any issues from 'African' bees.

You will never be able to harvest the honey from this pontoon. But they will help pollination in the area, and they may split each season.

In the new location I would set some form of catch basin to hold rain water within 10 foot of the pontoon opening. Put a strip of old window screen dipping into the basin [so the bees have a ramp they can climb in and out of the water]. And next to this basin set a new bee hive. So the entrance of the new hive faces the basin.

In this manner, the next time the colony splits, you have a 50/50 chance that the next generation bees may settle into the hive. Thus allowing you to harvest honey.

Old 09-05-2011, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
As I understand what you are saying. A colony has settled in a pontoon. You wish to move the pontoon to relocate, and leave the colony inside the pontoon.

Yes, you can do that, no problem.

I have not seen anyone here with any issues from 'African' bees.

You will never be able to harvest the honey from this pontoon. But they will help pollination in the area, and they may split each season.

In the new location I would set some form of catch basin to hold rain water within 10 foot of the pontoon opening. Put a strip of old window screen dipping into the basin [so the bees have a ramp they can climb in and out of the water]. And next to this basin set a new bee hive. So the entrance of the new hive faces the basin.

In this manner, the next time the colony splits, you have a 50/50 chance that the next generation bees may settle into the hive. Thus allowing you to harvest honey.
Well, thank you much.

Will move them tonight.

Photos (hopefully NOT of me being stung) shall follow.

Old 09-05-2011, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Well, thank you much.

Will move them tonight.

Photos (hopefully NOT of me being stung) shall follow.

The method you explained should be fine without need to smoke the bees.

As to the OP; GMO is considered by many to be one of the various factors that has been effecting honeybee health of late.

GMO pollen has been shown to change the genetics of gut flora, with no real testing to date we can not say for sure if the GMO gut flora has a negative effect on bees or people.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:14 AM

Ok. Moved the bees and boat this morning before dawn.

It was cool -- mid 50's -- has been over 100 every day -- so they were all tucked in and asleep. They had been "sleeping" out on the back of the boat in a pile during the hot nights. This morning, just one peeked out and ducked back in, so I slipped the bags over, loaded the boat and headed out. Parked them by some cedar/shade trees at the new place.

When I opened the bags about 40 or 50 bees or so were milling about, and when I went back to check about an hour later, it looked like they all went back to bed. Now I am seeing maybe 10 at time coming and going checking out the new neighborhood.

So I should put some water with a ramp out for them? Sounds good, as we have had a really wicked Hot and Dry Summer here in Texas. And then set up a new empty hive for a spin-off herd? Any chance I can get these guys to move over there? Should I also put some sugar / sugar water for them?

The kids seem pretty excited about the whole thing.

Thanks so much again, FBK.

Old 09-06-2011, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Ok. Moved the bees and boat this morning before dawn.

... Thanks so much again, FBK.
Will PM you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or