Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 03:57 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times

Advertisements

Just curious. Would you live in an experimental energy efficient/renewable energy generating community? If yes, would you pay more than the average going price in the area to do it?

The goal is to test new Oak Ridge National Laboratory energy efficient/renewable energy technologies, in this community, over a period of years.

I posted this information on the Tennessee website as a curiosity item (test community) for people who already live in Tennessee but here, since they are going to target baby boomer retirees for marketing, I am curious to find out if many retirees would find this type of experimental community desirable.

The State of Tennessee, the Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA) and the Department of Energy are funding the project and the technology is coming from the Oak Ridge National Laboratory (Department of Energy).

I don't live in Crossville, the nearby location of this community of the future. I actually live in the town of the government lab that is developing the technology, but Crossville is in a pretty location, is known for it's golf courses and is one of the towns that the State of Tennessee touts for retirement. Tennessee, of course, has no state income tax on wages/pensions but taxes interest and dividends.

You can read about this experimental community on this renewable energy website:

Part Two: A Glimpse of the Energy Future

Again, would if living in this type of energy experimental community appeal to you as a retiree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2007, 04:08 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,235,578 times
It would appeal to me as a middle aged working person. Not so sure I would live in TN again, but anything that saves me $$$$ out of my pocket AND has less of an impact on the environment has got to be a better choice. Gotta tell ya, I would not pay $350K for a house, ANYWHERE.

Old 08-17-2007, 05:51 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,479,707 times
Anothe way to market. We now have New Urbanism, simpler times village, and all the other ways that developers are trying to distinquish themselves from the herd. Unless there is something else, this is still a big subdivisision pure and simple, although a higher priced one for Tennessee.

Energy effieciency is great, but a livable/walkable community is even better. So you save on the household energy, to spend all the savings on driving to somewhere.

Old 08-17-2007, 02:25 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
I would, but I wouldn't move somewhere just because of that.

Being from Massachusetts, $350K for a new house sounds normal. I guess my sense of costs has gotten skewed from the median here.

Old 08-17-2007, 07:29 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,955,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Just curious. Would you live in an experimental energy efficient/renewable energy generating community? If yes, would you pay more than the average going price in the area to do it?
No, would not pay more... would be interested when the price is competitive.

Also crossed TENN off my list of retirement states because I think taxing interest and dividends discourages savings and certainly works against my retirement plan.

Old 08-18-2007, 01:01 AM

153 posts, read 685,718 times
No way. Not even at half market value.

Old 08-19-2007, 01:08 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,828,163 times
We looked at somewhat similar communities in New Mexico and in the Bend, Oregon, areas and thought about it, but found that the covenants were a bit too restrictive for us.

I wouldn't move all the way to Tennessee for one.

Old 08-19-2007, 01:15 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,673,848 times
No, I wouldn't pay $350K to live in such a community in Tenn. or anywhere else. I agree with cdelena, taxing interest and dividends does not fit with my financial goals. I am looking for a walkable community to retire to, but Tenn. is not the state I'm interested in.

Old 08-19-2007, 09:18 PM

1,845 posts, read 6,855,329 times
No it's too expensive for Tenn. and I just wouldn't want to spend that much.

Old 08-21-2007, 12:35 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Great idea, but concerns posted are good points;

too expensive capital cost for retirees

probably too restrictive (I would want to do my own passive solar, and bio-fuel genset for backup, and not some expensive, techy, gadget filled show home)

TN is not great for retirees (taxes / climate / services)

needs to be a "walkable community" with full services, and ez commute / mass transit to airports and medical facilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living