Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 09:25 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,194,123 times

Advertisements

Please with the Joe 6-pack huh? Want to refer to people here as tree-huggers or greenie weenies?

Obviously you've not a race car fan and have never been to a cup race, the user experience would be severely degraded if the cars were electric.

Same when it comes to drag racing, nothing replaces the thunder of 8,000+ HP leaving the line...

BTW, cup cars and Indy cars have two radically different engines, you're comparing apples to oranges...

Fuel-wise cup cars use E-15 Ethanol...

The smug superiority attitudes of some here never ceases to amaze me...

Last edited by plwhit; 09-23-2011 at 09:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2011, 09:39 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,544,169 times
Oh, no biggie on the Joe stuff. Just meant Generic Gotta Go To the Races Joe.

Maybe Race Car Enthusiasts? You tell me the preferred term, all fine by me.

A rose by any other name smells the same. Or something like that.

But always, always mine is bigger/better/wtf ever than yours?

So even if the electric beats out whatever fuel burner, it would be a bad thing?

Real Question, there, too.

As far as drag racing, electrics can already take that, right?

Old 09-23-2011, 09:59 AM

Your childish attitude is truly something to behold....

Electric dragsters?

The world's fastest electric dragster does the quarter in:

7.96 seconds, 160.65 MPH

The world's fastest top fuel dragster does the quarter in:

4.44 seconds, 333.08 MPH

Electric dragsters have a long, long ways to go to be competitive....

Old 09-23-2011, 11:04 AM

I hit a search on your term "electric dragster."

There is a whole site and organization around it. Had no idea.

That's fairly interesting -- thanks.

National Electric Drag Racing Association

and their rules/classes >>>

National Electric Drag Racing Association - NEDRA Handbook

Looks like a lot of fairly conventional thinking, so far.

Maybe that is the intent?

I was thinking in the 4000 volt range, with the power of an electrical catapult launch, and wondering if a jockey/driver could survive the run.

Any idea how many G's a liquid fuel dragster places on a driver?

Old 09-23-2011, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
Any idea how many G's a liquid fuel dragster places on a driver?
~ In order to exceed 300 MPH in 4.5 seconds, dragsters must accelerate an average of over 4 G's. In order to reach 200 MPH well before half-track, the launch acceleration approaches 8 G's.

~ One Top Fuel dragster 500 cubic-inch Hemi engine makes more horsepower (8,000 HP) than the first 4 rows of cars at the Daytona 500.

~ A stock Dodge Hemi V8 engine cannot produce enough power to merely drive the dragster's supercharger.

~ Dual magnetos supply 44 amps to each spark plug. This is the output of an arc welder in each cylinder.

~ At the stoichiometric 1.7:1 air/fuel mixture for nitro methane the flame front temperature measures 7050 degrees F.

And........

0 to 100 MPH in .8 seconds (the first 60 feet of the run)

0 to 200 MPH in 2.2 seconds (the first 350 feet of the run)

6 g-forces at the starting line (nothing accelerates faster on land)

6 negative g-forces upon deployment of twin ‘chutes at 300 MPH

An NHRA Top Fuel Dragster accelerates quicker than any other land vehicle on Earth, quicker than a jet fighter plane . . . quicker than the space shuttle.

Quote:
There is a whole site and organization around it. Had no idea.
It doesn't take an idiot to realize you are clueless as to racing and your sarcastic bias against the sport.

Old 09-23-2011, 11:28 AM

Thanks on that.

And to the more general and wider application -- Wiki to rescue -- again.

g-force - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It has some G force guideline numbers and samples in chart near the end.

Help me out here?

So if an Electric Dragster were cranked up to beat a fuel burner that would be a [ good / bad / whocares ] thing to a "Race Car Enthusiast?"

Thanks.

Old 09-23-2011, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
Thanks on that.

And to the more general and wider application -- Wiki to rescue -- again.

g-force - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It has some G force guideline numbers and samples in chart near the end.

Help me out here?

So if an Electric Dragster were cranked up to beat a fuel burner that would be a [ good / bad / whocares ] thing to a "Race Car Enthusiast?"

Thanks.
As you have discovered (oh my!) electric dragsters have been around for quite some time and have their own following, you asking me is really stupid as I don't care for them.

Go provoke a discussion with someone who does and is as ignorant as you when it comes to racing...

BTW, glad to see you have discovered that new search tool called Google and that dubious fountain of knowledge called wiki...

Last edited by plwhit; 09-23-2011 at 01:46 PM..

Old 09-23-2011, 01:13 PM

Just to get green hearts beating faster a top fuel dragster uses between 10 and 12 gallons of nitro-methane for a complete pass (burnout + run is about 1,500 feet or in Prius terms 150 FPG (feet per gallon))...

That equates to 65 gallons a minute which is equivalent to 8 (normal people's) bathroom showers running at the same time full blast...

But since NASCAR has nothing to do with the NHRA this thread has gone way off course....

Last edited by plwhit; 09-23-2011 at 01:48 PM..

Old 09-23-2011, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
As you have discovered (oh my!) electric dragsters have been around for quite some time and have their own following, you asking me is really stupid as I don't care for them.

Go provoke a discussion with someone who does and is as ignorant as you when it comes to racing...
So at least as far as you for a data point, an Electric Dragster (or any other non-ICE race vehicle) EVEN IF it could beat the ICE, would not be a favorable thing?

Sort of like horse folks like horses?

Old 09-23-2011, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
. .. . a top fuel dragster uses between 10 and 12 gallons of nitro-methane . . .
I would think it would not be so big a deal, as overall very little of it used, and it does not come from Oil.

But it does cause brain damage?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living