Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2011, 10:37 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times

Advertisements

Remember how Obama recently waived new ozone regulations at the EPA because they were too costly? Well, it seems that the Obama administration would rather make people with Asthma cough up money than let them make a surely inconsequential contribution to depleting the ozone layer:

Asthma patients who rely on over-the-counter inhalers will need to switch to prescription-only alternatives as part of the federal government's latest attempt to protect the Earth's atmosphere.

Obama Administration Set to Ban Asthma Inhalers Over Environmental Concerns | The Weekly Standard
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2011, 08:27 PM

2,202 posts, read 4,328,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Remember how Obama recently waived new ozone regulations at the EPA because they were too costly? Well, it seems that the Obama administration would rather make people with Asthma cough up money than let them make a surely inconsequential contribution to depleting the ozone layer:

Asthma patients who rely on over-the-counter inhalers will need to switch to prescription-only alternatives as part of the federal government's latest attempt to protect the Earth's atmosphere.

Obama Administration Set to Ban Asthma Inhalers Over Environmental Concerns | The Weekly Standard
This refers to the Montreal Protocol

Montreal Protocol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"In the United States, the Clean Air Act Amendments of 1990 (P.L. 101-549) contain provisions for implementing the Montreal Protocol, as well as explicit, separate authority for the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency‎ to regulate ozone depleting chemicals."

"Ronald Reagan and Margaret Thatcher signed the protocol in 1987."

Old 09-25-2011, 10:01 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,546,851 times
Looks like this has just about zero to do with CFCs and mostly about requiring prescription only (money for the med industry) status.

If poor folks can't afford the inhalers AND the dr. visit to the 'script -- aw f-em.

There is a buck to made.

Old 09-25-2011, 10:18 PM

2 posts, read 3,548 times
This sounds pretty bogus. I use an inhaler for bronchitis, and the company changed the propellant several years ago to a non-CFC one approved by the EPA. If the makers of other inhalers haven't changed yet, that's their own fault.

Old 09-25-2011, 11:56 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,542,940 times
Since people love to blame Obama for everything that happens, I did a little research. Research something in favor of Obama? Unheard of, isn't it? Anyway, check this out.
FDA’s CFC Asthma Inhaler Ban Becomes a “Light Bulb” Issue for Conservatives | BNET
And, since I know most of you will only read what you want to, I'll paste part of it here for you.

What the right isn’t mentioning is that the ban was actually proposed in 1997; it’s only now arrived at the end of the FDA’s rule-making process. The drug industry has had 14 years to figure out how to spray epinephrine into asthmatics’ mouths without destroying the atmosphere. The company that makes Primatene, Armstrong Pharmaceutical, is working on a non-CFC version. It just hasn’t gotten its approvals yet.

Old 09-26-2011, 12:45 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
I'm going to have to agree with the above poster. Can't believe it. But even though I do not like St. Hope and Change, (can't stand him, really), we have to stop this crap of blaming EVERY thing on the president.

I fricken hated it when they did it to Bush, let's NOT do that to Obama. He makes enough of his own f ups without our help.

Old 09-26-2011, 04:02 PM

1,459 posts, read 3,298,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
Since people love to blame Obama for everything that happens, I did a little research. Research something in favor of Obama? Unheard of, isn't it? Anyway, check this out.
FDA’s CFC Asthma Inhaler Ban Becomes a “Light Bulb” Issue for Conservatives | BNET
And, since I know most of you will only read what you want to, I'll paste part of it here for you.

What the right isn’t mentioning is that the ban was actually proposed in 1997; it’s only now arrived at the end of the FDA’s rule-making process. The drug industry has had 14 years to figure out how to spray epinephrine into asthmatics’ mouths without destroying the atmosphere. The company that makes Primatene, Armstrong Pharmaceutical, is working on a non-CFC version. It just hasn’t gotten its approvals yet.

so wait, you are saying that the Right DOES care about the environment?

Old 09-26-2011, 08:39 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,590,988 times
One could shrug off inhalers as "insignificant" but burying 6 billions of human corpses has noticeable effect on phosphorous cycle. And it's not laughing matter, by the end of this century industrial agriculture will run out of the extractable phosphorous deposits. Cemetery "mining" for bone fertilizer happened before, and it's doomed to happen again. It's just that there are many of us. A tiny inhale made by millions of humans no longer can be disregarded as "insignificant".

Old 09-26-2011, 10:54 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,546,851 times
Entire underwater sea shelves of the stuff, from the early sub-sea mineral reports I have read.

Not saying it is good idea -- just saying it is there.

Old 10-02-2011, 10:50 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
Looks like this has just about zero to do with CFCs and mostly about requiring prescription only (money for the med industry) status.

If poor folks can't afford the inhalers AND the dr. visit to the 'script -- aw f-em.

There is a buck to made.
Yep, just another payback to Big Pharma for helping pass Obamacare. Nothing to look at here folks, just the EPA doing the political bidding of the White House.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living