U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 07:10 PM

7,150 posts, read 5,424,944 times

Advertisements

I don't know if I am posting this in the right forum but here is my question.

I bought a Living Social deal for Whole Foods since I thought it was a good deal to save on groceries. Boy was I wrong!!! How can anyone afford their prices unless rich? This is the first time I had ever went to shop there. The parking lot was full so I assumed there were good deals. I knew that they had gluten-free, organic and meat free products, etc. As I walked up and down the aisle I was shocked to see the prices of this stuff. It is about double what regular food costs. Examples include organic syrup at $5.99, boxed pizza at $8.99, bacon at $7.99, blueberry muffins 6 pack $5.49. Wow! I believe it trying to eat healthier but with the prices they have it is pretty hard. Anyone shop at a whole food store with high prices? If so how do you afford to shop there even if you only pick up certain items only? I am trying to figure out how they stay in business especially in this economy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2011, 08:21 PM

807 posts, read 2,514,545 times
Friend of mine calls the place, "Whole Paycheck".

I don't get it either.

Can't shop there even if I wanted to, they have no plans of coming into my market. They wouldn't make it here anyway.

Old 09-28-2011, 11:52 PM

4,891 posts, read 9,305,380 times
Being healthy ain't cheap.
Google them....they aren't all they say.
Fired From Whole Foods Over Trash-Bound Tuna Fish Sandwich

Old 09-29-2011, 12:51 AM

554 posts, read 1,352,560 times
Ironically, this happened to me yesterday! I was running some errands and I thought instead of going to my usual Sunflower Farmers Market, I'd just run in to Whole Foods and grab a head of lettuce or two. I knew they were pricey, but I thought, "how bad could it be?"

I walked in and my mouth hit the floor. I spoke to the guy stocking produce and asked him where the non-organic lettuce was because I wasn't going to pay $2.99/ea for them. He said it didn't exist in that store! I told him that I could buy a week's worth of groceries for $10.00 at Sunflower down the street! He was sympathetic and somewhat agreed with me. I was really in shock when I left that place. I couldn't get out of that parking lot fast enough. IMO, that place is 100% proof to me that ignorant people who love to waste money do exist. And apparently, by the thousands! Because it's a successful chain store!

I agree with the OP on every word. It is unbelievable and shocking that a store like that can thrive. I want to know...who the heck shops there and WHY?! Any reason, that any person can come up with is not good enough to me. I eat very well, very frugally and very healthy compared to most people in America. Everything in that store can be bought for less somewhere else. BTW, I got 4 heads of lettuce (all different kinds) for $.80/each at Sunflower. It was worth the extra mile.

Old 09-29-2011, 06:38 AM

6,530 posts, read 6,463,148 times
Their meat and cheese are top notch. I'm not sure paying their premium for a box of cereal is worth it, but only Costco can beat their meat department.

Old 09-29-2011, 08:58 AM

7,150 posts, read 5,424,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
Their meat and cheese are top notch. I'm not sure paying their premium for a box of cereal is worth it, but only Costco can beat their meat department.
What do you mean by top notch? I don't know too much about organic and natural foods but my doctor told me I should try it because it may lower some of my migraines but goodness it is really expensive.

What is the difference between organic fruits and vegetables and regular ones? Is it the pesticides? How do they control the insect and other foreign things that can get into the organic fruits? Can the fruits and vegetables still get contaminated with things like the Listeria that caused many people to get sick recently. Thanks for the education. I am just wondering is it really worth it to shop there.

Old 09-29-2011, 09:04 AM

27,171 posts, read 29,681,041 times
Shop selectively. The best deals at whole foods are the 365 brand items. I pretty much only buy canned goods and bulk goods at Whole Foods. They are priced inline with even a traditional grocery store. (Canned tomatoes are between .99-$1.50. for example for the regular price). Some frozen staples are pretty well-priced (frozen veggies). I buy some dairy products there since Trader Joe's doesn't carry my locally made milk products. Number one rule, never buy produce at Whole Foods, but look to see if anything is on sale. Occasionally it is the right price, but that's rare.

Whole Foods also puts 1-2 meat products on sale per week and they are generally a good price. (especially the Friday deal). They also have a coupon book. It has very good deals typically.

It isn't my number one store, but I go there for bulk, cans and dairy. Occasionally meat, but it isn't my only shopping spot.

Old 09-29-2011, 09:06 AM

6,530 posts, read 6,463,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singlelady10 View Post
What do you mean by top notch? I don't know too much about organic and natural foods but my doctor told me I should try it because it may lower some of my migraines but goodness it is really expensive.

What is the difference between organic fruits and vegetables and regular ones? Is it the pesticides? How do they control the insect and other foreign things that can get into the organic fruits? Can the fruits and vegetables still get contaminated with things like the Listeria that caused many people to get sick recently. Thanks for the education. I am just wondering is it really worth it to shop there.
The Department of Agriculture runs the organic program. Here's their web site Organic Production and Organic Food: Information Access Tools.

I buy from Whole Foods less from an organic standpoint than just the quality of their meat and cheese which sees quite high to me.

Old 09-29-2011, 09:13 AM

27,171 posts, read 29,681,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singlelady10 View Post
What is the difference between organic fruits and vegetables and regular ones? Is it the pesticides? How do they control the insect and other foreign things that can get into the organic fruits?
Generally this means pesticide free. Some farmers use things like ladybugs to keep the bugs away, or other plants may act as a bug repellent. There are some natural pesticides approved (generally normal food products). There are also some exceptions, for example organic grapes can use sulfur in some cases to repel mold I believe.

If I had to prioritize:
1. local and organic
2. local
3. organic

Some of the organic food is a sham. It is best to get something local because you can ask the farmer about what they use for these things. And local food generally taste better. At mu local farmers market, there are many farms that are transitioning to organics, but it takes 5 years of organic farming to qualify. So someone in the middle of that period is still "organic" without the paperwork. Also, the official organic seal can be really expensive, so many farms can't afford it, even though they are doing the right thing.

Try to go organic for the "dirty dozen." I absolutely notice a taste difference for the items on the list.
The new "dirty dozen" list of produce | Yahoo! Green

I also add carrots to my must buy organic list. They are way better tasting. I generally buy organic milk, but organic yogurt is more rare.

Old 09-29-2011, 09:29 AM

21,368 posts, read 24,115,390 times
Quote:
I don't know too much about organic and natural foods
To make the comparison easier, buy a box of cereal from Whole Foods and buy a similar one from a mainstream market. Compare the ingredients. The WF ingredient list will be much shorter since all the artificial junk will be missing. Choose other items and play match up. You'll find its cheaper to mass produce food with fillers and chemicals. Thus its more expensive to do without them. Remember the word "Natural" is just an advertising gimmick. Iced Tea soda with Lemon has no lemon juice (read the can - it states no juice). But you're sort of right about the expense. The best thing to do is two shops and choose a balance between the two. Do a normal shop for your incidentals at a normal market and also do a Whole Food/Trader Joes shop for the safer foods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living