U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 09:11 PM

4,085 posts, read 6,420,967 times

Advertisements

The OP has an important point that most would not like to acknowledge. We have been led to believe that as individuals we can make a difference. We can, a very little difference, but it makes us feel good and while we are recycling our plastic bags industry is dumping barges at sea, polluting our waterways, and destroying the very air we breath. The OP is making a statement that should open eyes. If you care about plastic bags then you need to be thinking of a massive protest like the 99% with all the people that care about the environment.

A few years ago I lived at one of the nicest NC beaches. Every morning I would get up and walk the beach. Almost every morning there was a couple who would pick up trash off the beach most of which had washed ashore. I thought these people were folks who cared about their world and were doing something about it. One night on the world news they did a story about a NYC barge, a massive barge, that was dumping off the coast of NC. It was all legal as they did their nasty deed well offshore. The problem was that this NYC trash being dumped offshore was washing up on NC and SC beaches. Everyday this couple was collecting what trash they could and putting it in a trash can on the beach.
We need to do a lot more than make an individual effort. We need to put our effort into organization and have massive demonstrations and protests. Otherwise we are merely whistling in the wind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2011, 11:04 PM

11,192 posts, read 10,216,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
I make my own grocery bags out of burlap but just skipping the bagging as harry chickpea mentioned is a great idea. Why use bags at all? I have a little cart at home I can load them into that and bring them in. Issue solved. I feel rather foolish for not thinking of this as a possible solution. Thanks for jogging my old brain.

I also made my own. From a box of vintage fabric, I found some medium heavy twill and stitched up six of them, gusset and all. I'm always asked, at the check out counter, where I got them because they're cute, reusable and launder up, nicely. When I say I made them from scrap fabric, they offer to buy them from me.

This winter, I'm going to make more and when I get another question about selling them, I'll tell them I have a box of them in the car and will be happy to sell them as many as they like.

You just never know when the opportunity to make money will come your way.

Old 10-08-2011, 06:09 PM

13,900 posts, read 10,789,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usafracer View Post
There are a lot of places that will not let you take the shopping cart out of the store.
I think the person was saying that they had their own cart that they own and could use.

And I have never seen a store that wouldn't let you take your cart out to load groceries into your car. Most places like wal-mart even have those cart return things in the parking lot. It would be more cost effective to lose a shopping cart to a theif every now and again than it would to pay someone a days wages to carry them out for you. The carry out boy/girl is something that stores have all but done away with. There is only one store in my area that still has them and they are cutting them out as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
The OP has an important point that most would not like to acknowledge. We have been led to believe that as individuals we can make a difference. We can, a very little difference, but it makes us feel good and while we are recycling our plastic bags industry is dumping barges at sea, polluting our waterways, and destroying the very air we breath. The OP is making a statement that should open eyes. If you care about plastic bags then you need to be thinking of a massive protest like the 99% with all the people that care about the environment.

A few years ago I lived at one of the nicest NC beaches. Every morning I would get up and walk the beach. Almost every morning there was a couple who would pick up trash off the beach most of which had washed ashore. I thought these people were folks who cared about their world and were doing something about it. One night on the world news they did a story about a NYC barge, a massive barge, that was dumping off the coast of NC. It was all legal as they did their nasty deed well offshore. The problem was that this NYC trash being dumped offshore was washing up on NC and SC beaches. Everyday this couple was collecting what trash they could and putting it in a trash can on the beach.
We need to do a lot more than make an individual effort. We need to put our effort into organization and have massive demonstrations and protests. Otherwise we are merely whistling in the wind.

WOW.....slow down there buddy.Much more of that kinda talk and I'll be out of a job.

Old 10-08-2011, 09:55 PM

8,398 posts, read 9,892,998 times
Quote:
There are a lot of places that will not let you take the shopping cart out of the store.

Well then I guess I wouldn't shop there. I don't have that problem where I live so I'm good to go.

Old 10-09-2011, 10:58 AM

6,351 posts, read 7,831,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Hmm, it looks like biodegradable bags are a sham:

'Biodegradable' plastic bags may not be as eco-friendly as thought - Telegraph

Since most go to landfills, they do not get the proper oxygen to degrade. And they take 2-5 years.
I don't know about the bags the Brits use (source of your link), but I put clothespins in one of my "biodegradables" and hung it on the side of the house next to the pulley line. By the end of the summer, the bag was beginning to split and developed a hole in the bottom where some of the pins fell out. YMMV

Old 10-09-2011, 12:42 PM

7,981 posts, read 11,665,473 times
I love my string net bags. They hold an amazing amount, are strong and wad up fairly small.

Amazon.com: EuroSac Natural Cotton String Bag (EcoSac): Home & Garden

Old 10-11-2011, 07:50 AM

14,693 posts, read 23,136,361 times
Even if using reusable bags does not make an appreciable difference, why not do it anyway? It's hella easier. About 10 plastic bags of groceries will fit into 3 reusable ones. That makes many less trips to the card and you don't worry about the bag ripping.

Old 10-13-2011, 05:05 AM

25,039 posts, read 23,933,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post

And I have never seen a store that wouldn't let you take your cart out to load groceries into your car....
I have. It's quite inconvenient. This store did not offer a carry service.

Though many years have passed, I clearly remember the day when a woman asked me to guard her purchases while she (a senior) ferried bags to the trunk of her car. I was in quite a hurry but she wouldn't let me carry the bags for her. Clear your mind gerania, remember your priorities.

I own reusable bags and once in a while even remember to take them to the grocery. I have to admit, though, that once in a while my shopping trips get a bit out of hand and that I could not possibly own enough bags to contain all of the stuff that I buy.

The plastic monster is a concern.

Old 10-13-2011, 08:43 AM

3,442 posts, read 5,613,046 times
Even if the plastic landing in the landfils and the trees wasn't an issue I still prefer to use my canvass bags.. They don't cut into your hands if heavy, I don't find my purchases loose all over my trunk and they hold way more than plastic.

Old 10-13-2011, 08:57 AM

30,685 posts, read 49,462,974 times
Quote:
Here you go. They stick my bags on here and take them to the car for me. Most of the time its a retired person or a high school kid.
The grocery store where my Dw works has those.

The baggers work for tips. They bag and then follow you outside [pushing the cart], they load your vehicle, and they return the cart to the store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living