Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 03:20 PM

1,266 posts, read 3,222,892 times

Advertisements

Very impressive article about a woman who wanted to design and live in an "actively passive" home with the prime goal of remaining comfortable during all seasons -- without central heat, venting, or air conditioning.

In Texas!

See how she did:

"The Actively Passive Home" by Sheri Dixon page one
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2011, 05:36 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,463,557 times
Neat. House looks super cozy. But I like it to be more clear how much heat it used. How much did they save in heating costs? How well would this work for a stretch of colder winter weather (say, a week of lows at 0 or below zero)?

I had assumed winter would be more of a problem than summer. But Texas sounds impressively hot. I don't have A/C, and my bedroom temperature only broke 85°F a couple of times in the middle of the day. Below 80°F on all but one or two of the hottest nights, and usually closer to the mid-70s on the hotter summer nights.

Old 10-21-2011, 05:52 PM

I got the impression from her accompanying article that it was ventilation, ventilation, ventilation that made the design work so well.

Perhaps you can contact the author through that website by going to the homepage:

Homestead.org: The Homesteader's Free Library: Learn Homesteading, Self-sufficiency, and Economic Survival

Old 10-21-2011, 06:22 PM

2,288 posts, read 3,237,855 times
That was a amazing article, thanks so much for posting! The summer really sounded horrible though. I think at that point, I would have given in and bought a window unit. But I'm a wuss. I really admire these kind of folks.

Old 10-24-2011, 08:07 AM

885 posts, read 1,521,573 times
*gasp* I LOVE THAT HEARTH!

This concept is so natural that it's in use in nearly all indigenous structures (that and migration )

I saw a passive solar school recently in Tibet, it is sooo nice

The curtain wall of glass & windows creates an adjustable airlock, the masonry holds in the heat

The staff are trained to open and close windows based on the time of day

Old 10-24-2011, 09:11 AM

23,591 posts, read 70,383,686 times
95 degrees inside in summer is NOT successful.

Old 10-24-2011, 09:48 AM

885 posts, read 1,521,573 times
It's that hot in my house sometimes, as it is in most homes on the planet.

We sleep in the coolest locations or siesta.

I've done what I can to check convection in my house and have a system of operative windows that draws the most cool air in summertime. Interestingly, the oldest part of my house ventilates like a snap, it's the newer sections that heat up like a box.

I also enjoy hot temperatures *shrug* I just feel happier and more vitalized when it's hot. Fragrant summer nights with deafening insect choruses, the slightest breeze moving across the room...

I love their little place! Thanks OP

Last edited by SusqueHappy; 10-24-2011 at 10:09 AM..

Old 10-24-2011, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
95 degrees inside in summer is NOT successful.
It most certainly IS if the residents therein are acclimated to it and find that level of heat comfortable.

Couldn't you find a single thing in their design they did RIGHT?

Old 10-24-2011, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusqueHappy View Post
It's that hot in my house sometimes, as it is in most homes on the planet.

I love their little place! Thanks OP
I'm glad some of you enjoyed the article. It sure gave me some more ideas to add to my "dream house" list! (That open hearth...)

Having lived in an area all my life where the residents grow moss between their toes and squint uncomprehendingly on the few occasions each year the sun comes out from behind the ever-present rain clouds, I can't imagine 95 degrees as a usual summertime temperature. Acclimatization is a wonderful thing!

Old 10-24-2011, 03:45 PM

23,591 posts, read 70,383,686 times
95 degree temps in Chicago cause the death toll to rise. Acclimatization only works for some folks. It doesn't work for the sick, elderly, or those on some medications. Could I find something I liked? Possibly. That wasn't my point. My point is that some people can stack manure, call it sculpture and get people to agree and coo over it without reservation. My point is that in this day and age, a rental house that gets 95 inside will quite likely result in the local municipality coming down on the landlord like a ton of bricks. My point is that not everything is roses and perfume in the passive energy world, and using an AC is not a sin against the Lord and the planet. My point is that some people get so enamored with their project that they lose the greater perspective. BTDT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living