U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2011, 11:51 PM

3,764 posts, read 3,811,361 times

Advertisements

And they're even ahead of schedule!

Germany: A cleantech case study for a post-Fukushima world | MNN - Mother Nature Network
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2011, 02:30 AM

14,095 posts, read 23,709,792 times
An extremely biased source which scoffs at valid points made against the author's beliefs.

Old 10-29-2011, 05:12 AM

39,534 posts, read 40,866,506 times
The question is not whether it can be done but at what cost, the most important sentence in that article:

Quote:
Since I first started tracking Germany’s green energy revolution circa 2004 — four years into the extraordinary run of its revolutionary feed-in tariff, which recalibrated the price of electricity to favor renewables over fossils and fissiles — I’ve been hearing scoffing.
Translation: They increased the cost of electricity.

The "feed in tariff" sets a high rate the renewable energy can be sold for, I believe in Germany it's in the high 30 cent/kWh range. On a somewhat humorous side note there was some producers in Spain that got caught supplementing their solar installations with diesel generators which isn't exactly cheap either, just cheaper than solar. The feed in rate is wholesale and prior to distribution and other costs.

The article mentions they are only at 17%, as the percentage of renewables increases so will the retail rates of the electricity. I believe it's in the low 30's for average German household, that's three times what the average US household pays now and as the renewable energy increases so will the retail rate.

Having said that countries like Germany, China and especially Spain really have no choice about developing alternatives. Their coal supply will be exhausted over the next few decades and in the case of Spain they have none to begin with. There is only two nations on this earth with vast supplies relative to their consumption, the US and Russia. The Chinese for example by my estimates using BP figures will run out in about 20 years at the current rate of consumption.

Old 10-29-2011, 10:01 AM

5,090 posts, read 9,855,938 times
And Spain has a LOT of Sunshine.

So who wins in the long run?

What I am seeing is the Coal will wind up going into Oil.

Old 10-29-2011, 01:51 PM

39,534 posts, read 40,866,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
And Spain has a LOT of Sunshine.
All that sun isn't going to help them if their country collapses, I'm not going to suggest their green energy push had everything to do with it but it's certainly a factor. Only question is how much. Guess they better fire up those diesel generators. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or