U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 04:11 PM

8,955 posts, read 17,646,301 times

Advertisements

Did you know???

"The United States currently has 5,113 atomic warheads deployed in silos, bombers, and submarines, mostly in the continental US. That doesn't include thousands of "zombies" being kept in reserve and a backlog of more than 3,000 warheads awaiting dismantlement. Meanwhile, we're telling the world that we're on the path to disarmament, even as we're spending more on the nuclear weapons complex than we did during the Cold War."

Map: The Nuclear Bombs in Your Backyard | Mother Jones

Mother Jones: Nuke Facilities in the US

Ya, I'll sleep better knowing how close these things are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2011, 04:36 PM

29,988 posts, read 37,103,870 times
Did the OP miss the movie "The Day After" in 1983?

It is what it is. There is little any of us can do about it.

If the OP has problems sleeping at night perhaps Melatonin would help?

Old 11-12-2011, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Did the OP miss the movie "The Day After" in 1983? Yes, but I forget

It is what it is. There is little any of us can do about it. As an individual voting, as a group raise hell with your political representatives.

If the OP has problems sleeping at night perhaps Melatonin would help? That was tongue in cheek sarcasm

Old 11-12-2011, 05:07 PM

8,579 posts, read 8,497,595 times
YEA!!!!!
Peace through superior firepower!!!!!!

Old 11-12-2011, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
YEA!!!!!
You must have been listening to Dick Cheney & Don Rumsfield !!

Old 11-12-2011, 06:43 PM

15,924 posts, read 17,376,698 times
I wonder if the OP has been asleep the last few decades...

The fact that there are numerous atomic weapons within the continental United States and has been public knowledge for quite some time as well as the fact the R&D and building of newer more advanced atomic weapons has never ceased would only be a surprise to someone who is scared at every FUD article that is posted on the web...

I sleep sounder knowing America has these weapons and American enemies recognize their countries could be turned into glass parking lots because of them...

Has there EVER been any leakage due to an American nuclear weapon anywhere in the world?

~NO~

Could there ever be sometime in the future? Yes, but unlike the OP am not going to loose sleep over it...

Last edited by plwhit; 11-12-2011 at 07:06 PM..

Old 11-13-2011, 06:15 AM

30,635 posts, read 49,287,779 times
The map skipped Idaho's INL facility.

Old 11-13-2011, 06:57 AM

6,509 posts, read 6,429,279 times
Much ado about nothing.

Old 11-13-2011, 08:49 AM

3,869 posts, read 13,048,995 times
yea, that's why the sign on our local base reads
" Global Power For America"

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
YEA!!!!!
they are just repeating what the military is selling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
You must have been listening to Dick Cheney & Don Rumsfield !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
Much ado about nothing.

Old 11-13-2011, 11:10 AM

4,179 posts, read 9,389,033 times
Bless their hearts, most people haven't a clue.

1) I know of several sites less than 200 miles away - and I've only been here 3 years, there's probably more. None of them are on that map.

2) "No leakage"? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Where I used to live, there was a "private" nuclear storage facility, "owned" by a company with an innocuous name. Oddly enough, the roads on this "private" facility are heavily videoed and traveled by DOD personnel. If you pull over for longer than 10 minutes, your vehicle is surrounded by DOD vehicles that come from every direction. I have friends who work/have worked there, and the underground nuclear storage has been leaking for YEARS into the groundwater - and into the nearby river. That river not only supplies drinking water for hundreds of thousands of people, but the EPA has deemed the levels of tritium and other nuclear waste components in the water as "safe". The same EPA has advised folks who live downstream to not eat more than two fish a month from that river. Meanwhile, there are "water wars" going on all around that plant, as cities and towns from as far away as 600 miles are negotiating to access that "safe" water.

If you think for one minute that a nuclear facility 200 miles from your doorstep is far enough away to worry about, you are sadly mistaken. If you think that just because the EPA bureaucrats tell you the water is safe - in spite of the occasional fish with its eyes on only one side of its head (not flounder) or the sporadic three-and-five-legged frogs, you are living in a rich fantasy world, and I shan't disturb you.

There's a lot more to worry about than a sudden lunatic pushing 'the red button' and setting off a nuclear bomb in your neighborhood. If nothing else, there's the inevitability of everything to eventually break down; whether thru the application of time, water, air, weather changes, or even the gradual shifting of solid granite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living