U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 06:29 PM

15,066 posts, read 8,921,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esnox82 View Post
You reminded me of a good one. I drive my G8 with a 6.0L V8 (about 17.3 mag) all over the place... I could easily walk to work, but never have.
OMG, do you realize you just negated the gas savings of 4 Nissan Leaf's or 70 bicycles?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 07:16 PM

40 posts, read 43,501 times
I was a full-time working mother when both of my children were born. I asked for all the "drugs" I could get during labor while my friends went the "natural" route, and never even considered breast feeding or non-disposable diapers as an option. I'll bet their diapers are still sitting there in those landfills today - and they're now 18 and 20 years old.

Old 12-15-2011, 07:27 PM

1,709 posts, read 2,370,553 times
I drive a giant V8 powered GMC truck that gets 16 mpg.
I typically put 350 miles a day on my company car.
I leave my company car running all day and lock it with the remote so it will be cool / warm when I get back in it.
I run the AC on 68 degrees in the summer in my home.
I don't hug trees.

Old 12-15-2011, 08:02 PM

12,142 posts, read 11,361,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
My sins?

I don't recycle.
I don't care what the things I buy are made from.
I use about a ream of brand-new paper a month printing articles from the Internet. (recycled paper is garbage)
I don't buy recycled toilet paper or recycled paper towels.
I don't buy green cleaners of any type. (too expensive)
My AC stays on 72 in the summer, heat stays at 72 in the winter.
My car gets 19 MPG in the city (but I can do 0-60 in 3.9 seconds)
All my groceries are bagged in plastic.

Redeeming quality?

I try and fix anything that breaks rather then throwing it out and buying new.

me either !! I agree!!

Old 12-18-2011, 04:52 PM

831 posts, read 676,890 times
Well I feel better about my Expedition now.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:33 PM

27,022 posts, read 13,435,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Forgive me, for I have sinned.

n I live in a big house, 12,000 sq ft for myself and a 5lb dog
12,000 sq ft! Did you add a zero by mistake?

Old 12-22-2011, 08:48 AM

853 posts, read 1,051,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zembonez View Post
I drive a giant V8 powered GMC truck that gets 16 mpg.
I typically put 350 miles a day on my company car.
I leave my company car running all day and lock it with the remote so it will be cool / warm when I get back in it.
I run the AC on 68 degrees in the summer in my home.
I don't hug trees.
And read this forum because............

Old 12-22-2011, 04:00 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,853,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
12,000 sq ft! Did you add a zero by mistake?
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Nope. Absolutely correct. (I play baseball with my dog in the upstairs hallway, because it is 100 feet long (longer than from home plate to 1st base). ;-)

I really don't feel that bad about it, because I have no kids, and if you look at the environmental footprint (ultimately) of those with 2 or 3 or 4 kids, I am just
a drop in the bucket.

Old 12-22-2011, 10:38 PM

220 posts, read 39,171 times
Well, I must confess, I dump used oil and anti-freeze down the storm sewer.

Okay, maybe not. But we do have an older Jeep that a previous owner removed the cat converter and replaced with a straight pipe. On the other hand, we live 1/4 mile from my wife's office and about a mile from mine, so we drive very few miles in a year.

Old 12-23-2011, 06:13 AM

4,728 posts, read 5,162,671 times
I use paper plates & bowls, paper towels and paper napkins. But that's more environmentally friendly than having to haul and use all that water (and heat it!) to do dishes. I either burn them in my woodstove (recycled for heat), or compost them for my garden (recycled for food). Hopefully that redeems me.

I don't always recycle my cans. There's no recycling out here, so I'd have to save them up to take into town (NMT quarterly). To save them up, I need to use a lot of water to clean them out really good so we don't attract bears... if it's close to a trip, washing with grey water is good enough, but not if they're going to sit for a few months. We get a small payback by the lb for recycling aluminum, but steel/tin food cans are straight salvage so we only get peace of mind. But I do reuse a lot of them, so hopefully that redeems me.

I use clay cat litter and plastic pan liners which I take to the dump. I tried the organic composting litters and my cat stopped using it after a while. Oh well, I tried...

I drive a 1-ton V10 pickup. Where I live and what I use it for there are no greener alternatives... hopefully the fact that I don't use it often offsets this necessary sin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living