U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 12:24 PM

10,591 posts, read 13,057,821 times

Advertisements

Pollutes the air and the butts wind up in the street. Aside from that I will hang on to trash when out and about until I find a garbage can, Which being in NYC is not long as there are enough around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2012, 06:12 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,997,160 times
My farts are pretty nasty so I try and let em go when the dog is in the room or when I take the pooch out for his relief. Plus my dogs poops are adding nitrogen and pathogens to the fragile marine estuary.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:00 AM

15,540 posts, read 24,845,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springazure View Post
In the line at the store the cashier told the old woman that plastic bags werenít good for the environment. The woman apologized to her and explained, ďWe didnít have the green thing back in my day.Ē

Thatís right. They didnít have the green thing in her day. Back then they returned their milk bottles, Coke bottles and beer bottles to the store. The store sent them back to the plant to be washed and sterilized and refilled, using the same bottles over and over. So they really were recycled.

But they didnít have the green thing back her day.

In her day they walked up stairs because they didnít have an escalator or elevator in every store and office building. They walked to the grocery store and didnít climb into a gas guzzling 300-horsepower machine every time they had to go two blocks.

Sheís right. They didnít have the green thing in her day.

Back then they washed the babyís diapers because they didnít have the throw-away kind. They dried clothes on a line not in an energy gobbling machine burning up 220 volts Ė wind and solar power really did dry the clothes! Kids got hand-me-down clothes from their brothers or sisters not always brand-new clothing.

But that old lady is right ... they didnít have the green thing back in her day.

Back then they had one TV, or radio, in the house Ė not a TV in every room. And the TV had a small screen the size of a pizza dish not a screen the size of the state of Montana. In the kitchen they blended and stirred by hand because they didnít have electric machines to do everything for you. When they packaged a fragile item to send in the mail they used wadded up newspaper to cushion it not styrofoam "peanuts" or plastic bubble wrap.

Back then they didnít fire up an engine and burn gasoline just to cut the lawn. They used a push mower that ran on human power. They exercised by working so they didnít need to go to a health club to run on treadmills that operate on electricity.

Sheís right. They didnít have the green thing back then.

They drank from a fountain when they were thirsty instead of using a cup or a plastic bottle every time they had a drink of water. They refilled pens with ink, instead of buying a new pen, and they replaced the razor blades in a razor instead of throwing away the whole razor just because the blade got dull.

But they didnít have the green thing back then.

Back then people took the streetcar and kids rode their bikes to school or rode the school bus instead of turning their moms into a 24-hour taxi service. They had one electrical outlet in a room not an entire bank of sockets to power a dozen appliances. And they didnít need a computerized gadget to receive a signal beamed from satellites 2,000 miles out in space in order to find the nearest pizza joint.

They didn't have the green thing back then!

love it, I still hang my clothes on the clothesline. Mother nature dries my clothes for free, I love her.

But seriously, they did have green back then, it just wasn't called green, it was really sensible, and logical.

But today, it is a money making thing. Buy 'green" cleaning products and the prices are double, when back then they used vinegar and baking soda and it worked wonders.

I still like bottled milk, it tasted better. Loved the milkman, especially in the summer he left ices int he milk box.

I think all this plastic bottled water is ridiculous, I don't care what anyone says, tap water, well at least here in NY tastes the same. Think about the billions of plastic water bottles that get thrown out every day.....

Old 06-01-2012, 09:18 AM

3,060 posts, read 7,131,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
... And will not clean/rinse/save those wet cat food cans-the tuna smell/fishy smell is nauseating.
Cat food tins are my environmental sin as well. They are just too disgusting to rinse out. The smell makes me want to hurl.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:29 AM

8,698 posts, read 11,779,918 times
I have built up so much credit that any sins are immediately offset.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:33 AM

8,698 posts, read 11,779,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
Cat food tins are my environmental sin as well. They are just too disgusting to rinse out. The smell makes me want to hurl.
The cats will clean those out for you.

Old 06-29-2012, 10:03 PM

32,307 posts, read 59,491,616 times
I run two refrigerators. I don't know why. The basement fridge was here when we moved in, so we kept it running for the freezer, and for beer, pop, and larger items.

On stinking hot days like this, I shower twice a day. Sometimes three times.

I have 5 TVs, VCRs, DVD players, cable boxes. They're all plugged in and drawing standby power when not on. I should unplug at least four of them, but I don't.

I use paper tissues, paper towels, paper napkins and plastic trash bags. The use of plastic trash bags is mandated by the town's trash hauler. I hate that.

Not all my light bulbs are compact fluorescent; they're not appropriate everywhere, and for reading, I don't find them bright enough.

Old 06-29-2012, 10:12 PM

251 posts, read 543,899 times
Our family drives a 18 hwy mpg car to places within 10 minutes walking distance.

(Forgive us, we are in the suburbs of Los Angeles, everyone does that.)

Old 06-29-2012, 10:40 PM

749 posts, read 713,207 times
Let's see...

I throw batteries in the trash can
I toss my cats crap and urine clumps off the balcony into the creek below
I'll pour out used motor oil/tranny fluid/anti-freeze wherever I can find a good place
I'll burn most any damn piece of trash that'll fit in the burn barrel.
I drive two big damned heads & cam'd V8 powered, gas sucking cars that'll go sideways at the hit of the throttle
I take 15-20min showers.....twice a day.
I have never recycled.
I have 3 plasma TV's...one of which is probably on 16hrs a day

In other words, I just don't give a ****!

For those that do....enjoy your green life. I want no part of it.

Last edited by LeftyTrav; 06-29-2012 at 10:50 PM..

Old 07-12-2012, 01:10 AM

981 posts, read 1,962,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
I try to live as "green" as possible but I suspect that most people who do this are like me, they've got their dirty little secrets...

Mine is I love,love ,love fresh sheets. If I've got the time, I change they daily or at least every other day. So energy to wash and dry them, plus more energy to iron.

I also ask for the bed to be" fresh" everyday when i travel (and I don't reuse hotel towels either...)
I've voted Republican a few times (but not for the mindless denier types, so it wasn't exactly a sin).

That sheet thing is actually a big deal, waste-wise. Some people only change theirs every few months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or