Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 09:17 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,859,501 times

Advertisements

A Sanyo or other ductless mini split AC start under 1000 bucks. I enjoy not using AC too, but we do have some nasty super humid high 80 degree nights. IT can be kinda tough night of sleep but that is ok.

Could you tell us more about how the glass wall works. IS the glass wall part of the living area or is it outside the living area but effectively heats up that wall? Does it in turn get very hot in the summer?

I would like to use a space like that to grow food in the winter.

thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 11:00 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,937,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
A Sanyo or other ductless mini split AC start under 1000 bucks. I enjoy not using AC too, but we do have some nasty super humid high 80 degree nights. IT can be kinda tough night of sleep but that is ok.

Could you tell us more about how the glass wall works. IS the glass wall part of the living area or is it outside the living area but effectively heats up that wall? Does it in turn get very hot in the summer?

I would like to use a space like that to grow food in the winter.

thanks...
The house is 60 feet long ,so is the glass sliding doors,all five of them. There is no exposed wood in this house..Everything's metal,stone and glass, very modern in a minimalist sort of way. Walls are 12" thick, flat roof is 18" thick, all polly close cell sprayed in insulation, with R values of 80-100.( except the glass area. By the way, the glass is double pane glazing with a thermal break between aluminum extrusions.Low E , and gas filled combos. Sliders are custom made five feet long and 9' high. Interior space is loft like. room walls do not extend to the nine foot ceiling.... Now you know. Check out Rocio Romario website, she designs these flat pack homes and sells the basic structure,which is a small part of the total. They are not cheap to build, unless,you do it yourself, very labor intensive, with an all metal exterior, that is a cut and fit nightmare, but, we did get it done, with help. Took 4 years from start to finish, ....The land( rock outcroppings) were a big part of the time involved, I do my own roads,driveway, blasting, etc, to get to the top of the rock for the 50 mile view of Lake Superior.

Old 01-17-2012, 01:37 PM

3,244 posts, read 7,447,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
The house is 60 feet long ,so is the glass sliding doors,all five of them. There is no exposed wood in this house..Everything's metal,stone and glass, very modern in a minimalist sort of way. Walls are 12" thick, flat roof is 18" thick, all polly close cell sprayed in insulation, with R values of 80-100.( except the glass area. By the way, the glass is double pane glazing with a thermal break between aluminum extrusions.Low E , and gas filled combos. Sliders are custom made five feet long and 9' high. Interior space is loft like. room walls do not extend to the nine foot ceiling.... Now you know. Check out Rocio Romario website, she designs these flat pack homes and sells the basic structure,which is a small part of the total. They are not cheap to build, unless,you do it yourself, very labor intensive, with an all metal exterior, that is a cut and fit nightmare, but, we did get it done, with help. Took 4 years from start to finish, ....The land( rock outcroppings) were a big part of the time involved, I do my own roads,driveway, blasting, etc, to get to the top of the rock for the 50 mile view of Lake Superior.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope you are REALLY high up, as the curvature of the earth sort of prevents that.

Old 01-17-2012, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
--------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope you are REALLY high up, as the curvature of the earth sort of prevents that.
1250 foot, lake alt. 670 three miles down range. Views vary , winter is best.

Old 01-17-2012, 06:49 PM

3,244 posts, read 7,447,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
1250 foot, lake alt. 670 three miles down range. Views vary , winter is best.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Not even close: (you would have a better shot if you were at twice the altitude).

How far away is the horizon? | Bad Astronomy | Discover Magazine

Old 01-18-2012, 07:02 AM

Quote:

Not even close: (you would have a better shot if you were at twice the altitude).

Looking at your chart it looks more like 40 miles that we are seeing. It may not be correct, but much of the distance people talk about is road miles and or time along with distance. So, I guess is about 40 miles by crow.Remember, what we are looking at ( Grand Isle) has its own elevation also.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:57 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,989,918 times
Quote:

The equation you are using is distance to the horizon. Most of the time what you are looking at his higher than the horizon and can be seen at a greater distance.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
The equation you are using is distance to the horizon. Most of the time what you are looking at his higher than the horizon and can be seen at a greater distance.
Yes , Grand Isle is the largest island in Michigan ( except isle Royal). Bluffs are 800-900 feet high from waterline. Some of the rock faces reflect back into my house at sunset, mostly in summer. I can see beyond Grand Isle with my telescope. That area is where Pictured Rock National Monument is. I can not see the waterline with the scope , only the high points beyond Grand Isle. Now, If I could only spring for a mega binocular unit mounted on stand, about 80x150 or so, !I am sure even 40 crow miles is overstating it, but it takes a full hour to drive to Grand Isle from Marquette.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living