U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 11:18 AM

203 posts, read 438,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
with how little it cost, with no mortgage, why bother with insurance anyways?
x2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 05:12 PM

7,361 posts, read 12,896,172 times
Hope all of you talking about going off the grid have read Mike and Lisa's story on C-D.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/tenne...tennessee.html

Old 01-21-2012, 08:03 AM

1,126 posts, read 2,449,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
Hope all of you talking about going off the grid have read Mike and Lisa's story on C-D.

Interesting that you would bring that up. They built without the need for inspections. Had to replace the roof. The grade at the ends of the building were done three times. And the building has NO ESCAPE ROUTES from either bedroom, and A fireplace between the only two doors.

They did a nice job, but some simple design changes would have made this a much safer home.

I do prormote folks building their own to save money, promote a sense of real ownership, and for the accomplishment. But Codes are in place to make sure the building is built correctly and safely.

Old 01-21-2012, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Nonsense. I've seen enough places built to code that are dangerous or won't last the life of the mortgage on it. People need to take some responsibility for their own life, home, etc.

Now it comes out you're a builder and it's in your financial interest to not allow people to build their own homes debt free and code free.
Sorry that attack doesn't fly. Although I have built a number of houses personally, my crews build commercial for a single company, so are not in competition with anyone. I have nothing to gain.

Old 01-21-2012, 03:25 PM

8,487 posts, read 5,887,820 times
I think a concern over code is valid, for safety, however, building to code doesn't eliminate issues.

Having codes and permits is also about control and revenue. There are many designs that might be quite safe and smarter, but due to codes and regulations in areas are hindered or disallowed.

Old 01-22-2012, 04:23 AM

25,584 posts, read 31,704,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post

It is a neat project. Cool to boot. There were several issues in design and execution of the project.

The first was some of the work done could cause major erosion issues. They spent a lot of money trying to mitigate and fix those problems.

The next was the some of the work on the house and materials used. Nails have shear strengh and hold houses together. They have for years and will continue to do so. Next issue was not using treated lumber on the sill and areas close to ground. Steel roof is another case of whoops.

Builidng code or not some of the things if done right will make for a better house as in mitigating issues with rot.

It might have been worthwhile to spend some time with an engineer instead of going it alone. On their project they've had to go back and redo several things incluing a roof.

As far as egress and placement of the wood stove. Yes I think I would have done it differently code or not.

In locales where inspection isn't an issue, you will want to use the right materials and practices to where your investment isn't a headache or a concern for safety.

Old 01-22-2012, 06:15 AM

16,936 posts, read 22,206,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirnot View Post
Sorry that attack doesn't fly. Although I have built a number of houses personally, my crews build commercial for a single company, so are not in competition with anyone. I have nothing to gain.
Yeah, a commercial builder has nothing to gain from codes eliminating competition.

Old 01-22-2012, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Yeah, a commercial builder has nothing to gain from codes eliminating competition.
We build for a single company, we have one customer, a private company.
There is no competition with the marketplace, so how do you figure I have anything to gain???????

Old 01-22-2012, 09:07 AM

16,936 posts, read 22,206,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirnot View Post
We build for a single company, we have one customer, a private company.
There is no competition with the marketplace, so how do you figure I have anything to gain???????
Most people don't work for a single employer their whole lives these days.

Old 01-22-2012, 11:47 AM

8,487 posts, read 5,887,820 times
No most people don't. However, don't be surprised to see a business, like construction, have one customer or very few.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or