Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 07:49 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,649,862 times

Advertisements

DCForever, obviously your English teacher didn't discuss "metaphors" and "similies" with your class, any more than your science teacher discussed "DNA" or "examples". If you think that putting poison into a dog's DNA is wrong, why don't you think that putting poisonous DNA into the vegetables you eat is wrong? If you think that the 'poor people in Africa' are going to benefit from this, it has already been reported that Monsanto is more than happy to sell African countries their 'enhanced' products that cannot replicate (that means you cannot save the seed from year to year and plant more - trying to help your HS bio teacher here). This way, they can sell these 'enhanced' seeds every year - and each year jack up the price.

Do you get it now or do you need pictures?

Which is exactly why it is so hard to explain things to some people - they don't grasp that the "Flavr Savr" tomato is a baaad thing, as long as it tastes good! I call it the WalMart fast-food mentality - if it's cheaper, who cares what the results are? It's food, it says so right on the label...

Old 02-08-2012, 08:47 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,946,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
DCForever, obviously your English teacher didn't discuss "metaphors" and "similies" with your class, any more than your science teacher discussed "DNA" or "examples". If you think that putting poison into a dog's DNA is wrong, why don't you think that putting poisonous DNA into the vegetables you eat is wrong? If you think that the 'poor people in Africa' are going to benefit from this, it has already been reported that Monsanto is more than happy to sell African countries their 'enhanced' products that cannot replicate (that means you cannot save the seed from year to year and plant more - trying to help your HS bio teacher here). This way, they can sell these 'enhanced' seeds every year - and each year jack up the price.

Do you get it now or do you need pictures?

Which is exactly why it is so hard to explain things to some people - they don't grasp that the "Flavr Savr" tomato is a baaad thing, as long as it tastes good! I call it the WalMart fast-food mentality - if it's cheaper, who cares what the results are? It's food, it says so right on the label...
I'm not sure those 1/2 million children dying of vitamin A deficiency understand your logic. Please address the issue rather than spinning off on some mindless rant about bouncing tomatoes. Do you oppose the adoption of golden rice because it is a genetically modified product? Do you abstain from eating soy products and bananas since they are genetically modified? Is it OK just to let the papaya die out, because the only solution is genetic modification.

BTW don't worry about my English or science educations, it's more than sufficient for this venue.

Last edited by DCforever; 02-08-2012 at 09:00 AM..

Old 02-08-2012, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Referring to FROG DNA being forced into a TOMATOE to make the skin more durable. At on point, a Monsanto tomato could BOUNCE like a rubber ball.
Sweet can we play tennis with them?

Quote:
They have created a GM mosquito that dies within a few hours and is sterile. At least 50% of the mosquitos are sterile. What are the consequences if this FAILS and other mosquitos acquire the trait? The ecosysytem tail spins if we lose ONE link in the chain.
?? What bad thing would happen if mosquitoes die out?

Quote:
Do you remember you gentics class? ANIMAL DNA + VEGGIE DNA does not equal HYBIRIZATION.
Right that was my point, and GM bananas do not have animal DNA, but I'm OK with that if they do.

Quote:
Who is making vitam improved GMOs?
Do a little research. If you're discussing the pros and cons of GM food and are unaware of the efforts to improve the nutritional value of such foods as rice, then all you're reading is the anti-gm literature. A little balance in your reading would probably be useful.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:08 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,077,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
?? What bad thing would happen if mosquitoes die out?
Serious question, e-sarcasm, or are you baiting someone to ask what youre talking about and now that I did, you are going to make a legit reason why we don't need mosquitoes?

Old 02-08-2012, 09:24 AM

52,221 posts, read 33,927,682 times
hoo-boy. there is soooo much misinformation being tossed about on this thread, it would take hours to deconstruct all of it.

Quote:
Referring to FROG DNA being forced into a TOMATOE to make the skin more durable. At on point, a Monsanto tomato could BOUNCE like a rubber ball.
no GM tomato has EVER included frog DNA. and monsanto has never even marketed a GM tomato. the GM tomatoes that were made by calgene certainly did not 'bounce like a rubber ball'
no GM tomatoes are even being sold commercially today.

Quote:
They have created a GM mosquito that dies within a few hours and is sterile. At least 50% of the mosquitos are sterile. What are the consequences if this FAILS and other mosquitos acquire the trait? The ecosysytem tail spins if we lose ONE link in the chain.

Do you remember you gentics class? ANIMAL DNA + VEGGIE DNA does not equal HYBIRIZATION.

well, golden rice [vitamin A rice] was invented at the swiss federal institute of technology, and is made by the swiss company syngenta, as well as the eeevil monsanto, which has granted royalty-free licenses to those who want to grow it.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Just when you thought GMOs just might be yummy--

Seems Monsato isn't ready to admit Agent Orange (yes the same stuff used in jungle defoilage and a major carcinogen) is actually dangerous.

Monsanto is asking for clearence to use AGENT ORANGE on our food...

From the article:

At the very same time, the Dow Chemical Company is seeking government deregulation of a new genetically-modified (GM) variety of corn resistant to 2,4-D, the other half of Agent Orange.

Learn more: Class action lawsuit against Monsanto for Agent Orange pollution while Dow seeks deregulation for Agent Orange resistant corn
are you aware that 2,4-D is currently the most widely used herbicide in the world? and the third most widely-used in the US and canada?

it's a synthetic plant hormone.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:47 AM

504 posts, read 1,265,831 times
Quote:
You have bananas today due to GM. I don't care for Monsanto's focus, which seems to use GM to enhance sales of their chemicals, but many GM produces better plants that ultimately use less chemicals. GM is a tool, neither good nor bad. Application is the key.
I agree.
Quote:
Golden Rice An Effective Source Of Vitamin A
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
Your argument makes no sense at all. Why don't you define "poison" for us and then explain what your bizarre metaphor has to do with GMO crops.

Old 02-08-2012, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowitsshowtime View Post
Serious question, e-sarcasm, or are you baiting someone to ask what youre talking about and now that I did, you are going to make a legit reason why we don't need mosquitoes?
I don't know what this is actually saying.
Quote:
Perhaps you could enlighten us. I've been told this is all over my head, but I personally would not morn the extinction of the mosquito.

Old 02-08-2012, 10:31 AM

Quote:
You have bananas today due to GM. I don't care for Monsanto's focus, which seems to use GM to enhance sales of their chemicals, but many GM produces better plants that ultimately use less chemicals. GM is a tool, neither good nor bad. Application is the key.
umm, this is also wrong. no commercially available bananas are genetically modified.

there are field trials in uganda of a GM banana resistant to devastating disease of banana called black sigatoka.

Field Testing of transgenic Banana | Research Areas

Old 02-08-2012, 10:58 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,046,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
hoo-boy. there is soooo much misinformation being tossed about on this thread, it would take hours to deconstruct all of it.

no GM tomato has EVER included frog DNA. and monsanto has never even marketed a GM tomato. the GM tomatoes that were made by calgene certainly did not 'bounce like a rubber ball'
no GM tomatoes are even being sold commercially today.

well, golden rice [vitamin A rice] was invented at the swiss federal institute of technology, and is made by the swiss company syngenta, as well as the eeevil monsanto, which has granted royalty-free licenses to those who want to grow it.
My bad...it was a FISH and obviously the bouncing tomato was not going to be a commercial success..seems to be a lot of monsanto.com folks coming out of the genetics pool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living