Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 09:13 PM

19,697 posts, read 20,221,774 times

Advertisements

Man, I used to smoke...I quit about a year 1/2 ago, and now I notice the smell like crazy!

People have every right to smoke outside or whatever, and I think people that directly give nasty looks are just rude- but for a person who does not smoke, the smell is ridiculously stronger than you would imagine!

Definitely not saying it pollutes worse than cars though...lol

Old 02-06-2012, 07:37 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
IMO, I would rather see emmissions and pollutants from industry restricted where ever possible. My only objection to cigarettes (been there done that so I understand) is the huge gatherings around offices and other doors especially in the winter.
Like other people, smokers who stay clear of entrances and dispose of stinky filters appropriately are fine on the outside...

Old 02-11-2012, 05:07 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,189,698 times
Close yourself into a garage with a smoker for an hour.

Now do the same thing but substitute a running vehicle instead of the smoker.

Case closed.

Old 02-11-2012, 05:36 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,597,224 times
It's really hard to tell, there are no good studies on either without influence. Car emissions are bad but diluted so hard to compare, smoking studies are weird, if you die of practically anything and smoked or lived with a smoker they list it as a smoking related death so who would really know? What would be nice is to have some actually relative studies on anything. lol

I'm guessing the car but can't be sure.

Old 02-11-2012, 07:15 PM

37,096 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Default Hands down, cigarettes kill more

CDC - Chronic Disease - Tobacco - At A Glance

"Tobacco use is the single most preventable cause of disease, disability, and death in the United States. Each year, an estimated 443,000 people die prematurely from smoking or exposure to secondhand smoke, and another 8.6 million live with a serious illness caused by smoking."

More Air Pollution controls would save a lot of lives and money - Air pollution deaths similar to World War 2 military deaths each year

"Air pollution in the United States kills 60,000 each year."

Global2015 - Challenges (2008 Draft) - Clean Outdoor Air

This link puts the US deaths at 41,200 per year from outdoor air pollution. See the last link at the bottom of the page.

What happens to outdoor cigarette smoke:

http://www.repace.com/pdf/outdoorair.pdf

"Students or faculty passing through the cloud of smoke would encounter detectable levels at about 7 meters (23 feet) from a smoker, and irritating levels at 4 meters (13 feet). Moreover, smokers in proximity to a doorway as persons enter or depart, may result in smoke being inducted into the building, posing a chronic threat as well as an acute one, to building occupants. Therefore it makes sense to post signs warning smokers not to smoke closer
than about 20 feet from building entrances, and to place ashtrays at that distance and no closer. Moreover, because some persons suffer from severe asthma, and secondhand smoke is a known asthmatic trigger, this is another good reason to keep smokers from congregating closer to building entrances than 20 feet."

http://www.repace.com/pdf/OTS_FACT_SHEET.pdf

Last edited by suzy_q2010; 02-11-2012 at 07:21 PM.. Reason: Add link

Old 02-11-2012, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Close yourself into a garage with a smoker for an hour.

Now do the same thing but substitute a running vehicle instead of the smoker.

Case closed.
Not quite.

First of all, you are using an indoor air pollution scenario, not an outdoor one.

Second, you have to include all the pollutants, not just carbon monoxide (which is probably not the major constituent of vehicle exhaust contributing to outdoor pollution.)

Particulate matter from tobacco versus diesel car exhaust: an educational perspective

Three cigarettes produced 10 times more particulate pollutants than a diesel engine inside a garage.

Old 02-11-2012, 09:29 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,189,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Not quite.
First of all, you are using an indoor air pollution scenario, not an outdoor one.

Second, you have to include all the pollutants, not just carbon monoxide (which is probably not the major constituent of vehicle exhaust contributing to outdoor pollution.)
Cigarette smoke vs car exhaust in a garage, THAT was the question posed... FWIW lets review the exact question the OP posed shall we?

Quote:
"Ok, well, if your kids had to spend time in a garage with the door closed with me chain smoking inside or with you and your car running, which would you choose?"
Hmmmm, OP seems very clear, concise and to the point as to the location. Would you care to tell me what magic Internet browser you are using that shows the text between the lines please? Thanks

OP was a simple question, you on the other hand want to make a mountain out of a molehill...

Personally I want to boycott Mother Nature as She is the largest polluter in the world....

Last edited by plwhit; 02-11-2012 at 10:02 PM..

Old 02-12-2012, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Cigarette smoke vs car exhaust in a garage, THAT was the question posed... FWIW lets review the exact question the OP posed shall we?

Hmmmm, OP seems very clear, concise and to the point as to the location. Would you care to tell me what magic Internet browser you are using that shows the text between the lines please? Thanks

OP was a simple question, you on the other hand want to make a mountain out of a molehill...

Personally I want to boycott Mother Nature as She is the largest polluter in the world....
The exact question OP posed was, "Which is worse, cigarette smoke or car exhaust?" Note the title to the thread.

I believe I answered that.

I apologize, though. I should have quoted the original post, too.

When someone tested that question in a closed garage, the cigarettes produced more pollutants.

Old 02-12-2012, 10:15 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
CDC - Chronic Disease - Tobacco - At A Glance

"Tobacco use is the single most preventable cause of disease, disability, and death in the United States. Each year, an estimated 443,000 people die prematurely from smoking or exposure to secondhand smoke, and another 8.6 million live with a serious illness caused by smoking."

More Air Pollution controls would save a lot of lives and money - Air pollution deaths similar to World War 2 military deaths each year

"Air pollution in the United States kills 60,000 each year."

Global2015 - Challenges (2008 Draft) - Clean Outdoor Air

This link puts the US deaths at 41,200 per year from outdoor air pollution. See the last link at the bottom of the page.
There is obviously no hard data for these statistics, do you know how they arrive at such numbers?

Old 02-12-2012, 10:28 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
When someone tested that question in a closed garage, the cigarettes produced more pollutants.
CO kills, it's as simple as that. It bonds to the hemoglobin in your blood preventing it from carrying oxygen. Exposure to even low levels over a very long period of time can lead to detrimental health effects and if the concentration is high enough death because it will build up in your system. There is very little the medical community can do for someone that has been poisoned by CO even with immediate medical attention. The primary cure is time.

It's effective enough it was one method used by the Nazi's in death camps, to even suggest cigarette smoke is more harmful than car exhaust in a closed environment is ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living