U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 01-27-2012, 09:19 PM
 
642 posts, read 957,469 times
Reputation: 505

Advertisements

So a few weeks ago I was standing outside Taco Bell on my lunch break smoking a cigarette while this family pulls up in a Suburban. The (assumed) dad threw me (what I perceived to be) a dirty look as they walked inside.

I'm non-confrontational by nature but if he were to have said anything about it I would have argued that his car was much more damaging than my cigarette. If he were to disagree i would've said to him:

"Ok, well, if your kids had to spend time in a garage with the door closed with me chain smoking inside or with you and your car running, which would you choose?"

Of course I didn't say anything and in reality in might just have been his default face, but sometimes I get a kick out of these hypothetical conversations.

 
Old 01-28-2012, 07:22 AM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
14,277 posts, read 11,624,769 times
Reputation: 10682
Quote:
Originally Posted by abqpsychlist View Post
So a few weeks ago I was standing outside Taco Bell on my lunch break smoking a cigarette while this family pulls up in a Suburban. The (assumed) dad threw me (what I perceived to be) a dirty look as they walked inside.

I'm non-confrontational by nature but if he were to have said anything about it I would have argued that his car was much more damaging than my cigarette. If he were to disagree i would've said to him:

"Ok, well, if your kids had to spend time in a garage with the door closed with me chain smoking inside or with you and your car running, which would you choose?"

Of course I didn't say anything and in reality in might just have been his default face, but sometimes I get a kick out of these hypothetical conversations.
Actually, with the catalytic converters; I would like to see the scientific comparison. Years ago it was a simple question - the carbon monoxide would kill your from the car without the catalytic converter.

As far as smoking in front of the establishment that you work - I donít think it is great idea. Take your break at the back door - if they have one. If they donít have a back entrance; take your break in front of another business. I am not trying to be cruel - I was a smoker for many years (now smoke free).

I am just saying that smokers should be more than aware of prevailing attitudes today. As a worker of any establishment; you do not want to turn customers away. Some people take your smoking as if you are holding a gun to their head - they simply will not come back and expose themselves or their loved ones to second hand smoke. The more work; the more secure your job is and the opposite is also true. If your employer feels that you are the reason they are loosing business; you know what could happen.
 
Old 01-28-2012, 10:45 AM
 
642 posts, read 957,469 times
Reputation: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Actually, with the catalytic converters; I would like to see the scientific comparison. Years ago it was a simple question - the carbon monoxide would kill your from the car without the catalytic converter.

As far as smoking in front of the establishment that you work - I don’t think it is great idea. Take your break at the back door - if they have one. If they don’t have a back entrance; take your break in front of another business. I am not trying to be cruel - I was a smoker for many years (now smoke free).

I am just saying that smokers should be more than aware of prevailing attitudes today. As a worker of any establishment; you do not want to turn customers away. Some people take your smoking as if you are holding a gun to their head - they simply will not come back and expose themselves or their loved ones to second hand smoke. The more work; the more secure your job is and the opposite is also true. If your employer feels that you are the reason they are loosing business; you know what could happen.
First of all, congrats on being smoke free!! I've been trying to quit for quite a few years and it has yet to stick. It's gotten to the point where I can't even tell people I'm quitting anymore because it's just a broken record at this point.

Also, I realized shortly after I posted this that I was a little unclear. I don't work at Taco Bell - I rode my bike there from my call center job on my lunch break.

At my job people used to smoke near the back entrance but due to some complaints they moved the smoking area out into the parking lot, and based on some information the company has recently published, it sounds like they are going to soon enforce a 'smoke-free campus.' I'm ok with the designated area because it is annoying/unhealthy trying to walk in somewhere and not be able to avoid the smoke, and although I'm against the smoke-free campus, it could help some people quit.

They used to allow smoking indoors here in restaurants and bars up until June of 2007, and I'm glad they no longer allow it - it was really gross!
However, the prevailing attitudes towards smoking in general these days can be a little irritating considering most people don't give a second thought to driving around everywhere.

And even with the catalytic converters I still wouldn't really wish for anybody to have to spend time indoors with a running vehicle. I get around mainly by bike, and along with my smoking habit, I feel the amount of car exhaust I end up is inhaling on a regular basis may be just as bad or worse.

Last edited by abqpsychlist; 01-28-2012 at 11:17 AM..
 
Old 01-28-2012, 10:53 AM
 
35,121 posts, read 39,987,519 times
Reputation: 62022
Personally I am sick of getting the sideways glances and the remarks about my smoking. I smoke outside, never smoke in anyone's home or vehicle that does not smoke, if anyone is around when I am outside and I have to stand or sit relatively close I always ask them if smoke bothers them and I always have been a very courteous smoker but I have come close to my 'nice smoker' limit.

I would like others to be as courteous to me in regards to other things in life like..........."Do you mind if my screaming child sits at this table next to you" or "You little so & so I told you not to do that" (screaming at the top of the parental lungs in the grocery store and calling their own child f'ers, btrds, bchs, etc (I'm sure you get my abbreviated drift here).
 
Old 01-28-2012, 12:01 PM
 
Location: The Woods
16,935 posts, read 22,198,202 times
Reputation: 9019
Cars, the sheer volume of fumes they emit is mind boggling.
 
Old 01-28-2012, 12:28 PM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
14,277 posts, read 11,624,769 times
Reputation: 10682
Quote:
Originally Posted by abqpsychlist View Post
First of all, congrats on being smoke free!! I've been trying to quit for quite a few years and it has yet to stick. It's gotten to the point where I can't even tell people I'm quitting anymore because it's just a broken record at this point.

Also, I realized shortly after I posted this that I was a little unclear. I don't work at Taco Bell - I rode my bike there from my call center job on my lunch break.

At my job people used to smoke near the back entrance but due to some complaints they moved the smoking area out into the parking lot, and based on some information the company has recently published, it sounds like they are going to soon enforce a 'smoke-free campus.' I'm ok with the designated area because it is annoying/unhealthy trying to walk in somewhere and not be able to avoid the smoke, and although I'm against the smoke-free campus, it could help some people quit.

They used to allow smoking indoors here in restaurants and bars up until June of 2007, and I'm glad they no longer allow it - it was really gross!
However, the prevailing attitudes towards smoking in general these days can be a little irritating considering most people don't give a second thought to driving around everywhere.

And even with the catalytic converters I still wouldn't really wish for anybody to have to spend time indoors with a running vehicle. I get around mainly by bike, and along with my smoking habit, I feel the amount of car exhaust I end up is inhaling on a regular basis may be just as bad or worse.
Thanks! I posted my account of giving up here: http://www.city-data.com/forum/health-wellness/594699-any-advice-just-smoked-my-last-6.html There is a lot of good advice on that thread from many posters.

I have been in your shoes. I used to smoke from two to three pack each day. I had fellow employees that would not come anyplace close to me. I had fellow truck drivers that did not want to get in the trucks I drove. I agree; that it should be a free world - but I understand where these non-smokers and non-secondhand smokers are coming from. As I said in my account of giving up - I lost friends and I made friends when I gave up.

I cannot tell anybody to give up smoking - I would be wasting my time. My wife tried for a year to get me to give up; after she had given up. Only the smoker can finally come to their own decision on when to give up. And if that is not a strong conviction; you will never succeed.

In the meantime; you can hear the cries of the public. Many are against you. Nobody is going to make your life easier.

I am retired; but I do work part time for a large pharmaceutical company. It has many buildings and takes up about a square half a mile - and behind gates. Last year they went smoke free. The also discourage employees from leaving during breaks and lunch. The hand writing is on the wall.

PS My truck diesel fumes were worse.
 
Old 01-31-2012, 02:43 PM
 
Location: Interior AK
4,729 posts, read 8,610,611 times
Reputation: 3358
I firmly believe that the exhaust and smoke belching out of vehicles, factories and power plants is infinitely more harmful than cigarette smoke... even the modern commercial chemical-laden cigarettes.

Not saying that smoking and second hand smoke is good for anyone's health; but I'm not convinced that cigarettes are the big culprit in the lung cancer debate given all the toxic emissions we breathe everyday in our modern world. It's kind of like blaming a leaky faucet for water damage when your house has been hit by a flood.
 
Old 01-31-2012, 04:51 PM
 
Location: In the middle of nowhere with nothing
246 posts, read 478,124 times
Reputation: 197
People generally don't like to see other people smoking particularly fast food restaurant workers who handle food they may be consuming.Smoking next to or close to the entrance is rude and obviously uncalled for.The management is more to blame for letting it happen.Comparing car exhaust is useless,smoking is unnecessary, cars are necessary.Smoking is a totally wasteful unnecessary habit which makes millions of people sick every year just like the food from taco he'll.
 
Old 02-02-2012, 01:34 AM
 
642 posts, read 957,469 times
Reputation: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by No attitude View Post
People generally don't like to see other people smoking particularly fast food restaurant workers who handle food they may be consuming.Smoking next to or close to the entrance is rude and obviously uncalled for.The management is more to blame for letting it happen.Comparing car exhaust is useless,smoking is unnecessary, cars are necessary.Smoking is a totally wasteful unnecessary habit which makes millions of people sick every year just like the food from taco he'll.
Driving is not a wasteful habit? People spend a HUGE portion of their income on their personal vehicles. And all the wasted space in cities dedicated for the sole purpose of parking cars?

They say ants are the strongest creatures because they can carry from 20 to 50 times their weight. By that measure humans are the weakest because they require 4,000 pound vehicles to carry them around.

Also, there are probably just as many or more health issues caused by sedentary lifestyles induced by a car-dependent society.

And how many violent deaths do cigarettes cause in comparison to cars?

Cars are not necessarily any more necessary than cigarettes are to a smoker, but most Americans are way more hooked on cars than they ever were on smokes.
 
Old 02-02-2012, 04:51 PM
 
Location: In the middle of nowhere with nothing
246 posts, read 478,124 times
Reputation: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by abqpsychlist View Post
Driving is not a wasteful habit? People spend a HUGE portion of their income on their personal vehicles. And all the wasted space in cities dedicated for the sole purpose of parking cars?

They say ants are the strongest creatures because they can carry from 20 to 50 times their weight. By that measure humans are the weakest because they require 4,000 pound vehicles to carry them around.

Also, there are probably just as many or more health issues caused by sedentary lifestyles induced by a car-dependent society.

And how many violent deaths do cigarettes cause in comparison to cars?

Cars are not necessarily any more necessary than cigarettes are to a smoker, but most Americans are way more hooked on cars than they ever were on smokes.
So you are comparing ants to justify a poisonous habit?

I didn't say cars were "better" than smoking.

My thoughts are practical, not sure about yours.

You make no mention of electric vehicles which are already being used.There will never be a carless society in America for hundreds of years but smoking is blatantly careless to one's health and the others around them.

Your argument has no foundation. Slaves were used on tobacco farms and people who smoke are slaves to a poisonous product which greedy corporations promote for profit just like pepsi, coke or most fast food.Smokers should keep their cigarettes to themselves or quit.Imagine what could be done with all of the money spent on cigarettes every year by addicted consumers in building a better cycling infrastructure or improving public transportation. The same goes with alcohol which can be worse because it is too often combined with driving with devastating consequences.

Now that would be a valid comparison, cigarettes to soft drinks or alcohol.Ants not so much.

Just fyi i am an avid cyclist who tries to walk or bike as many place as possible but it is not practical to bike everywhere..Unless you live and work in a city or urban center with decent transporation and cycling infrastructure or live close to work cycling everywhere is not currently practical.I understand the politics and reasons of auto products, corporations and consumer demand and have lived all over the country.

Last edited by No attitude; 02-02-2012 at 05:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top