U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 12:38 PM

4,729 posts, read 8,610,611 times

Advertisements

You can normally just return the UPC proof-of-purchase instead of the whole box. For things with warranty or guarantee, I only save the original packaging if the warranty states the item must be returned in it (which is usually mail back to the manufacturer, not retailer). I usually just cut out the UPC, write when the guarantee period ends on it, and staple it to the receipt. For things that need original packaging, I put a sticky on the box with the "expiration" date so I can throw it away after the return period, but keep the receipt filed separately, usually with a note like "box in hall closet".

As for LED replacements for conventional lamps, I still don't like the way they throw light. LED is not omnidirectional light, and putting a gajillion diodes all over a curved surface still doesn't give you omnidirectional light just the disco ball effect (even the ones with diffusers). I do, however, still prefer LED for bright spot/task lighting (like under cabinets or my outdoor security lights) where color rendering or reading isn't an issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 03:12 PM

15,924 posts, read 17,373,501 times
I have a few flashlights and have replaced all of them with LED flashlights. I have one pencil flashlight I use on almost a daily basis and after over three years still have yet to replace the batteries in it.

Old 02-09-2012, 03:38 PM

14,270 posts, read 11,624,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
I have a few flashlights and have replaced all of them with LED flashlights. I have one pencil flashlight I use on almost a daily basis and after over three years still have yet to replace the batteries in it.
I picked up several of the little nine LED flashlights for about $2 each. They are about four inches long and an inch in diameter - they fit easily in your pocket. I love them. We went without power for three days during Irene last year. I used them all the time and I am still using them without ever replacing the batteries. I love the little push button switch on them - most ‘regular’ flashlights would have failed with the amount that I have used these lights. I would highly recommend these to anyone. The company name of the ones I have is Metrix. I bought mine at Tractor Supply - but I have seen them at many other stores. Even Harbor Freight Salvage advertises them.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:52 AM

277 posts, read 562,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
As for LED replacements for conventional lamps, I still don't like the way they throw light. LED is not omnidirectional light, and putting a gajillion diodes all over a curved surface still doesn't give you omnidirectional light just the disco ball effect (even the ones with diffusers). I do, however, still prefer LED for bright spot/task lighting (like under cabinets or my outdoor security lights) where color rendering or reading isn't an issue.
The Philips and Ecosmart bulbs I buy from Home Depot are Omnidirectional and work just fine for replacing an incandescent bulb.

Old 02-10-2012, 10:28 AM

601 posts, read 1,633,156 times
I tried the "cheaper" ones they sell at Lowes yesterday. They're called Utilitech Pro and aren't too bad. They could optimize the colors though.

Old 02-15-2012, 05:12 PM

12,545 posts, read 18,380,554 times
I bought two flood lamp bulbs at Costco for my outside driveway light. Put them in about 2 months ago, and they are great. these are 120 watt replacements, and I paid $28 each. Energy savings will be nice, but really hoping for the longevity due to the location of the bulbs.

I bought 2 LED bulbs for my ceiling fans. $6 each instead of $3 for a pack of two incandescent. I like the light better actually, but hoping prices drop a little bit more quickly.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:24 AM

156 posts, read 327,060 times
I buy my LED'S online at a discount place and started buying from them in early 2004 when I built my retirement home and I have now added LED lights to my driveway and the outside of my house and put them around and in my koi pond and my electric bill right now for a 2440 sq. ft. house that has to be all electric because I live in a rural area of VA cost me 100 dollars a month and that is with a heat pump .All my TV's are now LED and so are my computer monitors ,the others I donated to my local church .The koi pond pump is the only thing I think that burns the most electric ,besides the heat pump .Those are as energy efficient as I could find .Thinking of adding a wind and sun turbine from dyocore to my house .I am up on a hill so it is almost windy all the time .I like the fact there are no batteries for it and it switches on and off grid all by itself .No work involved .It has it's own control box

Old 02-28-2012, 08:56 AM

595 posts, read 737,307 times
I just replaced my conventional bulb (outside light for my condo on every night) with an LED and really happy with the savings and light . As for the wind turbine be very careful before installation as the county may have certain restrictions although your open space doesn't denote a hazard /view problem that a friend of mine experienced.

Das

Old 02-28-2012, 02:34 PM

2,767 posts, read 2,291,672 times
In my kitchen I have recessed lighting with a mixture of cfl and led bulbs. The difference between the cfl's and LED's is like night and day. No contest. LEDs blow the CFL's away. The LEDs eluminate the whole counter top under them. Under the CFL's the white counter top looks like a murky, dim orange puke color. And yet the LEDs use less energy.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:51 PM

15,924 posts, read 17,373,501 times
Do they make LED lights for range hoods?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or