Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 08:17 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,951,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
Speculation is way too strong a word. There is a swing of about 0.5 °C about what has been a pretty consistent trend line for the past 50 years. We have absolutely no information that would suggest that the long term trend has been arrested. But forecasting the future is always an educated guess. Speculation is a guess without a basis, we have a very strong basis for our belief that the trend will continue.
Speculation is an opinion or evaluation that is not verifiable or validated in its assumption.

Speculation is a guess, the level of reasonableness to its assumption is irrelevant to its definition. It is still a guess.

It is simple. Either you know and can validate such (making it a fact), or you are speculating a given outcome.

The fact that you try so hard to spin the meaning of speculation is absurd and shows an extremely strong bias to a given outcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 08:49 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,993,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Speculation is an opinion or evaluation that is not verifiable or validated in its assumption.

Speculation is a guess, the level of reasonableness to its assumption is irrelevant to its definition. It is still a guess.

It is simple. Either you know and can validate such (making it a fact), or you are speculating a given outcome.

The fact that you try so hard to spin the meaning of speculation is absurd and shows an extremely strong bias to a given outcome.
Actually I periodically appear as an expert witness in legal venues and speculation has a very specific meaning in that environment. It means an uninformed guess. The projection that warming will continue is based upon a substantial body of scientific evidence, and is thus not speculation.

Not spining, just using the English language with precision.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Actually I periodically appear as an expert witness in legal venues and speculation has a very specific meaning in that environment. It means an uninformed guess. The projection that warming will continue is based upon a substantial body of scientific evidence, and is thus not speculation.

Not spining, just using the English language with precision.
*chuckle*

That isn't how science works. It isn't "horse shoes and hand grenades" where "close enough" is sufficient.

Science is a process of verification, validation, and replication. A guess regardless of how "informed" it may be is still... a guess and the process of establishing fact in science is not established by best guesses.

Maybe you should apply your "precision" more to the process of science?

You did read the posts I provided concerning the BEST data did you not? You do realize it is still in peer review? You do realize Muller's own statements concerning the findings do you not? Heck, even Hansen (activist researcher) isn't stating such in terms of fact or certainty.

Lastly, it is speculation, as even by your legal definition it is a guess based on what they believe to be evidence supporting such, a speculation as to the conclusion.

Need I remind you that "correlation != causation", its a, you know... principal of science?

Last edited by Nomander; 02-17-2012 at 10:15 AM..

Old 02-17-2012, 11:02 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,993,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
*chuckle*

That isn't how science works. It isn't "horse shoes and hand grenades" where "close enough" is sufficient.

Science is a process of verification, validation, and replication. A guess regardless of how "informed" it may be is still... a guess and the process of establishing fact in science is not established by best guesses.

Maybe you should apply your "precision" more to the process of science?

You did read the posts I provided concerning the BEST data did you not? You do realize it is still in peer review? You do realize Muller's own statements concerning the findings do you not? Heck, even Hansen (activist researcher) isn't stating such in terms of fact or certainty.

Lastly, it is speculation, as even by your legal definition it is a guess based on what they believe to be evidence supporting such, a speculation as to the conclusion.

Need I remind you that "correlation != causation", its a, you know... principal of science?
Yeah I know all those things. I was hoping that you could learn some too. I notice that most of the adjectives you use about climate change research have pejorative connotation. I was attempting to move the conversation to a more scientific and dispassionate level.

I think your point about correlation ≠ causation while true is woefully simplistic. Where we see correlation we look for potential causation. In the case of anthropogenic climate change we find both. We know from fundamental science that CO2 is a greenhouse gas. So we have at least one of the culprits that is contributing to the current climate change.

Old 02-17-2012, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Yeah I know all those things. I was hoping that you could learn some too. I notice that most of the adjectives you use about climate change research have pejorative connotation. I was attempting to move the conversation to a more scientific and dispassionate level.
Yet your responses have been very unscientific. You proclaim guesses as if they were conclusions and your bias to a position is extremely obvious.

Quote:
I think your point about correlation ≠ causation while true is woefully simplistic. Where we see correlation we look for potential causation. In the case of anthropogenic climate change we find both. We know from fundamental science that CO2 is a greenhouse gas. So we have at least one of the culprits that is contributing to the current climate change.
Your explanation is exactly why that principal is established. What you explain is contrary to the scientific method. You do not see correlation and attempt to identify links by establishing potential causation. You make an assumption and then test it looking for any possible weakness in that assumption, otherwise you end up simply searching for means to prove your assumption correct by selecting the most plausible conclusion that explains your assumption. That is as they say "bass ackwards".

we know some about CO2, but we have only assumptions as to its interactions and roles within our system to any conclusive means concerning climate. Your language immediately attempts to specify it to a position that can not be validated by claiming it is a culprit.

Your entire approach to the reasoning of the issue is to look for a means to prove the assumption correct and, as I said... that is NOT scientific.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living