U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 01:42 PM

4,729 posts, read 8,613,009 times

Advertisements

Interesting point, pigeonhole. I find hypocrites more annoying that cynics because at least the cynics are being honest even if you don't agree with them. But the ultimate cheek-chappers for me are the hypocrite cynics. You know these folks, all full of every reason why they are special and somehow exempt from having to do any common sense thing just because it might be seen as green -- like they are actively anti-green for no good reason other than to be contentious. They'll argue for hours about why x-and-such is a hoax or it doesn't apply to them, so why should they do a-b-c? When really it's just that they're too lazy or greedy to be inconvenienced. I mean, if you don't want to do something, fine, but you don't have to lie and make up rationalizations... just admit that you can't be bothered. If admitting that you can't be bothered makes you feel squidgy, then you know what you're doing is wrong (in your own view, not in someone else's view).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 07:39 PM

4,054 posts, read 6,400,624 times
Missingall4seasons,

I am from Amish country and I disagree with post. While there are some Amish to have modified their use of modern ways the majority still remains as they were.

"The Amish have nothing to do with green." I have to laugh at this statement. There is no group short of some remote tribe on the Amazon that have not been discovered that might be more green than the Amish. Are you trying to say that in order to be green you must declare yourself of being green and that living in a harmonious way with the earth doesn't count?

If our society, "the english," lived half as green as the Amish this would be a far far better place.

The only thing the Amish might be guilty of is having a cow that farts too much.

Old 03-14-2012, 08:34 PM

7,288 posts, read 10,814,140 times
It's not "hypocritical" - it is more unaware or incongruant.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:21 PM

4,729 posts, read 8,613,009 times
You misunderstand me -- the Amish lifestyle may very well be green, but they don't live that way to be green and not everything they do is green. My family and I are also from Amish country, and some of my extended family is Amish. Labeling their lifestyle would be considered prideful and therefore against their tenet of humility.

While someone's religious or theological/philosophical beliefs may lead them to live more in harmony with the natural world (what we consider green), being green is not the primary motivation or goal behind their choices (unless "Green" is the philosophy they live by).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living