Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2016, 01:00 AM

6,326 posts, read 6,585,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe33 View Post
Because there is too much money to be made for universities and certain businesses by the continuation of the Great Lie.
Universities make much more money in the corporate friendly research, and guess who sits on the University boards of Trustees, the ultimate authority on university life and research? Yup, (former) top corporate brass and lawyers mostly. Universities go above and beyond not to bite the feeding corporate hands, but there is so much you can do without losing credibility.

Human environmental&climate impact is beyond scientific doubt. I am amazed that you don't deny arsons on the grounds that forest fires existed long before human like apes clumbed down the trees. Yes, I believe certain impressionable left leanining types take global warming cause (among other leftist favorites) so seriously they lose their rational faculties, it becomes good vs evil, we vs them recitations requiring no brain power, but unfortunately objective reality of humans impacting environment on the grand scale is not affected by the leftist tendencies to create a cult of each and every cause they embrace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2016, 07:00 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,541,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
Universities make much more money in the corporate friendly research, and guess who sits on the University boards of Trustees, the ultimate authority on university life and research? Yup, (former) top corporate brass and lawyers mostly. Universities go above and beyond not to bite the feeding corporate hands, but there is so much you can do without losing credibility.

Human environmental&climate impact is beyond scientific doubt. I am amazed that you don't deny arsons on the grounds that forest fires existed long before human like apes clumbed down the trees. Yes, I believe certain impressionable left leanining types take global warming cause (among other leftist favorites) so seriously they lose their rational faculties, it becomes good vs evil, we vs them recitations requiring no brain power, but unfortunately objective reality of humans impacting environment on the grand scale is not affected by the leftist tendencies to create a cult of each and every cause they embrace.
Always enjoy your perspective RM.

I think Upton Sinclair hit some of this pretty well, over 100 years ago.

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it."

(pretty interesting and moral guy, btw >>> https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Upton_Sinclair )

That is why I noted that Joe33's tagline was Wyoming.

Powder River Basin has been taking a BIG hit in the Coal die-off, and Frack Gas and Oil is not doing so well as hoped, either.

On the other hand . . . Wyoming has Great Wind Resources, it looks Good July Solar Insolation (July is premium Peak, and since Wyoming is "North" of 30 degrees it has a longer Solar Day if trackers are used),

http://www.nrel.gov/gis/images/map_p...ly_dec2008.jpg

along with likely some incredible Geo-Thermal considering the Yellowstone Caldera.

http://www.wsgs.wyo.gov/docs/wsgs-web-geothermal.pdf

Old 06-26-2016, 04:59 PM

1,168 posts, read 1,225,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
Always enjoy your perspective RM.

I think Upton Sinclair hit some of this pretty well, over 100 years ago.

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it."

(pretty interesting and moral guy, btw >>> https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Upton_Sinclair )

That is why I noted that Joe33's tagline was Wyoming.

Powder River Basin has been taking a BIG hit in the Coal die-off, and Frack Gas and Oil is not doing so well as hoped, either.

On the other hand . . . Wyoming has Great Wind Resources, it looks Good July Solar Insolation (July is premium Peak, and since Wyoming is "North" of 30 degrees it has a longer Solar Day if trackers are used),

http://www.nrel.gov/gis/images/map_p...ly_dec2008.jpg

along with likely some incredible Geo-Thermal considering the Yellowstone Caldera.

http://www.wsgs.wyo.gov/docs/wsgs-web-geothermal.pdf

Phillip.
Actually most of my money comes from either HVACR or Renewable energy projects. I have a lot of patents for inverters and perhaps even the chargers you use. I design and build much of the top of the line power conversion equipment for 2 of the Largest windmill companies and inverter drives for variable speed HVAC equipment. All I do for Fossil fuels is SCADA communications.

The vast majority of it is driven by Climate change. So if it wasent for climate change, I might be broke.

A thing about those great wind resources. The windmill has become the state tree in Wyoming. However they are seldom turning. The wind just dosent seem to cooperate and blow when it is needed.

Yellowstone is owned by the FEDS. Not Wyoming. It is not even under Wyoming state law at all. It is a Federal Reservation.

Remembermee

Isnt this what I said?

"Universities make much more money in the corporate friendly research, and guess who sits on the University boards of Trustees, the ultimate authority on university life and research? Yup, (former) top corporate brass and lawyers mostly. Universities go above and beyond not to bite the feeding corporate hands, but there is so much you can do without losing credibility."

Anyhow. All I hear from the global warming crowd is trust us. We know it all, You dont know squat. Just like you said.

By the way, I also make prepping supplies and some weapons parts. However I dont believe that the world is coming to an end or we are going to war. It is called business. Being in business requires common sense. You make what people want to buy. Unlike the global warming mess which is about making people buy things that they really dont want. Just scare them a lot and they will comply. The age old way of getting rich. Great gig, but Unfortunately sooner or later the people find out and put your head on a pike...

Last edited by Joe33; 06-26-2016 at 05:51 PM..

Old 06-27-2016, 07:08 AM

6,326 posts, read 6,585,426 times
Joe33. Don't trust us, trust your common sense. Explosive human expansion has changed the face of the Earth in the blink of a geological time, how one could possibly pretend that enormous manmade changes can't affect anything? Yet, the people who want to buy stuff they want to buy, do things they want to do excelled at denial of the obvious, because environmental survival threats are viewed as removed, and socio-economic threats and longings are much more immediate. That's how locust swarms behave. In other words, what we the humans do is 100% natural, we behave just like other lifeforms would behave given an evolutionary advantage. It's just that a human swarm is global and all consuming. Mother Earth, so to speak, could have commited suicide by letting the intelligent locust out of an evolutionary bottle.

As for the global conspiracy to control SUV craving populace, there is nothing more controlling than high population densities. Most of the restrictions arise by popular demand not by an invisible hand of the global conspirators. There is no reason too small to call cops on your neighbors, eventually that translates to all encompassing regulations of activities and behavior. I am sorry, but 7 billions humans restricted their freedoms big time regardless of the global conspirators.

Old 06-27-2016, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe33 View Post
Phillip.
Actually most of my money comes from either HVACR or Renewable energy projects. I have a lot of patents for inverters and perhaps even the chargers you use. I design and build much of the top of the line power conversion equipment for 2 of the Largest windmill companies and inverter drives for variable speed HVAC equipment. All I do for Fossil fuels is SCADA communications.
Sounds like we work along some very similar areas.

Quote:
The vast majority of it is driven by Climate change. So if it wasent for climate change, I might be broke.
Everyone is sort of sick of the Pollution and Oil, as well -- since we know better we can do better.

Quote:
A thing about those great wind resources. The windmill has become the state tree in Wyoming. However they are seldom turning. The wind just dosent seem to cooperate and blow when it is needed.
I am not a great fan (nyuk, nyuk) of Big Wind. At least On Shore. It does not have a particularly useful Production Time Clock when compared to the Time-of-Use Clock.

Looking at some of the Deep Blue Water wind maps, I suspect there are some remote process angles that are waiting to be worked.

Quote:
Yellowstone is owned by the FEDS. Not Wyoming. It is not even under Wyoming state law at all. It is a Federal Reservation.
Understood. That description maps close to the U of W study that was linked.

I am thinking at some future point Geo-thermal will eventually time-map into Deep Night, so that little to no Storage of PV will be required. -- talking some decades out. For now, we have a big mess of Existing Coal, Nuke, and NG to wind down.

Old 07-04-2016, 12:31 PM

9,885 posts, read 10,967,002 times
It would be incredibly stupid to install geo-thermal generating systems anywhere around or on the Yellowstone Caldera. Vulcanologists have been saying for years that it is overdue for an eruption. When it blows, (not "if it blows"), it will take a sizable portion of Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho with it, and could very well plunge the world into a "nuclear winter" due to the smoke and ash that will cover the earth!
I figure I will have about enough time to bend over and kiss my butt goodbye when it happens!

Old 07-05-2016, 01:40 PM

3,040 posts, read 4,998,605 times
Getting off of fossil fuels isn't going to be that easy when you start thinking about it's replacements and the energy they produce. The energy in one cubic mile of oil is tremendous, about 45 petawatts. The current consumption of energy world wide is about 15 terawatts, so in order to replace our oil consumption with renewables, this is leaving out nuks and coal power plants. These figures don't take into account the oil that is needed for transportation, agriculture, chemicals, lubricants or plastics.
It would take building 4 Three Gorges Dams a year for the next 50 years to replace 1 cubic mile of oil, the cost to build 200 of these dams, 6 trillion dollars.
It would take building 33,000 wind turbines a year for the next 50 years to replace 1 cubic mile of oil, the cost to build 1.6 billion wind turbines, a little over 3 trillion dollars.
It would take building 91,000,000 rooftop solar panels installs a year for the next 50 years to replace 1 cubic mile of oil, the cost to build 4.5 billion rooftop solar panels and install, 68 trillion dollars.

So the challenges of getting off fossil fuels it quite daunting and expensive.

Old 07-10-2016, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
Getting off of fossil fuels isn't going to be that easy when you start thinking about it's replacements and the energy they produce. The energy in one cubic mile of oil is tremendous, about 45 petawatts. The current consumption of energy world wide is about 15 terawatts, so in order to replace our oil consumption with renewables, this is leaving out nuks and coal power plants. These figures don't take into account the oil that is needed for transportation, agriculture, chemicals, lubricants or plastics.
It would take building 4 Three Gorges Dams a year for the next 50 years to replace 1 cubic mile of oil, the cost to build 200 of these dams, 6 trillion dollars.
It would take building 33,000 wind turbines a year for the next 50 years to replace 1 cubic mile of oil, the cost to build 1.6 billion wind turbines, a little over 3 trillion dollars.
It would take building 91,000,000 rooftop solar panels installs a year for the next 50 years to replace 1 cubic mile of oil, the cost to build 4.5 billion rooftop solar panels and install, 68 trillion dollars.

So the challenges of getting off fossil fuels it quite daunting and expensive.
Those are a lot of Numbers. Even Big Numbers.

But for a starter . . . Energy is not even measured in Watts (or Tera, or Peta) is rather measured in Watt-Hours. (or KWh, or MWh, or GWh, or TWh, etc.) Watts are just Power.

While that may sound trivial, if you do not know what you are citing, but this is a massive difference, so the stuff you are citing makes no sense?

Old 07-12-2016, 03:55 PM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
It would be incredibly stupid to install geo-thermal generating systems anywhere around or on the Yellowstone Caldera. Vulcanologists have been saying for years that it is overdue for an eruption. When it blows, (not "if it blows"), it will take a sizable portion of Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho with it, and could very well plunge the world into a "nuclear winter" due to the smoke and ash that will cover the earth!
I figure I will have about enough time to bend over and kiss my butt goodbye when it happens!

Chances of this happening in the lifetime of anyone currently living are incredibly slim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living