U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 06:07 PM

3,582 posts, read 5,310,825 times

Advertisements

I've run into a couple young women lately that are definitely of the Eco-conscious ilk with their organic gardening, cycling, composting, etc. who also don't own a microwave oven. Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't reheating something in an oven or stove top, be it natural gas or electricity, take more energy than reheating the same item in 1/5 the time in a microwave? Doesn't that correspond directly to CO2 and other emissions?

Is it something else about microwaves perhaps? That they symbolize instant gratification or cheap food?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 12:34 PM

433 posts, read 1,091,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
I've run into a couple young women lately that are definitely of the Eco-conscious ilk with their organic gardening, cycling, composting, etc. who also don't own a microwave oven. Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't reheating something in an oven or stove top, be it natural gas or electricity, take more energy than reheating the same item in 1/5 the time in a microwave? Doesn't that correspond directly to CO2 and other emissions?

Is it something else about microwaves perhaps? That they symbolize instant gratification or cheap food?
The idea is that Microwaves change the structure of food and can cause damage to those that eat the "changed" food.

I do know you are not supposed to microwave baby formula.

Old 03-21-2012, 06:40 PM

4,246 posts, read 7,841,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post

They probably cook from scratch more often and don't buy frozen dinners. We bring leftovers in our lunches, so use the microwaves at our workplaces. We barely need one at home.

Microwaves change the molecular structure of food, but so does cooking it using any method. Heat denatures proteins.

Warning: If anyone trots out that "watering plants with microwaved water" science project, I'll scream.

Old 03-21-2012, 11:46 PM

23,422 posts, read 28,272,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qdogfball View Post
The idea is that Microwaves change the structure of food and can cause damage to those that eat the "changed" food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
They probably cook from scratch more often and don't buy frozen dinners. We bring leftovers in our lunches, so use the microwaves at our workplaces. We barely need one at home.

Microwaves change the molecular structure of food, but so does cooking it using any method. Heat denatures proteins.

Warning: If anyone trots out that "watering plants with microwaved water" science project, I'll scream.
The problem with microwaving baby formula is that it may be heated unevenly, with risk of a burn. If it is heated gently, not boiled, and mixed thoroughly, that is not a concern.

High heat could destroy some of the benefits of breast milk (antibodies), so microwave heating of breast milk is not a good idea.

Microwaving food heats it, as seattle says. Eating food heated in a microwave will not harm you.

I had to look up the science project. Neatly debunked by Snopes.

Old 03-22-2012, 11:43 AM

3,252 posts, read 6,333,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qdogfball View Post

Please quote a reliable documented source for 'changing the structure', something like NEJOM, or Nature. We are waiting.

Old 03-23-2012, 03:12 PM

8,487 posts, read 5,904,785 times
Whether or not you think microwaving is harmful, it taste nasty. Why debate the harm of microwave radiation? Why not use something like convection or infrared? They have models that are fast and cost about the same as a microwave.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:56 PM

7,288 posts, read 10,858,512 times
I personally have not done the research, but I just read that Russia banned microwaves a very long time ago because of the health risks . . .don't know if that is true or false. I think changing the structure of the food could be a health risk - a little internet research could probably clear up the question quicker than a thread on CD asking random people what they know . . .

Old 03-23-2012, 11:55 PM

23,422 posts, read 28,272,492 times
Google brings up pages of crackpot sites claiming we are all going to be killed by our microwaves.

Heating food with microwaves does not change the food any more than heating it in a pan on the top of the stove or in an oven.

Cooking in a microwave may actually preserve vitamins in some veggies by reducing the amount of water used.

Is Microwaved Food Dangerous? The myths and the facts. | ehealthMD

Some foods will do better cooked in the oven, such as meats, but for reheating leftovers the microwave cannot be beaten.

It does not look like microwave ovens are banned in Russia.

http://www.researchandmarkets.com/re...owave_oven.pdf

Old 03-24-2012, 06:18 PM

8,398 posts, read 9,891,547 times
Maybe you are confusing naturalist with people who are trying to rid the world of harmful crud?

Old 03-26-2012, 05:22 AM

41,492 posts, read 51,385,768 times
IIRC a microwave overn heats foods by electrically vibrating the water molocules. The energy absorbed does not "change the molceular structure" until the food becomes over heated and the heat breaks down the material. I do not see any threat posed by microwaved Pizza or coffee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or