Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: do you agree with using genetic engineering to move spinach genes into citrus trees to protect from
i am perfectly ok with this technology in this instance 3 15.79%
since i have yet to hear the word 'monsanto' used, i may be ok with this 1 5.26%
i might allow for this, since it involves moving genes from one plant to another 0 0%
i am against using genetic engineering in this and every other instance, no matter what. 12 63.16%
other - please elaborate 3 15.79%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 06:53 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,489,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
chestnuts resprout over and over again, only to be killed back by chestnut blight, then resprout, ad nauseum. if your sprouts came from trees, why are these trees sprouting in the first place? it's because they are continuously killed back by the fungus, but the roots stay alive. so, unfortunately, i wouldn't get my hopes up if i were you.

how long have we been waiting for a truly chestnut-blight-resistant chestnut to emerge from traditional breeding programs? 60 years? 70?

we should wait 70+ years for this 'process' to develop for citrus, while in the meantime billions of dollars worth of production gets wiped out by a disease which we appear to have true remedy for, simply because a certain contingent is terrified of the idea of putting a couple of spinach genes into citrus?
We could cause more than 70 years of problems if this genetic engineering game has unforeseen consequences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 07:42 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
chestnuts resprout over and over again, only to be killed back by chestnut blight, then resprout, ad nauseum. if your sprouts came from trees, why are these trees sprouting in the first place? it's because they are continuously killed back by the fungus, but the roots stay alive. so, unfortunately, i wouldn't get my hopes up if i were you.
My chestnut sprouts are from seed.

Their parents were NOT killed back by Dutch Elm disease, they have survived.

The way that it works is that you use surviving trees to cross-breed to make fertile seed. Those seeds are sprouted to make a new generation of trees.

Then you see how many of those trees survive.

These sprouts are F4 [I thought I explained this already].

They are NOT first Gen, they are F4.

Old 05-04-2012, 03:25 PM

I just finished planting them. He was supposed to have given me five chestnut sprouts. So I went out into the forest with five stakes to mark where they are planted. As it turned out though he had put nine chestnut sprouts in the back he gave me.

Old 05-18-2012, 11:34 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,626,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
If these anti-science nutcases had it their way we'd still be living in the dark ages.
Hang on a min, not everyone who doesn't want to eat midified food is an anti-science nutcase thanks.

Quote:
hmm, maybe. there would be no reason to ever use antibiotics on corn, though.
I wouldn't say that. I know for an "off the record" fact that a certain huge chicken corporation feeds their chickens with feed that is covered with hormones, and antibiotics, and chemicals to grow them faster with less medical issues.

And you never know, scientists might one day find out that if you grow your veggies with antibiotics, then they will provide some sort of resistance to dangerous bacterias.

Quote:
how long have we been waiting for a truly chestnut-blight-resistant chestnut to emerge from traditional breeding programs? 60 years? 70?
Which is hardly the blink of an eye, in evolutionary terms. Things take time.

Old 05-19-2012, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
... I wouldn't say that. I know for an "off the record" fact that a certain huge chicken corporation feeds their chickens with feed that is covered with hormones, and antibiotics, and chemicals to grow them faster with less medical issues.
I have chickens, I market eggs.

To my observation ALL commercial layer-feed is loaded with estrogen.

Let me say that again, this is no exaggeration. In this area, we have five companies that market chicken layer-feed. A hardware store chain, a livestock and pet store chain, a tractor equipment store chain, and two feed / grain warehouse outlets. I have bought feed from each of them.

All feed marketed for laying chickens; in all five of these outlets, use an estrogen source as their protein source.

Estrogen in food causes:
females to mature faster,
females ovulate more frequently,
males have a higher rate of being sterile.

High levels of estrogen is present in all chicken layer feed sold in all five of the feed outlets in this area.

Quote:
... Which is hardly the blink of an eye, in evolutionary terms. Things take time.
True.

Old 05-19-2012, 07:33 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,626,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I have chickens, I market eggs.

To my observation ALL commercial layer-feed is loaded with estrogen.

Let me say that again, this is no exaggeration. In this area, we have five companies that market chicken layer-feed. A hardware store chain, a livestock and pet store chain, a tractor equipment store chain, and two feed / grain warehouse outlets. I have bought feed from each of them.

All feed marketed for laying chickens; in all five of these outlets, use an estrogen source as their protein source.

Estrogen in food causes:
females to mature faster,
females ovulate more frequently,
males have a higher rate of being sterile.

High levels of estrogen is present in all chicken layer feed sold in all five of the feed outlets in this area.

True.

Yup!

Which is why my Dad grows acreage for his own feed for his chickens, from heriloom seed that is not sprayed in addition to the bugs and junk they find on their own. His hens are little compared to the super-size hens you find in stores, but they are healthy and have a good layer of fat on them, and the eggs are brown and to die for!

Old 05-19-2012, 04:19 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,929,335 times
Now who gets to own the patent and gets to tell farmers what to do?

People completely overlook the IP issue when it comes to GMOs and the dangers allowing single entities to control huge swaths of food production/crops poses. There needs to be food that comes under control of no one and that is IP issue free.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:41 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,542,421 times
a good article on this topic.

A Race to Save the Orange by Altering Its DNA - NYTimes.com

Quote:
To slow the spread of the bacterium that causes the scourge, they chopped down hundreds of thousands of infected trees and sprayed an expanding array of pesticides on the winged insect that carries it. But the contagion could not be contained.

They scoured Central Florida’s half-million acres of emerald groves and sent search parties around the world to find a naturally immune tree that could serve as a new progenitor for a crop that has thrived in the state since its arrival, it is said, with Ponce de León. But such a tree did not exist.

In all of cultivated citrus, there is no evidence of immunity,” the plant pathologist heading a National Research Council task force on the disease said.

Old 07-29-2013, 02:02 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,761,684 times
Natural Selection!

Just because you can doesn't mean you should - Science, Scientist and the Corporations that 'bribe' them can go too FAR!

Old 07-29-2013, 08:38 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,194,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturen View Post
Natural Selection!

Just because you can doesn't mean you should - Science, Scientist and the Corporations that 'bribe' them can go too FAR!

Why just stop at Science, Scientist and the Corporations?

Mankind building dams and rivers, irrigating so their crops won't die.

Taking seeds/plants/animals with them because the climate where they live won't support them anymore...

Man moving from one area of the Earth to another because their local climate changed.

Mankind should not be allowed to use the brain it has...

It should all be outlawed, LET NATURE TAKE IT'S OWN COURSE!

Last edited by plwhit; 07-29-2013 at 08:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living