U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 12:34 PM

29,988 posts, read 37,095,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George View Post
One of the things I tried VERY hard to get my own kids to see, is the actual cost of owning/operating a vehicle. It's astounding.

One of the worst parts of it is that, except for extremely rare situations, a vehicle never does anything but DECLINE in value. And if you always spend your money on things that decline in value, you'll always be poor.

...at least that's my way of making myself feel better about the fact that I drive crap.
Well, when put in that perspective, my 2008 hybrid has maintained better value than those same US dollars today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 12:36 PM

13,720 posts, read 25,457,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
I don't know much about the battery issue other than just basic awareness of it. Are the batteries in hybrids and electrics the same? What rare metals are used in the electric motors?

This article is optimistic about recycling those batteries:
When an Electric Car Dies, What Will Happen to the Battery?: Scientific American

but who knows where the Prius batteries will actually end up.
Most hybrids use nickel-metal hydride batteries. Most plug in electrics use lithium ion. All nmh batteries are recycled if you buy replacements at a Toyota dealer. They are not really a DIY service item. I trust Toyota and Honda enough that these batteries do not end up in a landfill.

Old 04-12-2012, 01:46 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,298,631 times
OK. Consider the source and who runs ads on their network all day long.
Case closed.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:21 PM

30,630 posts, read 49,275,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
OK. Consider the source and who runs ads on their network all day long.
Case closed.
???

Old 04-13-2012, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
???
I'll take that to mean you don't watch msnBS and therefore do not see the barrage of PR commercials to make the Oil & Gas industry look like economy saving, job creating, earth nurturing angels.

Old 04-13-2012, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
I'll take that to mean you don't watch msnBS and therefore do not see the barrage of PR commercials to make the Oil & Gas industry look like economy saving, job creating, earth nurturing angels.
Our township has no cable, nor broadcast TV [since they shutdown high-power TV broadcast]. I do not make a habit of surfing the WWW to try and find TV commercials.

So 'no' I have not seen any Oil & Gas Industry propaganda.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:00 PM

8,487 posts, read 5,886,602 times
It is always going to be value perceived. From the descriptions here some didn't feel the vehicle compared to alternates in areas unrelated to the "electric" aspect. For many practicality is important. Meaning, cost to use, repair then comfort and safety.

I don't think electric vehicles have ever been given a fair shake. Early on vehicles were mostly electric, but this changed due to where money was being made on oil/gas then wear and tear from combustible engines. Combustibles and electronics are just a nutty combo.

The article doesn't say much, but this was significant I think.
quote:
However, hybrid owners appear to maintain brand loyalty when returning to the new car market. For example, in 2011, 60 percent of Toyota hybrid owners returned to the market to purchase another Toyota, according to Polk, while 41 percent of them purchased another hybrid from any brand. In the case of Honda hybrid owners, more than 52 percent of them stayed with the Honda brand, while just under 20 percent of this same owner group bought another hybrid vehicle from any brand.

Old 04-15-2012, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Our township has no cable, nor broadcast TV [since they shutdown high-power TV broadcast]. I do not make a habit of surfing the WWW to try and find TV commercials.

So 'no' I have not seen any Oil & Gas Industry propaganda.
Very good. By default, this would actually make your town one of the most informed in the country.

Old 04-15-2012, 08:38 AM

8,163 posts, read 13,149,627 times
The main problem is that you are paying more for a hybrid but are not doing that much better on gas mileage. If a regular car gets 20mpg and you buy a hybrid and get 28mpg, is it worth $5000 more on the purchase price? Clean diesel engines and hydro-cell are so much better when it comes to added gas mileage. Would you rather go from 20 to 28 or 20 to 60 or possible 80mpg? Obviously if you paid $5000 more and now were getting 60mpg or more you'd be thrilled as would all of us.

Old 04-15-2012, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
The main problem is that you are paying more for a hybrid but are not doing that much better on gas mileage.
We have been getting 50 to 52 mpg with our vehicle.

A week ago we make a road trip where we put 4100 miles on our vehicle. During that trip we averaged 62mpg.

[Four large adults plus all luggage as needed for attending a wedding]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or