Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2012, 09:30 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,189,698 times

Advertisements

Rooftop gardens, gotta love 'em....

Hey, Get growing! - NYPOST.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2012, 09:55 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,367,641 times
My wife & I live dead-center in the middle of our city, and we have 3 large gardens. Combined total of probably at least 1,000 square feet. Even without that much space, it's amazing how much produce you can grow if you put your mind (and back) to it.

Old 04-16-2012, 12:44 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,942,023 times
It's a common misconception that you need a large amount of open ground to produce food.Besides radiation (sunlight or grow lights) for photosynthesis, all plants need to grow is something to feed them and something to grow in -- whether that's soil in a "ground" garden, or compost in raised garden beds, potting mix in containers, or nutrient-rich liquid in aquaponics.

You can grow an amazing amount of food in non-conventional ways, for less cost and space than you might imagine, if you choose the right crops. You may not be able to grow every crop you want in the space and conditions you have, but can certainly grow some with a little effort. I wouldn't try to grow pumpkins or corn in a tiny window box on the 16th floor, but herbs, small roots and salad greens would work; and a large bush tomato in a 5 gallon pot might be too big for your step out "balcony", but a dwarf cherry tomato in a hanging basket would probably work.

Old 04-16-2012, 01:18 PM

398 posts, read 698,168 times
We're trying out some beans, parsley, basil, green & red bell peppers, jalapenos, and cucumbers - started from seed in our little apartment in central Maine. Already parsley and beans are doing well, peppers a little slower as it's not their time here yet but folks in the area have no trouble growing these in summer. There's plenty you can do wherever you are, if you have a stoop or outside balcony of some sort. I even managed to grow and keep herbs on the steps outside my NYC basement apartment when I lived there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living