U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 08:20 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,621,727 times

Advertisements

Good to hear about the attic fan! It gets so hot in my old house and I don't put on the a/c until nighttime. Maybe I won't have to with the fan in the attic.

Is it easy to install and do you have to cut a hole in the side of the attic? How do you turn it on and off?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 08:35 PM

3,441 posts, read 5,167,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
kinda like a clothesline, It always amazes me sitting in my sisters backyard near the pool at 98 degrees, yet no one hangs clothes out.....actually seems silly, having a back yard and hot temp, yet they run the dryers......go figure
(I don't)

love the idea of an attic fan, really makes a lot of sense.

Growing up in the sixties almost everyone had clothes out on lines in the summer, now it is seen as "ghetto" so very few do it anymore, and end up paying for something nature can do for free. But back then, few had dryers in their houses, we didn't get one until about 73.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:32 AM

943 posts, read 1,549,931 times
Default wiring the whole house fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by donie1 View Post
Good to hear about the attic fan! It gets so hot in my old house and I don't put on the a/c until nighttime. Maybe I won't have to with the fan in the attic.

Is it easy to install and do you have to cut a hole in the side of the attic? How do you turn it on and off?
Hi Donie1... The whole house fan is placed into the ceiling in a central location.. If its a one story house it may go at the beginning of the hall /at the end of the main living space so part of the fan can be seen on the ceiling, and the other half is on the floor in the attic.....Or (2nd floor) over the landing on the top of the staircase of the second floor. The whole house fan is wired up to electricity (of course),
and a wire is also attached to an "On/Off/Speed" switch box. That wiring is snaked through inside the walls and the switchbox is on the outside wall of the hallway below it.

... also, we installed one very inexpensive vinyl hinged louver vent in an attic window so when the whole house fan sucks the air into the attic, the louver with its wider panels open out and pushed the attic air outside (so the attic doesn't stay too hot either). You ought to have gable vents to allow air to escape.

If you really want to keep it cool and you already have a handyman that's KNOWS how to do the wiring, you may as well go a tiny bit further
and have him also install a small attic fan on a timer that sits in the louver vented window. That way you keep all that hot air flowing
during the day if you don't want warm air penetrating the rooms/walls below the attic for maximum coolness minus using the whole house fan during the hours you won't be there to enjoy the breeze.
Hope this helps.. don't forget about keeping NORTH and EAST windows open in the basement (screened) to bring in cool and shady ground air combined with the natural coolness of the basement. Oh, and you'd want to do a good cleaning of the basement too, just to avoid pulling up dust.
http://wholehousefans.us/faq.asp I found this also.. maybe it too can help answer questions, however, its all a fairly easy deal and will reward you for many years to come.

Last edited by CourageMom; 04-25-2012 at 08:57 AM..

Old 04-25-2012, 08:38 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,944,834 times
I had one with my first house...
Great thing to have... better than the window fans / stand alone fans during a hot summer...
To me.. better than AC as well because of the "fresh air" & no condensation dripping of the AC.

Close in performance to a central air I would say (which I have now but very rarely use = don't really need it only for that week or 2 out of a year).

Drawback of Attic fan = very very loud!

My "ideal" that I have now... saves electricity, very quiet (only good for spring & fall & the milder parts of summer...) = trees & the shades they provide = *free cooling*

Old 04-25-2012, 10:56 AM

1,550 posts, read 3,063,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyeats View Post
I had one with my first house...
Great thing to have... better than the window fans / stand alone fans during a hot summer...
To me.. better than AC as well because of the "fresh air" & no condensation dripping of the AC.

Close in performance to a central air I would say (which I have now but very rarely use = don't really need it only for that week or 2 out of a year).

Drawback of Attic fan = very very loud!

My "ideal" that I have now... saves electricity, very quiet (only good for spring & fall & the milder parts of summer...) = trees & the shades they provide = *free cooling*
I didn't find mine to that loud per say..you can definitely hear it tho. Would I have liked it to quieter; sure but it is tolerable, you can acclimate to the sound with no problem. While on the other side of the house I have to come and check to make sure I turned it off for the night.

Old 04-25-2012, 11:13 AM

Yes CM, a claification needs to be made: Air King has both window fans and WHOLE house ATTIC fans. The window type is about 50% less then the whole house attic fan which is install in the ceiling of the home. Also the whole house fan is NOT an attic fan which is install on the roof of the home pulls hot air out of the attic.

I made a mistake on the model number but is was a Air King..sorry about that I don't remember the model number. I had compared the window model to the ceiling model before I finally purchased the whole house ceiling mount model.

Last edited by eyewrist; 04-25-2012 at 11:22 AM..

Old 04-25-2012, 12:55 PM

943 posts, read 1,549,931 times
eyewrist.. Thanks!
its possible we are familiar with different fans entirely.. the whole house fan is mounted into the ceiling.. the attic fan is just that.. simply used to pull air out of the attic. the only attic fan I am familiar with is the one we have in our attic window likely because we have a metal roof.
It was great to post the fan names though.. certainly these interjections should raise interest.. We are definitly saving money though in this good alternative to cool air. WHen its REALLY CRAZY HOT we put on the ac for that "in emergency break glass" weather.
As for the noise..
It is noisy if you stand directly below the fan.. yes..
"Luke, I am your father"
but as stated, it becomes less noticeable, you get used to it like white noise. ...and it diffuses and real noises.. so it becomes merely a hummmm lulling you through the day.
Certainly more pleasant than a jack hammer if you want to compare sound for sound.

and please folks, don't forget to make some iced tea too

Old 04-25-2012, 04:32 PM

12,568 posts, read 13,980,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
kinda like a clothesline, It always amazes me sitting in my sisters backyard near the pool at 98 degrees, yet no one hangs clothes out.....actually seems silly, having a back yard and hot temp, yet they run the dryers......go figure
(I don't)...
I live in southern Portugal. Don't know anyone with a dryer, everyone just hangs their clothes out on the terrace.

Old 04-26-2012, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CourageMom View Post
eyewrist.. Thanks!
its possible we are familiar with different fans entirely.. the whole house fan is mounted into the ceiling.. the attic fan is just that.. simply used to pull air out of the attic. the only attic fan I am familiar with is the one we have in our attic window likely because we have a metal roof.
It was great to post the fan names though.. certainly these interjections should raise interest.. We are definitly saving money though in this good alternative to cool air. WHen its REALLY CRAZY HOT we put on the ac for that "in emergency break glass" weather.
As for the noise..
It is noisy if you stand directly below the fan.. yes..
"Luke, I am your father"
but as stated, it becomes less noticeable, you get used to it like white noise. ...and it diffuses and real noises.. so it becomes merely a hummmm lulling you through the day.
Certainly more pleasant than a jack hammer if you want to compare sound for sound.

and please folks, don't forget to make some iced tea too

Old 04-27-2012, 01:11 PM

738 posts, read 964,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyewrist View Post
Yes CM, a claification needs to be made: Air King has both window fans and WHOLE house ATTIC fans. The window type is about 50% less then the whole house attic fan which is install in the ceiling of the home. Also the whole house fan is NOT an attic fan which is install on the roof of the home pulls hot air out of the attic.

I made a mistake on the model number but is was a Air King..sorry about that I don't remember the model number. I had compared the window model to the ceiling model before I finally purchased the whole house ceiling mount model.
I was confused. I had an attic fan in the roof.

It was installed over the stairway to the attic with a wall switch near the door. It worked well sucking air through the house from the open windows. The first floor drapes lifted when it was on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living