U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 10:36 AM

1,550 posts, read 3,063,675 times

Advertisements

I read a discussion on whole house attic fans last year on CD. I remembered my great Aunt had one in her home in Louisiana and how comfortable it was during the night. I bought one last year and my handyman installed it in November 2011. Now 2012 and I must say it was a great investment! I turn it on late at night and early morning (5AM) and let it run a couple of hours. I close the house up and when I get back around 6PM the house is still cool; very cool. One of my friends came over and commented that it felt as if I had the AC on...I have'nt turned it on yet and I live in the Southwest but I must admit it's been cool this Spring during the nights and I do have trees in the yard so that also contributed to the coldness also. Electric bill was $54 in a 2000 sq ft, 30 year old home; this is a great investment.

PS
Do the basic stuff first before getting one though (i.e. storm windows or rechaulk your windows, screen doors and attic insulation) Alll contribute to the cost saving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 10:38 AM

2,319 posts, read 4,082,168 times
We had one in our house in TN, and we loved it. I agree that they are wonderful energy and money savers!

Old 04-23-2012, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermint View Post
We had one in our house in TN, and we loved it. I agree that they are wonderful energy and money savers!
Isn't it funny how we can get away from those basic things in life ( known as "Old School") which cost us little to nothing compared to the modern things that cost big $$$

Old 04-24-2012, 07:52 AM

15,561 posts, read 24,894,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyewrist View Post
Isn't it funny how we can get away from those basic things in life ( known as "Old School") which cost us little to nothing compared to the modern things that cost big $$$

kinda like a clothesline, It always amazes me sitting in my sisters backyard near the pool at 98 degrees, yet no one hangs clothes out.....actually seems silly, having a back yard and hot temp, yet they run the dryers......go figure
(I don't)

love the idea of an attic fan, really makes a lot of sense.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:47 AM

41,505 posts, read 51,222,776 times
We use an exhaust fan in a unused bedroom to achieve the same effect. We do not have an AC unit. Unfortunately we cannot use a clothesline in our condo. The assoc thinks it is too tacky and ghetto.

Old 04-24-2012, 11:37 AM

2,117 posts, read 5,298,631 times
What did it cost you to buy and install, if you don't mind me asking. Any particular make/model?

Old 04-24-2012, 04:37 PM

738 posts, read 964,794 times
I had one 2 houses ago. Opened windows on all 4 walls, opened attic door, and it cooled the house in minutes.

It will be a sure thing if I ever build new again.

Old 04-24-2012, 04:58 PM

943 posts, read 1,549,931 times
Default whole house fan $aves

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyewrist View Post
We bought a w.h. fan for about $350 - 375 a few years ago at the big blue
hardware everything store..not the orange one....AFTER we had new windows put in.. also we had new windows with screens installed on the north side of our basement (2 really tiny ones).. luckily there were two spots, one was a tiny window, the other was a coal chute we had a window made for the space ($75).

Our handy man cut a hole (square) in the ceiling on the top of the second floor staircase.. and we'd shut all of the windows and the cool air from the basement picked up speed and cooled off 1800 square feet of our hot brick Virginian foursquare. Sure if its 95 degrees and humid that's going to be a little bit of a challenge, but for the most part.. we only pay over a hundred dollars for our electric bill in July and August when we decide to put on the room air conditioners on those really stifling days.. otherwise its usually around $65-75
Yes its old school and its cool.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
What did it cost you to buy and install, if you don't mind me asking. Any particular make/model?
Air King 9166 20" I bought it at about 300 plus S&H. My handyman did several things that day (installed a new sink, faucet, disposal) along installing the fan was a total of $600.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
kinda like a clothesline, It always amazes me sitting in my sisters backyard near the pool at 98 degrees, yet no one hangs clothes out.....actually seems silly, having a back yard and hot temp, yet they run the dryers......go figure
(I don't)

love the idea of an attic fan, really makes a lot of sense.
I was like that to until an older lady asked me why did I use my dryer when it was so hot outside it would only take a hour for everything to dry. I now have 3 clothlines for all the clothes. I only use the dryer in the winter and allow the humid air back into the house through this special vent attached to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living